Big Sticks

Kibble is soo excited it found this big stick! Life is looking good :laughing:

detail:

instagram: www.instagram.com/sonjachristophart

20 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you Bart :hugs:

1 Like

Haha! Love it! Such a natural thing a dog would do! :joy:

woah how did you get the cartoon effect on the materials ?

right?? The bigger the better :rofl:

1 Like

This is a bit of a 2 & 3D hybrid - I used procedural textures (mostly musgrave and noise) as my base and then layered a basic toon shader on top of that for the shadows. I did this for the entire scene.

Then I painted over some of the foreground leaves and added some light line art to the wooden planks. The rocks, mid/background and the giant stick (minus the outline) are full 3D renders.

The outline I first did using freestyle but then I wanted to use a hair system on Kibble and there’s a known issue right now with freestyle not working with hair so…I ended up doing the outline in Photoshop. :yum:

1 Like

Cool, I’ll try that triple-rendering mode you mentioned, seems creative… about the rocks, they really look anime-style, is there a way to achieve that without cycles (in blender render) ? Are they just meshes with toon material ? Sorry but I don’t understand cycles still…

oh its all Eevee - I didn’t use Cycles at all so no worries there :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:and yes, the rocks are a mesh with a toon material.

I just used multiple noise textures that I connected to color ramps and then layered them on top of each other for the base color of the rocks. Then I added a toon shader and mixed that in to darken the shadows.

You can do a lot with noise textures and color ramps :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah, I meant “nodes” for “cycles”… I mean… all that weird stuff with links and connection. Can’t find a decent text tutorial for nodes beginners, they all change everytime as soon as there’s a new version (can’t stand youtube videos neither, I just can’t learn with them), even the default documentation takes too many things for granted, looks like genius stuff, not for me… Eevee… too eevil for my outdated pc.
thanks anyway and keep it up, amazing work!

Love this work!
Dogs are just the best :dog:

oh I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know if you’d be interested in this but I’m putting together an Introduction to Blender class for schoolism. It will be pre-recorded lessons but you can sign up for the individual critiqued sessions where I will work with you directly and do my best to answer any questions you may have. :slight_smile:

I’m also doing a talk at lightbox expo on creating stylized environments in blender where I talk a little bit about materials. Maybe there is some helpful information there for you? That talk is tomorrow Saturday sept 11th at 10am PST at lightboxexpo.com. I think you can still get tickets - they are 2 USD.

aren’t they??? We are dying to get one but we want a yard first…hopefully next year :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I have to learn how to do this kinda thing, for my own - kinda thing.