Bird beak modelling

Hi all, apologies for asking a question with a probably simple answer, I’m pretty new to blender.

I’m attempting to model a cartoon bird (an arctic tern) for a challenge and to teach myself more about blender. I figured the bird from big buck bunny was a as good a reference as any to get an idea of how the modelling is done. I cannot, however, which ever way I look at it, figure out how to produce a beak similar to said bird.

I figure from the topology that it starts off with an extrude to create the mouth edge loops, similar to how you’d create a mouth on a human model, so I started off that way.

http://1m95.nl/greme/mouthloops.jpg

Being a newbie however, I can’t quite work out where to go from here. If I drag the bottom of the top beak out, I don’t get the edge loops going around the beak as they do in the BBB bird, they go all around the head lengthways along the beak.

http://1m95.nl/greme/wrongloop.jpg

I could extrude the top beak and bottom beak separately from inside the “mouth loops”, thus enabling the vertical loops around the beak, but this seems to also come out wrong topologically. Is this the right way and I’m just doing it wrong somehow? Or is it just not possible with box-modelling? (I haven’t tried learning polygon modelling yet!)

Any information on how to form a basic bird beak, would be greatly appreciated! I tried looking around the internet for some bird head tutorials, but couldn’t find any…

I realise the BBB bird is way beyond my scope at the moment as a final product, the beak issue has just intrigued and frustrated me!

Thanks for this brilliant site, it’s been a great help trawling the tutorials on it!

get some good references pic to follow

might be easier to get more realist may be!

salutations

There is a good tutorial unfortunately only in German on how to model a bird. But even without understanding these tuts might help:
Bird tutorial Part 1
Bird tutorial Part 2
Bird tutorial Part 3
Bird tutorial Part 4

Wow, thanks very much! I do have a (limited) understanding of german, so that coupled with the, methodical way he approaches the tutorials means I can follow them very well.

He seems to keep the beak separate from the main model until at least the end of tutorial 4, which does seem very sensible, as when the hair/feathers are eventually rendered on the model, I assume they’ll do very well at hiding the join.

Once again, many thanks :slight_smile: You’ve made my day!

Glad to be of help.
I think it is a good way to keep parts of your model that have different materials as different objects.