Bioluminescent Macaw

That is looking epic man!
Enjoying all the updates, looking forward to the final!
Keep on rocking

thanks guys! :smiley:

thorst - thanks for the suggestion! That was something that caught my eye as well. I made an effort to soften up the red feathers in the last render, but I suppose I should try to push that further

But for now, here’s one last update for the weekend. I finished up the diffuse/alpha textures for the tail feathers:

2 Likes

It’s looking beautiful!

Wow… amazing! Can’t wait to see the end result. :eek:

Very nice :slight_smile:

Nice work and usefull tutorial!

Why do you use both bump node and displacement output on the material?
Both can’t work together.

Wehnever you use the displacement output of a material normals and bump node won’t affect any of the used input.

You solved the displacement mystery for me. Thanks!

This is a great project, fun to follow along.

Really! I had no idea
I was using the bump node just because I assumed it was the correct thing to do. Thanks for the heads up about this :slight_smile:

Can confirm, bump is better: http://blender.stackexchange.com/a/15478/9 :slight_smile:

Great looking bird. Now make it fly :wink:

ooh, that’s really good to know! thanks for posting that :smiley:

And as long as i’m posting, here’s a small update for tonight. I remade the eye so now it’s not just a sphere with a low res texture:

Attachments

1 Like

I love ara macao and Blender. Good feathers.

stunning work! :yes:

putting the “bioluminescent” in bioluminescent macaw :slight_smile:
critiques welcome

Full res image here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17578055/Bird/Bird_057.jpg

Attachments

1 Like

Beautiful work.
I cannot come up with a real critique. I see some a aliasing due to the feather’s alpha but I think that can be solved with by throwing more samples at them.

Hi, I think the work is really amazing. I am following it since you started posting.
For the final lighting, I think it could look interesting if like the bird is sitting in a tree, sun shining on top. I attached a proposal

Cheers!

Attachments

Thanks guys :slight_smile:
ToshiCG - yea, I’ve definitely got some moire patterns going on, but I think those will go away when I render at a higher resolution…then it’s just a matter of picking the right down scaling algorithm

Centauri - thanks for the paintover! I always appreciate those. The original plan was to have a kind of dark and stormy overcast to help make the glow pop out more, but after seeing what it’d look like with broken up light patterns, I might try that instead! Direct sunlight will definitely help make it look more vibrant :slight_smile:

here are a couple test renders I thought I’d post

I redid the fiber optic shader to be roughly based on blenderguru’s tutorial:

Fiber optic lamps are pretty cheap, so I bought one and put a strand under my usb microscope for fun/reference :slight_smile:

I also started experimenting with The Grove tree generator plugin and a few HDRIs from hdrihaven

Attachments

1 Like

wowwww, very good work, your work is a real source of inspiration. Congratulations Could you consider doing a tutorial on how you made such realistic feathers? it will help many of us, especially me.

1 Like