Black Mesh - Procedural Modeling Tool

I think you’re missing what he’s saying. From blender.org:

Since Blender 2.93 Windows 7 is no longer supported.

mifth can answer that definitively, but I suspect not. There have been API improvements and other features in 2.93 that may be required. It also may not be a simple thing to backport to an earlier version of Python depending on what the code is depending on - that can be way more work than it’s worth, especially just to support a very out-of-date OS.

1 Like

seanr1978 i will upgrade my operating system in a month or 2. Thanks for your replies.

Hi Mifth,
I was playing with addon a bit more and like this new approach and non destructive behavior and especially filters! I have some feedback from the usability perspective, to speedup the workflow and working on more complex scenes with a lot of “voxel” objects:

• The use of collections is very good and i use them now. I use mostly two per mesh. One for subtract, one for add. Would be nice if creating collections would be done automatically at some point.
  • Using only one collection for all “voxel” objects turned out as bad idea, this way cutters affect all voxel objects, so probably create them automatically per object?
  • During the work process i often wish to see the original mesh to make changes on it. Would be nice to have the ability to hide the voxel result and unhide the original mesh faster, without searching in outliner, something like select the voxel mesh+hotkey will hide the voxel mesh and unhide the original.
  • Also, would be nice to be able hide/unhide all the cutters which are corresponding to the voxel mesh, for faster making changes. Like, select the voxel mesh and unhide per hotkey only the collection of cutters which are affecting this particular voxel mesh.
    Thanks!

Thank you. I’ll note it.

@Piotr_Adamowicz @Woolfy13 and all. Don’t hesitate to repeat your requests from time to time. My mind is in mess at the moment according to my life things.

3 Likes

Here is what should be explained and shown in the video before I will decide to buy:

• show how does it work on more complex shapes (most important, cylinders)
  • show how much complex does the base mesh need to be to achieve good results on bended/curved surfaces
  • i’ve noticed that voxel remesher is densed only on edges, how does it achieve? base on the angle or sharp edges? can you control them somehow?
  • each example should show wireframe mode too!

Presenting anything on cube is too easy at this point.

5 Likes

I’m in moving to new home now. Cannot show you something. But you can check examples if you want.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TKJOt0UTlvenxZUHtXGfOBahMIx7dHOm/view?usp=drivesdk

The first screenshot is very easy to achieve as 123.
All you need is subdivide meshes. Booleans can be on the voxel side.

3 Likes

Hey all! I did not forget you. I need to ask the openvdb team about some issues then I’ll create the documentation. Apologies for a delay.

11 Likes

Any news? Some good tutorial-demonstration video? Something?

Yes, I found fixes to some issues. I’ll add them to a new version. Docs and video will be soon. I hope this weekend.

3 Likes

Render by Alexander Reshetnyak.

3 Likes

As it seems the results are very good. No artifacts all over the mesh.

The most needed thing in such meshes, however, is having a way of decreasing to the minimum the polygon count of the flat areas (for keeping the whole scene menagable as to its polygon weight).Finding such a method could constitute a whole new approach to hardsurface modelling.

How soon can we expect the Linux version?

@Fatesailor Thanks. It’s possible to use Decimate modifier either.

@dez1gner I think next week. This wekend I’m working on a new release and docs.

2 Likes

New release will be soon. Docs too. Prepare your sci-fi.

6 Likes

This is awesome. Would give this a spin when I have time. Splendid work, mate.

1 Like

8 Likes

As it seems from the last mesh screenshot the mesh density too is distributed in a very balanced way all over the object’s surface. It is sparce on the flat surfaces and dense on the bevelled corners. This, exactly, is the needed thing!

Waiting for the documentation, for some good tutorial video…

2 Likes

I’ll be honest that all I want right now is a detailed video showing the features and how it creates a new workflow. Documentation is great after I’ve purchased it but I’m holding off on purchasing it until I can have a good understanding on how it would improve my modeling workflow. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok I bought it because I think its pretty cool, I understand the workflow already. I do wonder if this is currently possible. I want to apply a different smooth amount to different mesh, in this case i added a top mesh and would like to use a wiidth of 3 affecting on that mesh and the contact area. See attach pic. Maybe porting it to geometry node would make it possible?

I am running this on Blender 3.0 alpha no issue. Also updating the the voxel always unsmooth the shading, can this be fixed? I’d like to stay in smooth shading.

In its current state it’s still extremely powerful tool, complimenting Subdivision surface workflow and works with modifiers. As for my request, I know I can use a workaround for it - so its not a must have feature.