Big Sticks

Kibble is soo excited it found this big stick! Life is looking good :laughing:

detail:

instagram: www.instagram.com/sonjachristophart

21 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you Bart :hugs:

1 Like

Haha! Love it! Such a natural thing a dog would do! :joy:

woah how did you get the cartoon effect on the materials ?

right?? The bigger the better :rofl:

1 Like

This is a bit of a 2 & 3D hybrid - I used procedural textures (mostly musgrave and noise) as my base and then layered a basic toon shader on top of that for the shadows. I did this for the entire scene.

Then I painted over some of the foreground leaves and added some light line art to the wooden planks. The rocks, mid/background and the giant stick (minus the outline) are full 3D renders.

The outline I first did using freestyle but then I wanted to use a hair system on Kibble and thereā€™s a known issue right now with freestyle not working with hair soā€¦I ended up doing the outline in Photoshop. :yum:

1 Like

Cool, Iā€™ll try that triple-rendering mode you mentioned, seems creativeā€¦ about the rocks, they really look anime-style, is there a way to achieve that without cycles (in blender render) ? Are they just meshes with toon material ? Sorry but I donā€™t understand cycles stillā€¦

oh its all Eevee - I didnā€™t use Cycles at all so no worries there :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:and yes, the rocks are a mesh with a toon material.

I just used multiple noise textures that I connected to color ramps and then layered them on top of each other for the base color of the rocks. Then I added a toon shader and mixed that in to darken the shadows.

You can do a lot with noise textures and color ramps :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah, I meant ā€œnodesā€ for ā€œcyclesā€ā€¦ I meanā€¦ all that weird stuff with links and connection. Canā€™t find a decent text tutorial for nodes beginners, they all change everytime as soon as thereā€™s a new version (canā€™t stand youtube videos neither, I just canā€™t learn with them), even the default documentation takes too many things for granted, looks like genius stuff, not for meā€¦ Eeveeā€¦ too eevil for my outdated pc.
thanks anyway and keep it up, amazing work!

Love this work!
Dogs are just the best :dog:

oh Iā€™m sorry to hear that. I donā€™t know if youā€™d be interested in this but Iā€™m putting together an Introduction to Blender class for schoolism. It will be pre-recorded lessons but you can sign up for the individual critiqued sessions where I will work with you directly and do my best to answer any questions you may have. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also doing a talk at lightbox expo on creating stylized environments in blender where I talk a little bit about materials. Maybe there is some helpful information there for you? That talk is tomorrow Saturday sept 11th at 10am PST at lightboxexpo.com. I think you can still get tickets - they are 2 USD.

arenā€™t they??? We are dying to get one but we want a yard firstā€¦hopefully next year :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I have to learn how to do this kinda thing, for my own - kinda thing.