big models

This is a big question and is probably something that most people don’t want to answer but I’ll ask it anyway. I am pretty new to blender so I don’t think I would be able to do this but I just wanted to know how exactly you would go about modeling someithing big like a house or castle with an inside as well as outside. I realize that the main thing is that it takes a long time. One thing I want to know is when you place objects such as a table in the building to you just make the table and the grab it and move it to the place where you want it in the house. I guess that sounds like a pretty stupid question but I don’t know. Does anyone know of a tutorial on makeing a building that I could look at. I have looked at all the tutorials on wikibooks but there arn’t any there. I’m really sorry about how stupid this question is. Thanks for whatever help you can give me. :expressionless:

Hmm…something like an entire building probably isn’t what you should be working on if you’re new to blender, as the size of the project is going to bite you. I know that advice doesn’t always work, though…my first 3d scene ever was a gargoyle made in lightwave 5 a looong time ago. :wink: But anyway, you’ll probably need to make good use of the layers system in blender, and most likely you’ll want to build your objects in separate scenes, then use a single master scene in which you “append” your objects. That’ll allow you to avoid the clutter and overhead of everything being in a single blend.

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Building_a_Castle.256.0.html

That was the very first tutorial I ever completed (back at 2.23). It doesn’t deal much with objects inside though. Layers are the answer to this; you have all your floors on (lets say) layers 1 thru 5, the walls on 11 thru 15, the roofs on 6 thru 10 and the furnishings and contents on 16 thru 20. That way you can select combinations of layers to scale and position/allign the different elements.

%<

Thanks for the help. I never could understand what people ment by layers. What do you mean by append? Would that mean move the objects from one scene to another? If so how can you move someithing from one file to another, sort of like copying and pasting I guess? Well thanks again.

http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/ch03s02.html#interface_3d_layers

http://download.blender.org/documentation/oldsite/oldsite.blender3d.org/142_Blender%20tutorial%20Append.html

%<

Ok, thanks, the link for the appending was great and I learned how to do it. However I can not get layering to work for me. I have read both the links on layers(the castle and the other one). This is what I then did. So I have a cube in layer 1. I go to layer 2 and it disapears(that makes sence to me). If i try to create another cube while in layer 2 it does not appear but when i switch back to layer 1 it is there. I would have thought it would appear in layer2. What am I doing wrong? I can also not move the cube to layer 2. This is what I did. I created one cube. In object mode I pressed m and then pressed the button for layer 2. It automaticly brought me to layer 2 where nothing appeared. When I returned to layer 1 the cube was where it was originaly. Again, do you know what I may have done wrong? Thanks

Everything concerning layers has to be done in ObjectMode. Mesh data from the same object cannot be spanned across layers - the entire object must be in one layer only. In case you don’t know, adding a cube in EditMode would only add a cube to the object’s mesh data instead of a separate cube object.

So if you go back to ObjectMode and add a cube in Layer 2, it should appear there. At least, that’s what it’s like in Blender 2.37a… To move objects between layers, select the object(s), press M and select the layer you want to move the object to. You can view the layers by pressing the number keys at the top of your keyboard.

Yes, yu_wang only mentions 2 but there are actually 4 Layer-Control options that can confuse you. First is in the Header bar of the 3D window (a block of 20 buttons), 1 thru 10 on top qnd 11 thru 20 below that can be selected with LMB (LeftMouseButton). All layers can be selected simultaneously with ~ or you can select any combination of them with Shft-LMB.

Second, the numbers 1 thru 0 on the Keypad select layers 1 thru 10 and Alt-1 thru Alt-0 layers 11 thru 20.

Third is the Layer Tab popup when you hit M in Object mode, which is only for moving objects between layers. First you select which layer you want the 3D view to show (in the block in the 3D header as explained in the top paragraph), select the object(s) you want to move, then hit M for the popup and choose the layer you want them moved to. The selected objects will disappear and you will still be on the layer you selected to be on in the 3D header.

Fourth is in F7 in the Draw tab. It shows you the layer on which the Active Object (one selected last and drawn in light pink) is. If you click on a layer in that (F7) block it will move the Active object to the selected layer, but only the active object, not all selected objects.

%<

About the size question, blender’s cameras have a limited distance. Anything ouside the clipping plane won’t be rendered. It may be a good idea to scale your objects accordingly, whether or not you’re actually an advanced student or not, as down the road you may want to integrate various scenes together. 1 unit = 1 meter seems to be a useable scale. hih.

I finally got it! I think the problem was that I had the first cube selected while I created the second cube. I may have also bean useing the layers box in the draw tab. Well thanks alot.

Actually, a small worry.
With the default layout and the cube deselected (KEYA)
I found that clicking on a layer button in the “Draw” panel still moves it (the deselected cube ) to that layer.

muttering…

I’ve just conducted a test. The default condition seem to be to move the last (or only) object created if no selection is made.

Yes, since it was the last selected (or created) it is still the Active object, (and remains active in the unselected state until the file is closed [end memory] and opened again).

%<

A way to see the Active Object is to select all with the A key and either in the outliner or in the 3D window the object will be highlighted. :slight_smile:

Here’s what I would do:

Either mentally or on paper, plan out the entire house just like you would make a blueprint. Room for room. Next, decide what objects go inside each room. Model each object seperately. Save them in .blend files individually and group them in folders according to the rooms they are in.

Next model the house from the inside out, room for room. Plan where the walls and major structural & architectural elements of each room will go. Keep in mind that the back side of one wall MAY end up being the front of another wall for the adjacent room. Once you have rooms made up, save them the same way you did the objects. If your building has two or more floors, either link or append rooms together in one .blend file. Save these files seperately as well.

Once you have the rooms and floors down pat, build the shell of the house around the outside.

Now, once you are satisfied with the gross structure and layout of the entire building, go back in and fill in the details. Place the objects within the room. Fine tune the lighting and texturing.

I would also place at least one camera inside each room so that you can select them as you need to work on one smaller area. Name them in some logical way. “C:1F/R1/A” might mean “Camera: First Floor / First Room / Camera A”

If I was going to make a whole house as one great, big, monolithic model that’s how I would attack iit. However, I don’t think the monolithic approach would be the best one.

I would be more inclined to build each room as a seperate scene. Then switching between rooms would be as easy as switching between scenes. Furthermore, a mistake in one room like a misplaced wall or an object that accidentally penetrates the floor wouldn’t affect the adjacent rooms. There’s nothing like having a phantom foot dangling through the ceiling of one room because the person in the room upstairs accedentally penetrated the floor! It may be funny at first but it can get awfully frustrating in no time!

Modeling in seperate chunks and in seperate scenes tries to alleviate those problems. It also helps you break the problem down into bite-sized morsels that are easier to handle instead of trying to attack the problem all at once.

Then, once you have all the rooms and scenes the way you want, use the sequence editor to link them all together in one big movie. And, by that I assume that you want to make a Walk-Through (Fly-Through) of the entire building when you’re done.