Bignosed Guy

Well, I think this is my second actual post of a model here, and the last one was quite some time ago when I first got into Blender. Hopefully I’ve improved some since then.

Anyways, after watching The Incredibles, my girlfriend challenged me to modeling a face which would later be animated. I had a week to get a basic model done. Given its my first head, I’m not too terribly displeased.

http://users.mcleodusa.net/w/wtriska/incoming/bignoserender.jpg

So I worked on this for about a week, but before I can animate it, I need to fix a lot of topology issues. The biggest problem I’m having is the eyelids. Right now they intersect with the eyeballs in a rather hacked fashion that sometimes causes Blender to crash when rendering.

http://users.mcleodusa.net/w/wtriska/incoming/bignosewire.jpg

I guess I’m looking for some advice on topology, and specifically any thoughts on modelling eyelids. I think part of my problem is that I waited until the mesh was too complex to manage modelling the eyelids.

Any thoughts or critiques would be very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

I really like the character. I wish I could give some advice on the eyelids but I have yet to even try to create a character. Ive done most of the tuts but never my own. I do see the problem with the eyelids. It looks like they are not part of the head. Great job though…cant wait to see animation.

The head mesh is way too dense.
The mesh flow is not the best one - there are some loops there, many aren’t the correct ones.

See this tutorial for better head modelling:
http://www.elYsiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066&highlight=tutorial

looks like the mesh is intersecting in the left eyelid

ooks like the mesh is intersecting in the left eyelid

Undoubtedly it is. I’m having the absolute hardest time with forming eyelids that dont interesect with the eyeballs.

The head mesh is way too dense.
The mesh flow is not the best one - there are some loops there, many aren’t the correct ones.

See this tutorial for better head modelling:
http://www.elYsiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066&highlight=tutorial

Yeah, I suppose it is too dense. I tried to reduce a bunch of edge loops last night, however I lost detail in places I didn’t want too. I think thats mostly a result of bad edge loop design.

As for that tutorial, I can’t say I’ve gotten much help from it. Vertex-to-vertex modelling is akin to drawing a head from the eye outwards… it violates everything I’ve been taught in art. The loops are much better than mine of course, and for that it has merit to me. However I find it almost too simplified. I’ll study it more though.

Thank you for the advice cipix.

I really like the character. I wish I could give some advice on the eyelids but I have yet to even try to create a character. Ive done most of the tuts but never my own. I do see the problem with the eyelids. It looks like they are not part of the head. Great job though…cant wait to see animation.

Thank you very much for the encouraging post, Muckiem14!

Yes, that’s a simplified mesh, of course. The ideea is to start from a good topology, low poly mesh and to introduce (cut) new loops only where you need more details.
It’s much easier to work with few vertices at first till you have the basic form figured and only then work on the details.

It’s like in drawing - figure the basic shape first and only then start to introduce details, shadows and light.

Hope that helps

it’s a bit complex, but not ruined yet… :slight_smile: very nice work anyways.

for the eyelids, select all the vertices on the head, and then deselect the ones around the eye. and press “h” to hide the head… now you have more room to work with the eyes.
looks like your eye bulges out quite a bit, so you only need to make the lid follow that … there is no special trick in it.
maybe use the PET-tool, (“o”-key), with different falloffs when pulling and pushing the verts…

problems with the topology… it is quite nice looking mesh… but what caught my eye was the lining right next to the eye, that goes up on side of the head. I understand why it’s there, but maybe you could avoid that long “cut” in mesh… it ruins the flow.

.b