Black objects...hard to edit! Way to dissable colour preview in "Solid" display mode?

Hey folks. This is my first post. I love Blender. I love how it even runs perfectly on my underpowered, crappy little netbook. :slight_smile:

I have a collection of black objects. They are very complex, and I find that I can’t see them at all with out that nice mid-tone grey they used to be. Is there a way to dissable the colour preview for edit mode and object mode? That is, can I turn them back to grey temporarily for shape editng purposes, without having to go back and manually make them grey?

Thanks!

I was able to semi-solve my issue by trying different combinations of keys I thought might have an intuitive impact on the object display. Turns out that alt+z in object mode will apply better lighting and shadows to black objects (possibly using the actual light sources in my scene). This is okay, but I’d still like to be able to make the objects show as grey, as it’s still easier on my eyes, and requires less rotating to see the actual shape. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Woah. alt-z does some funky stuff actually. It makes the walls of things see-through. I don’t consider this a viable solution. Back to key-pounding. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

HI,

It’s possible to tell each object to also overlay its wire frame geometry. So your black objects would have a wire overlay. The wire color can be changed in you user preferences to say white for selected and unselected object. Allowing the wire outline to be seen even if the object is black.

Attached is a blend file showing he effect. You will probably need to alter your theme color user preferences, changing the color of the wire, face and theme setting to make them say white so they show up on your black objects.

Attachments

Blender 2.52 - Wire Color.blend (83.3 KB)