Big Denoise test - Intel Open Image Denoise vs others!

Here are comparison of Optix and OIDN. (Where OIDN is used with simple node setup with DiffCol pass and normal pass).

Check the bookshelf at the wall on the back, in Optix it is completely missing.

2 Likes

When it comes to finding the best combo, allow me to toss in another node setup which worked very well for rendering an image about 4 times faster than otherwise.

The way the normal data is branched and manipulated allowed for the recovery of nearly all detail that would’ve been lost otherwise (due to the gamma nodes and the sharpen node). It also works well with specular surfaces, leaves almost no noise behind, and uses just one denoise node.

Now of course it’s a 12 hour render because I wanted to maximize quality, but it shows that with the right setup, OIDN does “remove the last 10 percent of noise” far better than the built-in denoiser.

To note, LordOdin’s node setup causes quality issues here, because it makes the lightbulbs foggy.

3 Likes

Interesting approach, thanks for sharing! :+1:

How does it compare to this node setup?

You’re only modifying the albedo pass there, the details I recovered were only found in the normal data.

1 Like

Nope. No matter which setup I use, details in hair systems and normal maps are being crushed. Up to now, my best option remains high samples.

EDIT - for clarity, this is normal maps with tiny details. Larger detail normals are OK.

By the way, does anybody know the difference between the regular Image pass and the Noisy Image pass?

If the “internal” denoiser is enabled, image will return the image denoised by the internal denoiser, otherwise they are the same.

1 Like

In theory. You see here someone having problems:

I also think I have noticed differences.

1 Like

The Noisy Image pass is meant to provide a despeckled image, so if there’s a lighting effect with extremely low convergence, then the despeckler will interpret the brighter pixels as ‘fireflies’ and remove them.

Its purpose with Lukas’ denoiser is to avoid the issue where you would have bright squares all over the image. To resolve this usually means rendering with more samples.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications. :+1:

I also rendered that out. Here the result:

1 Like

I did not know that. Thank you.
Here the test with a scene with many fireflies:

Image output:

Noisy Image output:

2 Likes

Stefan Werner fixed the problem of excessive RAM usage. At 1920x1080 Blender uses about 3GB in my system with LordOdin nodes, with bit of penalty time compared to the previous version. Fix will be available in new buildbot builds tonight (or maybe before for some platforms).

3 Likes

This is so awesome.
Works perfectly.

Sorry for the naive question, but I can’t find any specific answer. Is this denoiser only compatible with Intel cpus? Are there any tests with AMD cpus?

This works for both CPUs. You can try it by downloading builds from buildbot.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. By the way, I downloaded your BMW scene but after rendering is done I get a white image. Am I doing something wrong?

No, that should not happen.
You make sure you are using the latest builds downloaded from here:

If it still does not work with the latest build on your computer, it should be reported. What is your OS?

EDIT:
@birdnamnam . Sorry, I tried the wrong blender version. Could you try again with latest builds from buildbot?

1 Like

Everything worked ok. I’m literally speechless…

OK, my results in @YAFU’s test are:
CPU: 5960X @ 4.2GHz,
RAM: 32gb (4x8gb) Corsair Vengeance 2400/C14
GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC 8gb

CPU+GPU: 8.22 sec
CPU only: 9.70 sec

I also tried the same scene with 200 samples and 100% FHD. It finished in 1 min and the quality was tremendous. These are great days for blender artists for sure! I’d like to try one of my old heavy scenes with a fraction of samples and compare the quality. If I make it, I’ll post here.

1 Like