blender 2.4 alpha-2 testbuild, OUT!

(Flurp) #1

look here!

woo! :wink:

(cekuhnen) #2

the booleans work great! in some cases they still create some funny results but even in maya you need to do clean up work afterwards.

it would be so great if the booleans would also work with subdiv surfaces.

however i did not understand what they ment with “targetless-IK and ghosts.” for the new animation system.

anybody has a clue what they mean with that?

claas

(mzungu) #3

Isn’t ghosting similar to onion-skinning in 2d anim?

(Claws) #4

Is it me or have ‘local axis’ disappeared? like when I want to scale something and i press ‘x’ twice it still both scales along global axis and displays ‘global axis’.

I’ll report it if everyone else is missing this.

Edit: submitted to bugtracker - really annoying bug O_o

(Bussman) #5

It isn’t you. I’m on OS X here and it isn’t working as it should. It was broken in the previous build also.

(sten) #6

I thought Onionskinning existed in other 3D packages, and not only in 2D :slight_smile:

but yes it is like Onionskinning…

it means you can grab any bone in posemode and let the rest of the armature follow…like pulling a humans arm…and rest of body follows…(if ik chain is properly set) :slight_smile: very neat stuff! and now we don’t even need a seperate IK target/constrain (a bone or a empty) …just say how long chain-lenght will be and pull any bone :wink: voilá !

(Claws) #7

[quote=“ztonzy”]

it means you can grab any bone in posemode and let the rest of the armature follow…like pulling a humans arm…and rest of body follows…(if ik chain is properly set) :slight_smile: very neat stuff! and now we don’t even need a seperate IK target/constrain (a bone or a empty) …just say how long chain-lenght will be and pull any bone :wink: voilá ![/quote]

I dare(!) you to do an example .blend! :wink: I gotta see it.

(Bussman) #8

DIY! Add armature with half a dozen bone. Hit the Automatic IK button on the armature panel of the edit context. Go into pose mode… Have fun.

(Claws) #9

DIY! Add armature with half a dozen bone. Hit the Automatic IK button on the armature panel of the edit context. Go into pose mode… Have fun.[/quote]

that is pretty awesome compared to the regular/old way :o

(Clean3D) #10

Anything special I need to do to get it to work on a mac? I click on it. The icon bounces on the dock. It closes out without even opening a window!

Have any other mac users had this problem?

(Flurp) #11

DIY! Add armature with half a dozen bone. Hit the Automatic IK button on the armature panel of the edit context. Go into pose mode… Have fun.[/quote]

one word: Jeepers!!! :o

that will save everyone hours of rigging time. thats amazing, its soooooo easy to now make a good rigged arm, or… anything!!!

as you can decipher from my words, i quite like this feature! :stuck_out_tongue:

(youngbatcat) #12

ok I see how the new auto ik works! sweetttt… But now going back to an old experiment I had before. How can we use this to say grab the hand bone and pull it so far that the whole body will follow as well

(theeth) #13

Not a bug, it’s just that the transform changes are totally missing from the release notes.

As you might have noticed, the modifier “alignement” pulldown menu is always present in the 3D window header, regardless if they are on or off.
That’s because that option now defines what the second keypress does. Ctrl-MMB is the counterpart to MMB for that selected alignement.

Also worthy of note is that there’s a new entry for View alignement in that menu.

Note 1: To get the old behavior, just select Local on that menu.
Note 2: This could/will change for a more practical system in a future release, most likely not 2.40 though, unless someone has a much better idea that can be implemented fast. There’s a developement thread in the tracker, if some are interested.

Other transform changes are mostly bug fixes or slight behavior fixes (making shrink/fatten and push/pull increase/decrease size with the same motion. they used to be reversed).

Martin

(youngbatcat) #14

More experiments, I can make it strech now, but stilll the object is frozen in place where the root bone is located… Can this be hacked in ? or is it something missing ??

(miffwhite) #15

I can’t download blender for a while-- but is the targetless ik like full body IK in Motion Builder and the new Maya? – Because if it is, thats mighty impressive.

(Claws) #16

Thanks for clearing this up - I see how it works now. Might I be as bold as to suggest that it defaults to local :slight_smile:

(Paul_C) #17

In the same boat here. I downloaded the build above it (labelled 2.3 for some reason - but I think that refers to the python version you need installed) and it worked… only when I went to render something, Blender crashed. Is there some reason Blender Os X will only work on Mas Os X 10.3.9 and above? What about below?

(brucegregor) #18

Try keying any bone in a chain using automatic IK. I’ve been unable to set any keyframes for loc or rot. Is there some other method for setting keyframes for bones moved using auto IK?

Greg Smith

(lukep) #19

In the same boat here. I downloaded the build above it (labelled 2.3 for some reason - but I think that refers to the python version you need installed) and it worked… only when I went to render something, Blender crashed. Is there some reason Blender Os X will only work on Mas Os X 10.3.9 and above? What about below?[/quote]

There is 2 things at work here :

• there is 2 builds depending indeed of the python version installed. The scripters wanted to switch to 2.4, but Os X is still at 2.3. So the python 2.4 build will not even launch if this version is not installed (available from python.org)

• there was changes made in Os X system by apple that make a build done with gcc3.3 on tiger (which is faster) not work with versions before 10.3.9. A separate build will be provided , perhaps even 2 for earlier 10.3 and 10.2 users.

this is a bit of inconvenience, but simply choose the build adapted to your case.

For the release, this may change, but in any case, we will support from 10.2 to 10.4.

Now if it launch it should work without crash. Check in the render panel that the internal renderer is selected and not yafray.

A bit of warning : if you are on G5 powermac with an nvidia card, DO NOT install the 10.4.3 update. serious drawing problems with it

(Bussman) #20

You da man! Thanks!