Black Rook by a new artist

2 Likes

I am trying to make a beautiful chess set. I like rooks because they strong in the end and work best with a lot of freedom.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Really like the geometry here. The only thing I’d suggest is to add a fill-light on the right hand side – maybe a slightly bluish one – to soften up that shadow. This might also bring out a little more detail on the surface of the piece, and make the decal that you’ve put on the surface a little more evident.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your time and your comment. I will try to add another light. I am still very new to blender. Again, I am very grateful.

1 Like

I took your suggestion and made it worse. I will keep working on lights. Thanks

The best way to easily achieve good lighting, imo, is to use an area lamp, but they must be set up well to look good, so you go into rendered view, ( z key for the menu ) position the area lamp above your monkey and plane ( test setup ) then scale the area lamp, ( s ), adjust it’s position, and adjust it’s strength in the lamp buttons until it looks right, then render.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that next time. I keep making it too bright. I just need to experiment more.

1 Like