Blended Reality: Char Game model contest, 23 people, started

count me in too! but i don’t think i will finish the texturing in time.

Im in too.

shbaz: Well, about the lowest-poly model, I don’t mean to make it 5 faces, just to model a low-poly model that still looks great to watch. So you can make a 500 quads model that’s just awesome. But that’s the challenge, creating a model with 3000 tri’s isn’t actualy a challenge, it’s easy and still too much tri’s for a game model for the blender’s game engine. I did around 15 models that are just 200 quads, (around 500 tri’s or even less) Also most of my models are just around 500 quads or less, and guess what, if I make them all actors and place 20 around a map, the blender game engine laggs like hell. :-?

Here some samples I modeled: http://212.123.169.51/elysiun/models These models are all under the 1000 tri’s around 500 quads, most of them without textures, but I’ve got textured ones on my pc, but these are for a secret project I’ll start when the engine runs on blender 2.3 or 2.5 faster then it now does, with new features. I hope these makes you blend your brains out :D[/quote]

I haven’t done much modeling, but I’ll take a shot at it. Count me in :slight_smile:

If I were modeling for an actual game though, I wouldn’t like to go over 1000 triangles. (Games should be about gameplay! If I wanted awsome realistic graphics I’d watch a movie.) However for characters that will just be put in a simple non-interactive scene, higher poly counts are OK…

I havent made many models, but I’ll give it a shot.

600 poly in the decimator would be great for the limit of the contest.

Hello

The problem with very low poly models, is that the model quality will rely most on the UV texture work
Anyway, you can count me in!!

Bye

Great, I added the following people to the total list:
<-- members -->
wiseman303
lizard809
OTO
dreamkatana
Gelutu
jrt
<---->

It’s going to be great, I think we will see some serious models. :smiley:

Oh well… I guess its good for practice even though I dont stand a chance!

I completely have to agree

you can get some details in 600 triangles [or even 500], but it relies on really good textures and can’t be as detailed as most main characters would be

I’m going to have lots of detail in what I am working on, but the textures will not be that great [my skills lack somewhat, but I’ll see what I can do]. I’m looking at 2000-2500 triangles

… which is a bunch admittedly

I think 3000 would be a bit high though for blender, but it is by no means too high for current hardware [console and pc hardware]. It is a bit much for blender, I guess 2000 is a good comprimize [even if I will have trouble staying below it].

well, I’m out of the contest ( Wings3d ) but wanted to say something: About polycount.

That you have 3000 tris doesn’t mean you can throw them away…for a 3k poly model each polygon still counts. Is just that you can add more detail, be more realistic…

And by no means it is easier to do a hi res than low. I know well as I had to do both in the past. Also, hi res requires much more anatomy knowledge (and this is going to get crazy, already is, with normal maps, with millions of polies…not everyone can reach that level of realism)

I can bang a 600 tris model in no time, and good enough.It takes much more a 3k model. So , yep, is probaby better for a one week challenge (done in hobby time, that is.At a company it’d be too much)

In fact, low polies do not make me feel the challenge as I think they’re quite easier than a 3k model. (just a thought: uv mapping WELL fingers…(inside walls, etc))

Also is easier the uvmapping and texturing.

Today games are most of all ~ 2000 as minimum. 1000-1500 for certain RTS ones. (of course, even much lower for many more characters, and LOD makes them even be a triangle with a sprite in the distance)

heck, then I’ll have to wait for an “hybrid” (wings+blender+ultimate unwrap+deep paint3d :wink: …euh…probably to hibryd…not so much if animation gets included, as the important part would be done in Blender…)
contest with much higher count to motivate my self… :wink:

Anyway, if Game Blender requires lower models, then…anyway, are the models going to be used in GameBlender, if not, I’d not see the point, as it’d be better demonstrate that Blender can actually do real time models of today…

Much luck to all contestant and let’s start seeing nice pics… :slight_smile:
I’ll grab a beer… :smiley:

indeed, some numbers: Ut2003, --> 3000, 3500 tris. (multiplayer game)
doom3 can eat 5000 polys model with normal maps on…or those were old specs, maybe this went higher…

Playstation2 I think can eat like 60k tris (whole scen and characters in it) at same time, but not sure if that’s the exact number, but this always depend on the number of surfaces, Ai , collisions, etc, that could be bloating all.

I worked at a company and we had a c++ engine with levels with 100k tris…true it got fried when putting some effects like smoke, but without it, and the crazy thing of 7k models ingame (but no more than two at once(never tried), one time saw also anothe rof about 2k plus the other 2) whic actually were non eficient (easted polies, not the number) and it run more than allright. No “jumps”… on ati 9100 64mb/128mb and 256 mb ram, I think.

quake3 was about 1300 tris per character, quake was quite lower.
I think most halflife/UT1 mods I have seen were about 1000 tris, but so much long ago. (besides mods often are very badly optimized)

:smiley: Hi there JD, could i join?

What we need to submit for you? Just the .blend files or some rended images? :-?

Thankx,
Bye!

Would it be possible to submit more then one entry? Becuase I can wack out quite a few lowpoly models in a week ^_-

Look, your arguments against higher poly models are invalid. Here is why.

You say that 20 of your models make the engine run slow, but you fail to realize that not every game requires that. I already mentioned 2d backgrounds, which means that the scene will have about 20 faces and the rest is free for your models. Do you really think it’s a problem to have a few 2k poly models in a scene like this? It isn’t. It’s perfectly plausible, and as I mentioned, it’s been done in Blender already.

You think it’s easier to make higher poly models? I don’t think so. The less the complexity the harder it is to mess it up, and the only hard thing is painting in all of the details that you won’t be representing with proper geometry. The hard part about modelling in higher poly is that you need to spread your detail properly and not use all of your faces in small irrelevant areas, focusing on making everything appear rounded and not jagged and then things like eye sockets and etc. Just because more people do it doesn’t mean they’re doing it right either.

In short, you only think Blender can’t handle it because you’re making games that are limiting you, not because it can’t handle it.

Thorgal: :smiley: Hi there JD, could i join?

Yes ofcourse, I’ll add you right now.

Ok Monday the contest starts, you all have 1 week to finish a model that’s textured. rigged, and low-poly. Afther you’re done, you may post a presentation of your character on another topic that I’ll create when the contest is over. You need to post a picture with front, side and wireframe view, and one cool pose with some things you’re allowed to add like guns, books or whatever. :smiley:

The tot list of joined members are:
<– members –>
dreamsgate
Tigy
Sutabi
z3r0 d
shbaz
JD-Multi
friedbrain
wiseman303
lizard809
OTO
dreamkatana
Gelutu
jrt
Thorgal
<---->

If I forgot someone, just tell me. :stuck_out_tongue: Btw, if you want to join afther monday, no problem, but you don’t get any extended time, just finish it at the end of the contest. 8)

I wish everyone good luck, and may the best win, and ofcourse Have Fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Add MrArmadillo to the list. Gonna give it a try

does that mean I need to start over?

Will be a honor to compete with guys (?) like JD, z3, Sutabi, and OTO… darn! iam lost…
%|
good luck for all of you! :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: what about a Juri? JD, Maybe you can invite Saluk, Kester…

z3r0 d:
I didn’t realized he changed his orginal post so I was lost like you…

I already modeled,rig and completed half of texture to find out that the contest didn’t start yet. But its not to much hurt since I have a much better thing to model now.