Blender 2.3 Guide tut

I don’t know if this is the proper place to post this, if not, please let me know where I can post questions concerning the Blender Guide tutorials. I have some questions regarding a Blender 2.3 Guide tutorial.

I’m going through the very first one (the gingerbread man), and while using version 2.3.5a I notice the extrude tool offers options not covered in the book. I chose region, which appears to be closest to what I need, but movement is constricted along the X axis. I MMB click in hopes to get freeform, but nothing happens. I try extruding using any of the other options, but I don’ get the desired results.

So I loaded version 2.3.2 and while I go through the motions, things still don’t follow along as planned. When I tab into edit mode, none of the vertices are selected, contrary to what the book says. I have to either press A use use the B key to get the vertices selected. This also happened in 2.3.5a.

The book mentions to make a “knee” for the gingerbread man but the book’s screen shots clearly show only a “leg” and a “foot”. After I copy and mirror the left side, I apply the remove doubles function. In the book, it says I should get a message saying 8 vertices were removed. I get a box that says 32 vertices were removed.

Well, that’s as far as I gone with this so far, but needless to say, I’m confused. This is a pretty simple and straighforward tutorial, and I don’t understand why things aren’t occuriring as expected. Is there a significant number of typos in the Blender 2.3 Guide that I should be aware of? I look forward to learning Blender, but this is not the best foot to start off on.

Thanks for any info on this.

after you have extruded along the region, click once (left-click) and use [g] to grab the face, and the face will move freely

it really doesn’t matter how many vertices are removed, because it is very difficult to model exactly the way the book does it. these differences may cause functions to do slightly different things…

im not quite sure on what you mean by “knee”…

~Delta

>>after you have extruded along the region, click once (left-click) and use [g] to grab the face, and the face will move freely <<

Well, OK, I’ll try that in 2.3.5a. I’m just going “by the book” here, and things aren’t happening as they state, such as all vertices should be selected when I go into edit mode. They’re not.

I’m seeing some other strange activity and I’m wondering if it’s hardware related. After working with the program for a while (I’m back on 2.3.2), it’s starts to get really sluggish. Commands invoked take several seconds to happen, and navigating using MMB works only on the first try, it doesn’t work at all afterwards. I have to keep pressing 1, 3, or 7 (which take several moments to return to their respective views) and do it again.

The system I’m working on is based on a 3.2 gig P4 with 2 gigs of ram and an ATI FireGL T2 card with 128 megs of ram. I have another, slower system based around an NVidia FX5200 card with 256 megs of ram, I’m going to see if I get the same reaction there.

im not quite sure on what you mean by “knee”…

They’re simply discussing creating a “knee” for the “leg” of the gingerbread man. There’s clearly no knee in the book’s screengrabs.

I’ll answer to the best of my ability…

The gingerbread tutorial can be frustrating, it was one of the first tutorials I did as a newbie and I remember being confused by it, especially since I wasn’t familiar with the Blender interface. One of the reasons it can be confusing is that it tries to cover a lot of ground rather than sticking to one area.

The extrusion process looks different from the book because it was changed a bit in 2.35. There used to be only one method of extrusion, so there was no menu for choosing between different kinds. The most common option is “Region”, since if you’re extruding a group of connected faces it keeps them together. Second, it used to be that when you started to do the extrusion you would move the new vertices freely in the viewing plane, now it moves the new vertices in a line “normal” or perpendicular to the original faces. If you want to move the new vertices freely, press G (the same key you’d press to freely move objects or parts of them in other modes). For more details see the “Extrude” section in the portion of the 2.35 release notes about mesh editing.

Is this just after you create the mesh, or after you’ve edited it?

If you have some configuration of selected vertices that you don’t want you can always use A to deselect all and then start from scratch.

I’ve looked at my copy of the book, and as you say the shots in the “Modelling” section don’t seem to show Gus’s knees. However, the shots in the “Skinning” section do show his knees; they are also present in the shots in the Modeling section of the tutorial in the online version of the manual. The knee-less Gus in the book’s shots seems to be an error.

I don’t know exactly what you did, but there are several ways of generating extra doubles. If you extrude faces that are exactly next to and parallel to each other, and choose “individual faces” instead of “region”, it will duplicate the vertices they have in common. Also, if you extrude a face and don’t move the new vertices they will become doubles of the original vertices.

I’m just going “by the book” here, and things aren’t happening as they state, such as all vertices should be selected when I go into edit mode.

this has been an update in 2.35 with the new selection modes and whatnot, so it wouldn’t be in a book written for 2.30…

im not quite sure what is causing your last selection to be lost when you exit the re-enter edit mode… the selection is usually “stored”

this is what they mean by “knee”: (its circled in red…)

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/7213/Knee.png

i hope this helps

~Delta

Hey Excitron. Part of your frustration that I believe that you are expressing correctly is that there are errors in the tutorial itself. I went through the same process a few months ago and was as confused and frustrated as you are. Just know that you aren’t crazy or aren’t mis-understanding, the book is wrong in quite a few places.

If I can offer any advice to you that hasn’t already been said, I would start with 2.35. I wouldn’t go back to an earlier version. SInce there are mistakes in the book and sometimes the tutorial is vague, you may as well learn the new features and changes in the UI at the same time. There are many excellent people on these forums that happen to be really good, patient teachers.

I hope this helps.

>>Is this just after you create the mesh, or after you’ve edited it?<<

Well, it works with the default cube created. It tells you to get rid of the light, stick the camera in layer 10, then select the cube and press tab. It goes into edit mode, and all the vertices are supposed to be selected, but they’re not. I have to press A to do so.

If I can offer any advice to you that hasn’t already been said, I would start with 2.35.<<

Well, possibly. I prefer 2.3.5a because it has undo, but little “gotchas” like the extrude differences could make matters worse, dunno. I’d like to learn the program, not go on an Easter Egg Hunt as to why things aren’t panning out.

>>SInce there are mistakes in the book and sometimes the tutorial is vague, you may as well learn the new features and changes in the UI at the same time.<<

If that’s so, is there a document somewhere that lists the errors? Is there an updated HTML or PDF version of the book online that can be downloaded?

It sounds like you have the ATI slowdown problem. I’m a hardware moron so I can’t suggest anything but a quick search on “ATI” or “ATI slowdown” should bring up a lot of threads about the problem and some possible fixes.

I thought that this was fixed though for the last version? :-?

I had to smile when I read this thread. As a Blender newbie, I was just last night working through the Gus tutorial, wondering why I wasn’t getting freeform motion when I extruded his arms and legs. I figured out the extrude-then-G business by trial and error, and I’m delighted to learn I’m not losing my mind :smiley: I was also working through the dolphin tutorial in the PDF guide, and found a bug in the lattice resolution sliders that crashed 2.35 every time (which I reported with some trepidation, since I was sure I was being stupid rather than having actually found something after spending about 2 hours with the program). There are lots of other little things (for example, I never see any colored blue and pink faces as shown in the docs when I select and deselect things; maybe there’s a user preference I don’t know about or a release note change I didn’t see). I agree it’s a bit frustrating, but my early impression is that the quirks and the learning curve will be worth it.

Welcome to blender Jeff :slight_smile: . Nice to see you’re getting into it. Trial and error is definitely a great way to learn. If you want the pink faces/edges, just enter edit mode and go the the Edit buttons window. In the “Mesh Tools 1” box there should be a bunch on unselected draw option. Just click whatever you want blender to draw: faces, edges, normals, etc.

Have fun. The learning curve is definitely worth it :wink:

Thank you for the welcome! I now have pink and blue faces…I strongly suspected there was a toggle I hadn’t enabled (and which the book didn’t mention :wink: ).

Which goes back to the original point of the thread: I don’t mind trial and error at all, but it would indeed save time and furrowed brows if these “little things” were up to date. Does the Blender development community have dedicated documentation folks, and if so, do they have a “bug” reporting system similar to that for the code? (Although, docs are more subjective than code bugs, so maybe that would just generate more noise than signal.)

Generally, though, I’m not surprised that a multi-platform, open-source project on version “2.35a” doesn’t have fully consistent docs, and the present tutorial is close enough that I got Gus together without mangling the poor guy. I’ll just ask humble newbie questions here :expressionless: when necessary!

Here’s the link to the online version of the guide:
volume 1
volume 2