Blend file size?

I am working on a mesh model and I was wondering about the .blend file size. I have not done anything yet to the environment or applied any textures or anything. This is a plain jane model, but the .blend file seems large to me for what it is. The file is now over 1 meg for just one model. I am not too concerned with this as long as my computer can handle the renders, but I was wondering if this was unusually large for modelling a complex mechanical object? Of course complex is relative, but what is the largest file size for a single model you have seen?

As you say, complex is relative. What is it? Can you post a pic or a .blend?

bogbean, a user here, once posted a level 4 Menger’s Sponge ( def: http://world.std.com/~j9/sponge/menger-sponge.html )

Here’s the thread
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1604
He says it takes 14MB of memory.

There could be bigger meshes out there but that’s the biggest one I know of.

I could post the blend file, but who hosts a file and format like that? Can you upload files to elysiun?

I think Mud Puddle, or Six Monkies or whatever will allow .blend files. I think I have seen them there before.

http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/

Check it out. Maybe they say under a terms and conditions or something.

-Laurifer

I still got some files left from the (now dead) Muffin Project. The bigger one takes 35.28 MB in memory while you are in wire-frame view.

The file size is barely 953KB (I have another one that is 2.6 MB), but the textures are not packed. With all the textures packed it could easily go over 10 MB.

Well I looked at that sixmonkies site and it looks to be just a gallery. I didn’t find any blend files, although maybe they are somewhere. The best I can do for now is show you a screenshot of the wireframe:

http://img103.exs.cx/img103/428/screenshot15ej.jpg

This is a WIP. A lot of the lights and junk are just for testing renders at certain locations. The stuff in back is just a part I am working on that will be moved into the model later.

Some could argue that I could have made a low-poly model, but this model is going to be used in various scenes in a movie I am making. The model has to look good close-up as well as afar, thus all the detail.

I’d say you put your 1 meg to good use, and that would be about right for file size.

It seems that it is already too late for that plane, but in the future, you can achieve that much detail (actually a lot more) by using Sub-Surfaced meshes.

That way you can use A LOT LESS vertex and still have near perfect continous surfaces… not to mention that the sub-surf level can be lowered for far camera shots (so they render faster) and increased for close ups.

Since now Blender supports Weigthed creases for sub-surfs, the number of vertex needed is cut even lower.

I will have to look into subsurfaces. Maybe I will do some tests with it and get a feel for how to use it. Thanks for the info.

I have .blend files well over 50Mb

Stefano

Ditto Apollux. With sub. surfaces on, this level of detail could have been had for a much lower vertex count. 1 meg for single, untextured model isn’t too unusual if it has a high level of detail.

Okay, I see how the detail becomes greater with subdividing the surfaces, but I could not approach this model in that manner. According to the tutorial on subsurfs, it is useful for organic modelling, which I agree. Mainly, a mechanical object that requires exact angles, distances, and be to scale would not be a good candidate for using subsurfs. If I started with a cube and subsurfed it down to where I wanted it, then it would be considerably smaller than the original cube. I would then have to scale things back to the size I need, which is redundant. I basically started with some object meshes that were already subdivided, like a UV Sphere, then transformed how I saw fit. Making a human head out of a UV Sphere, however, would be easier done using cubes and subdividing. Since this was my first non-tutorial project, I was curious to get a relative grasp on just how big a file could be and blender or my system not have any problems. I am not only trying to create a useable video for the movie, but at the same time determining the limitations of blender and my system (it is an older system). Hopefully, my system will handle the files and eventually the textured and raytraced renders, but I still have my reservations until I get to that point. I am overjoyed with the performance of blender and what I have seen others create with it, so I have little doubts that it can’t do what I am trying to accomplish.

hey S68 is that the dome with the goddess ontop? becouse that one was a hella lots of verts

Fudge

it is useful for organic modelling, which I agree. Mainly, a mechanical object that requires exact angles, distances, and be to scale would not be a good candidate for using subsurfs

That isn’t true anymore. Since Weigthed Creases where added you can achieve razor-sharp angles on subsurf if you you desire.

About the downsizing… it is quite noticeable for something so symple as a cube, but as the complexity grows, the sub-surf starts machting the original size. It cann’t be explained on simple words, you better do a few projects and you’ll understand. Besides, if you plan to make your mesh subsurfed from the very beginning then you start right away with the right size.

By the way, sub-surface modeling and box modeling should not be confused!

Some pleople would start a human head from a cube and sub-surface it, but those are 2 totally different things. I subsurf every single model I produce, and yet I never ever start from a cube (unless I am making a cube, of course).

Since Weigthed Creases where added you can achieve razor-sharp angles on subsurf if you you desire.

Will have to study this when I get the time to do so. I do love the level of control editing mesh vertices, however slow it may be.