blend2max addon

Hello:) I am working on some kind of extended exporter.
In fact there are rather 2 scripts. One in Blender one in 3ds Max.
The main idea is to export mesh to OBJ file and some extra data to xml file.
In xml is data about objects(meshes,splines and cameras),coordinates and modifier.
All data can be easly imported in 3ds max, you must only select xml file.

https://vimeo.com/56973030

video quality is not good, i will work on it:)
In that moment there are only 4 modifier which is being exporting(subsurf,mirror,solidify,smooth)
Renders are too show that geometry is practically the same in both programs. I am not good at it.

I am not creating my own file format I use OBJ which is standard and I have got textures:)
If I am exporting OBJ in standard way, pivot is in point(0,0,0) when I use that script pivot point of object is always the same as blender pivot point.

Object location,rotation,scale in 3ds Max are the same as in Blender:)

If I am exporting data which for example subsurd it is automaticlly exported whithout mod and in 3ds max is added turbosmooth(for example blender subsurf render level2-> 3ds max turbosmooth render iteration 2).

Curve is also exporting. You can have as many curve in one object as You want. Curve can be also closed.

Cameras lens is also exported so render looks the same. You don’t need to think about fov or camera coordinates:)

How it looks like?

it sounds very interesting.
However, from my point of view it is useless to try to export modifiers. Those parameters are always changing in each version, you’ll have headache to maintain your exporter uptodate. The right way to do it is the alembic way, there is now a free plugins for 3dsmax, we just need an add on for blender. I read it was something planned, but I don’t know when and by who…

However, from my point of view it is useless to try to export modifiers. Those parameters are always changing in each version

Hello, thanks for reply.
Yes it is true but I would say blender python API is changing a lot but maxscript is no to much developing.
In fact i have got separated functions in python script and maxscript. Any change can be easly made.
I would say that API, functions connected to location, or exporting OBJ are “formed”, I hope nothing in that would change.

In Maxscript I am reading xml using dotNet function so it is standard. When I was writing code I was searching information in internet. I used solution from post which was wrote in 2007, so Maxscript is quite stable.

The right way to do it is the alembic way, there is now a free plugins for 3dsmax

Could you tell me something abouy alembic?
I can’t much information about that? What it is exactly? Some kind of data representation? What is main adventage?

http://exocortex.com/alembic

Thanks Zorgik. Alembic is an open format to describe CG scene. It bakes geometry animation with point caching, and it is very efficient at that. You don’t transfer complex modifiers like armature, shape keys, etc… It is used by all softwares now, even if you don’t need to export to another software, because baked scene are lighter for lighting department (and it is safer to manipulate, you can’t move bones unattentionaly).

Yes, You are right I am not exporting all this feature. My exporter is rather some kind of support to export static scene using OBJ. Main target is exporting model which modifier to 3ds, another is modeling in blender and rendering in 3ds max in v-ray.
I don’t want to export animation. So I don’t need to have bones and shape-keys. Export is gentle topic. I would say that FBX is for that.

What do You mean? What is lighting department?
Another question is how it works exactly? I mean for example I have box and I am animating it.
In frame 0 I have got position A in frame 10 I have got position B.
It is using interpolation and save box position in all frame?(0,1,2…10)
Or it is exporting data in some smart way (only 0, 10 )

honestly it is first time I am hearing about alembic. Did you use it(not in blender of course)? It is good solution? Or it is nonstandard just like collada? I wonder how it performs in practice:) I read big companies was interested in so it should work good:)