blacklist users from posting

Is it possible to block certain users from posting in my threads?

I am getting some abusive people, posting misinformation and general flaming.
It would sure be nice to just block them from posting in my threads.

I see we have a way to ignore them, can we lock them from posting harassing messages in our personal threads?

TIA for any help

Interesting… on two counts. One, we have a Report button specifically for this purpose and two, your own posting habits have been discussed in the Mods forum. I guess what goes around comes around?

%<

Interesting… on two counts. One, we have a Report button specifically for this purpose and two, your own posting habits have been discussed in the Mods forum. I guess what goes around comes around?
Indeed interesting, implicitly threatening a user because he has a legit question and refuses to use the “denounce” button. Thats what i call a “retro-style behaviour”. Why are you doing that, Fligh?

I don’t see any implied threat, maybe because I didn’t intend one. Each moderator has their own, personal way of approaching both the problem and the poster and I tend to allow people to live with their mistakes and hopefully learn from them, without holding anything against them. In this case I thought it more constructive to give the information pertinent to his case, and an observation about why it may be happening, rather than simply say “No”. I don’t know how else I could have handled it? I’m just as willing to hear your suggestion(s) as I am willing to live with my own mistakes.

%<

It’s entirely possible Mmph! didn’t know about the “denounce” button. I’ve pm’d several other members about using that button to report spam postings, and it came as a surprise to some of them that that was the purpose of that little easily overlooked icon.

Is it threatening to find out that the moderators are actually discussing issues amongst themselves instead of practicing drive-by moderation? If so, then we are all threatened.

@Mmph!: you can pm your harassers and request (politely) that they stop posting in your threads. Sometimes they will stop, sometimes they will simply start harassing you via pm (which keeps them out of your public threads – mission accomplished) and sometimes it just makes things worse. You can probably make a fairly good guess as to which people will simply stop, but whether the ones who don’t will fall for the bait and stay away from your public threads is somewhat of a crap shoot. In the long run, ignoring them is probably the best policy.

neeh, it just means we shoul all act as proper and nice as possible! :slight_smile:

I agree :slight_smile:

I actually posted once in a thread started by CD asking the other children to clean up their act and stop harassing him. They did. It was nice. There was a common courtesy thread about 6 months ago discussing that very thing. So, Mmph, maybe someone will come to your rescue.If you’ve been rough with others, well, now I guess you know what it feels like to be on the receiving end. If not, I guess they need a Momma telling them “If you don’t have anything nice to say, keep y’all’s trap shut.”

3D Penguin: Fligh can be very intimidating, can’t he? I hear he can split wood with one chop. But don’t let his threats get under your skin - just keep taking your paranoia pills, buddy.

Fligh, I am glad you mods actually discuss us behind closed doors. thx for taking the time and effort to keep this place cleaned up.

I can’t say that I read any threads where you, Mmph! were mistreated but there are many threads that I just skip. When it happens it certainly is unpleasant and everyone should see to keeping the discussions civil. BTw I think that I’ve observed a roughening in the general tone used in BA for the last year.
This being said this is a public forum and the moderation of is can’t be made a private affair IMHO . It should be left to the designated moderators.

Jean

@Papasmurf

3D Penguin: Fligh can be very intimidating, can’t he? I hear he can split wood with one chop. But don’t let his threats get under your skin - just keep taking your paranoia pills, buddy
As wholehearted as your answer may sound: Do you get a kick from insulting ppl via the internet?

Well, well, well… what do we have here…

… well, well, well… well…

well…

It’s about time they make me moderator, so I can clean up this place. Ha!

Well, I mean, just like in real life you just need to create a shield against idiots and assholes. (b)locking them is the wussy way out.

Quoted for agreement.

@3D: no. I was just trying to say that I thought you were reading too much into Fligh’s response. I realize that mods have to be heavy handed, and yes, the idea that someone can (arbitrarily it may seem) edit your posts or even block you is intimidating…BUT…the process works doesn’t it? And, we don’t really want anarchy, do we?

Speaking of Moderators. How do you become one? I visit this site daily and could lend a hand :smiley: But I’m guessing you have to know the owner of the website personally?

Simple, follow the rules, make great images, and make sure you have no recent record of even the slightest infraction of the rules.

And according to another forum, don’t ask to become a moderator.

Treat others as you would yourself… unless you like to cut yourself. Then treat others as you would expect them to treat themselves.:spin:

and learn the secret cyber-handshake, or graduate from one of the chosen schools.

True that -so far I’ve never annoyed no one!

well every now and then when we feel like having more mods on the board, we have a little talk about it, who would be good long time name here that has helped out people and overall seems like a good trustworthy pick…

.b

… and wants the job load with its occasional aggravation.
Reminds me of jury duty.

J.