Big Denoise test - Intel Open Image Denoise vs others!

I have asked here:

1 Like

I had already written it here.
So, the more Denoise nodes ( 6 pieces at LordOidin) I have, the higher the memory usage, the less geometry and textures I get into my memory.

It is not guaranteed that the developers are reading all the posts. That’s why issues need to be reported to be sure they are aware of it.

1 Like

Reported just in case:
https://developer.blender.org/T69006

OIDN can run with Buffers to save memory. But it s not implemented yet.

https://openimagedenoise.github.io/documentation.html

1 Like

Am i supposed to use the “Noisy Image” output? It seems to create very strange results with very low spp as you can see in the pic, even the image in the middle looks worse than the one on the left.

(image says passes but i means samples)

Comparison between LordOdin and Ace_Dragon Setup

1024x576
64 Samples

LordOdin with Normal and Albedo - 17sec - 2,461 GB

Ace_Dragon-Setup - 15sec - 1,108 GB

Ace_Dragon-Modified-Setup - 27sec - 4,308 GB

Here’s my setup modified to mix LordOdin’s setup into the finishing process rather than the single OIDN denoise noide for the noisy composite.
DenoiseCombine2.blend (993.3 KB)

This is a significantly more heavyweight solution, but I tried it on a long re-render of a detailed scene at 1250x1250 pixels and it eliminated just about all noise with no detail loss.

Hi Ace_Dragon,

thanks for the setup.
I have updated the above post.

The node setup (8xDenoise node) consumes too much RAM.

As long as the Denoise node is not optimized, these setups are suboptimal.
YAFU has already written a bug report.
https://developer.blender.org/T69006

Please look again here

Is there already a consensus about the best simple OIDN denoiser Compositor node setup? I mean one you can remember and manually construct within about 30 seconds. :slightly_smiling_face:

Where can I find the LordOdin Node-Setup? Is there a blend file available? Thanks NewVisitor.

You do not worry about complexity of the nodes. You can save your preferred node groups in a .blend file, and then append your node group to your scene.

Edit:
Be careful because it can use a lot of RAM. This is an issue that remains to be resolved by devs.

1 Like

Yeah, but I try to avoid that, because then the list of things you have to append from external Blender files each time will grow. I like to keep it simple. You’d expect a Denoise node and some passes to suffice.

Here a short animation to compare Cycles with Intel denoise and EEVEE in Blender 2.81. Amount of samples are set so that we can compare quality of render. Lighting in done with the EV-Express addon which has recommended render- and shadow settings.

(Apology for the little ad on the end. BTW, hows the music?)

Did you use Lord Odin’s supercalifragilisticexpialidocious node setup for the test?

No de super simplistic one that was already in compositor but muted. (Or did I do that myself?)
DenoiseNodeCompositor

1 Like

OK, so I’ve collected three simple OIDN Denoiser Compositor node setups so far. Which one is the best you think?

DenoiseNodeCompositor

1 Like

I will render the animation again but then with your setups and come back to it once finished. Rendering right now.

1 Like

Cool, thanks! :+1: