Billions of poly's? In the viewport?

Pretty impressive scene size handling in new 3D app ‘Clarisse IFX’ (which I personally never heard of before today, hehe)

But that kind of viewport performance is imo VERY cool.

we need better viewport performance
blender is unusable without it :frowning:

But is it a feature? I thought we needed more feature first. ;D

I don’t believe they can handle billions of real polygons. Looks more like they have some nice displacement/tesselation along with flexible instancing. Cycles can already do that kind of instancing, and it’s more flexible that people may think. But with that program you can probably do many levels of nested instances and have more options to bring in variation.

The max limit of poly’s is as usual in the hardware, right? But I guess they mean ‘scene poly’s’ rather than view poly’s - and reading about how they texture a.s.o, I guess they count micropolygon displacement to the poly count - so in the end I guess it’s a combo of filtering out poly’s out of view and merging poly’s in the far back a.s.o…

But it seems they solved viewport handling of it all pretty nicely. How the app is outside that? Who knows - and I can’t say I’m very interested of learning yet another 3D app… ;D

…but the demo looked cool which is why I posted the link, hehe… :smiley:

There’s little point in simplifying meshes or culling elements out-of-view in a raytracer, it’s just not worth it computationally. It would be interesting to see how they handle the microdisplacement/tesselation, that may be reduced according to view distance. (or for indirect light)
But yes, it looks like a cool program.

that’s pretty awesome. just too bad it’s not available yet!

and i’m kind of confused about what exactly Clarisse is:
“Clarisse doesn’t provide any modeling, rigging and character animation related tools. You will need to import your geometries or scenes from other packages. For more information, please see the import file format section of technical specifications.”

but they’re also expecting integration with third-party renderers. so if it does material editing and rendering, but not modeling, rigging, or animation, then it’s… just a renderer?..that allows you to render with third-party renderers??..

Well, I just saw this…

…and suddenly it doesn’t look very impressive in comparison to Blender or Lightwave, apps where you have a good pathtracer (?) as part of the viewport rendering options…

But what I love, and something absolutely ‘missing’ in Blender (or rather Cycles) is the option to display wireframe, bounding boxes a.s.o. on top of a Cycles viewport render - though I bet that’s something that will be added eventually…

@Ohsnapitsjoel

Yes, I don’t really get it either. Seems they have some stuff, like sculpting in the app, but it’s gonna be interesting to watch a tutorial, see what this is supposed to be all about - but doesn’t seem to be a full 3D package anyway, so half way in between a 3D app and a compositing package perhaps? But Nuke already is that, does that. Kinda…

Well, we just have to wait & see… I want from being impressed to being confused - though that is quite normal for me. ;D

Edit: What it is, compared to Nuke though, is fast. The Nuke scanline renderer becomes slow very fast when building complex comps… And about it being “just a renderer?..that allows you to render with third-party renderers??..” - in a way you’re describing a compositing app, hehe… ;D

Reminds me a bit of The Foundry’s Katana application, essentially it’s an application that forms the core of the pipeline, so all elements (Models, textures, animations, simulations etcetera) come together in this one application where it can be shaded, lit, and in Katana’s case rendered out to whatever engine you’re using.

I think Katana works with proxies a lot, but it’s not a bad method really as you can get more out of the hardware.

This is blender with better viewport :smiley: but on what PC that was?

@Daniel8488

yeah, you might be right. But it seems to be more for normal scene setup than the extreme setups they usually use Katana for.

…and even for me, that know Nuke well (and also know a fair bit of 3D), Katana is still a pretty crazy piece of software. I think you probably need to have worked on a feature film VFX to really understand what ‘complex’ means in regard to what Katana does, to really understand it, I mean… ;D

Yes, that’s always a valid point. If the presenter is on a dual Xeon 8 core with 64Gb’s or RAM and a Quadro/Tesla setup, then it’s not very surprising it’s fast. :stuck_out_tongue:

First, I’d love to know what kind of hardware they’re using to run the app.
Second, the software is probably worth more than my '99 Miata. :o

It seems it all CPU anyway… (a very efficient pathtracer?)

Hehe, my Maya license is actually way more than my car is worth - which is a '91 Toyota Corolla… ;D

(…though it’s basically free, I had repairs for $220 in 3 years… :D)

i hope GSOC viewport fx FROM JASON can make blender handle multi millions polygons

@kakachiex2

Well, in this we have a conundrum I think. The never cards, like Nvidia 4-5-6xx-series are still pretty crappy at OGL… :stuck_out_tongue:

(and yes, AMD cards are better at OGL but on the other hand they don’t work with Cycles:()

That is due to their insanely complex instancing system, when it comes to pure polygon handling I still think that Softimage’s gigapolygon engine is better.

@Endi, no Blender’s viewport should only be able to handle 100 polygons at most so that only true masters can use it. We should also throw out the extrude tool since it makes it too easy for newbies to create models, everyone knows that the correct way is to duplicate geometry and connect the vertices by hand and the undo function is for amateurs!

Yeah, instancing based system.
What about zbrush that can handle 40 millions of true faces, without even using GPU?
It’s the power of zbrush, running on weak pc setups as hell. ~8-10-20 millions on a single mesh… great real time performance, …well, thing about it.
Funny that you didn’t mention this. Real, excellent sculpting performance on 10-20M faces. An achievement!
Instancing is not an achievement. Not really.
In blender, however, using object/bounds, you can multiply as much as you wish (cycles)

I should have researched this more thoroughly before putting it up - I thought it was a traditional 3D app, and it seems to be more of a scene-setup app from what I know now. I was so very impressed but as we say in Sweden, it kinda became a ‘magplask’… ;D

@michalis

If you with ‘you’ mean me, I don’t know Zbrush at all. Organic modelling is what I’ve done absolutely the least. ;D

yes softimage gigapolygon core is really impressive you can handle up to 40 billions polygon in viewport…

Off topic, but Softimage, there’s where I started out in 3D. Pre-XSI though, v3.4 up to the release of v4 I think it was. And when XSI came, I was already working with video rather than 3D… When I got back into 3D, like 2008, it was with Maya… But XSI seems like a really cool piece of software. :slight_smile: