Bizzare 'whitefaces' bug (Windows)

Starting a new .blend … switch to potato mode, press ‘p’ … and all I can see is a white-filled outline with no shading whatsoever. What’s going on? I’m a noob at this, so please tell me what I’m missing…

Too see your objects properly you must either Vertex Paint them or UV texture them. Applying Lighting also works.

To vertex paint go into vertex face mode of the object (v key) and using the paint buttons (edit buttons in 2.34) paint them whatever colour you desire. To apply a UV texture select the object and go into face mode (f key). Then load your texture in (using the texture browser window). To put lighting on your object select the object, go into face mode then hit ‘w’ and choose set-light. Then you add a lamp. Hope this fixed your problem.

You mean to say I can’t just apply a material like any other bit of blender? And I ALWAYS have to use VColPaint? This sucks major dingo ****.

I DO have a light in my scene, so why isn’t this thing shading?

press F with the object selected, and in the editing window (f9) on the right there is a Texture face panel. select all you faces and click the light button. Press Copy DrawMode.

This is a common mistake the new blender users make when using the game engine. I still have not fully learn the use of colors, materials,lights and textures in blender in general and the game engine especially after 4 years. In my opiniion a way to use just regular materials that you use in the other parts of blender in the game engine should ba a MAJOR objective of the blender coders.

You can also use UV textures, look around for tutorials, there’s a lot of them out there since this is a FAQ.

There is, Blender 2.34 comes with a script for baking procedural textures to UV textures taht work in the game engine. It’s in the UV menu of the image window. Alternatively you can use z3r0 d’s texture baking script, which hides the seams better.

plug:

I mention it in jms’s thread:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=267480#267480
and in a thread on a seamless blender-generated skybox:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28678

I really ought to get someone to commit it to blender’s source [in place of jms’s]

What I was thinking of was a way to have regular blender materials, especially mult-materials in the game engine.

it sorta is possible [except more so] if you have the graphics hardware and are willing to write shaders, and use tuhopuu2

[look for info on glsl shaders in tuhopuu2, probably in the game engine forum on blender.org]

it sorta is possible [except more so] if you have the graphics hardware and are willing to write shaders, and use tuhopuu2

[look for info on glsl shaders in tuhopuu2, probably in the game engine forum on blender.org][/quote]

Thanks I will give it at look. As and aside what exactly is a “shader”? I think I know but I would like a more definate explanation.