Blender 2.40 Hair Test (Nudity)

I spent a little time playing with Blender 2.40’s new hair-like particle effects with curve guides. Wow. I’m liking it.

I also tweaked the armature using the new bone envelopes and weighting. Although still not perfect (I’d really like partial weighting strength when rotating the bone on its own Y axis, full strength on the X and Z axes), it’s way better than the previous armature rigging system, and I am actually able to pose my complex high-poly mesh.

Here’s thumbnail, which you can click on to get the full-size version:

[EDIT]This is a newer version of the image, based on comments below, so keep that in mind when reading comments.[/EDIT]
http://faemalia.net/Blender/TwinsAndTwinsAgain-1024.jpg.thumb.jpg

As per usual, you can get the .blend from the same page if you want to play around. Hair is on layers 8,9,0. All other (useful) objects on layers 1-6.

Very nice, but the face seams a lithe to inflate if we compare to the tin body.

I gather that you mean that the face is a little too large looking compared to the thin body. I agree on that.

Nice meshing, especially the body, but the face needs a lot of work (brown bag? Just kidding :smiley: ). If you can spend more time on the head and the facial features, then entire human figure will balance out nicely. I have been working on a human head for a few months now and still haven’t quite tweaked it the way I want, so don’t get discouraged.

I gather that you mean that the face is a little too large looking compared to the thin body. I agree on that.[/quote]
I too agree. I’ve been waiting until Blender had better morphing controls. 2.40 might have it, haven’t had time to check. If it’s a bit better, then I’ll not only model the face into what I consider a more beautiful configuration (hint: she’ll be far-East Asian), but I’ll add in emotion targets, like frustrated, angry, ecstatic, smiling, coy, etc, so that I can take this to the next level.

Last night I did some detail zooms. I put them in the faemalia.com gallery here:

http://faemalia.net/Blender/CreativeExhaust/ViewFromHere-Detail.jpg.thumb.jpg

There are a couple of limitations of the hair code. It should scale the size of the hair particle depending on the scale chosen for the render. If you render the image at 50%, then her hair might look too full, so you subtract 30% of the hairs and change the thickness to be less. Then you render the image at 100%, and her hair looks too thin and unhealthy.

Also, it’d be nice if the particle reduced its alpha as it approached the end. The minimum thickness of the hair (0.250) is too thick. Ah, well. This is a huge improvement, and I’m having a ball with this hair!

you can do precisely that (reduce the alpha) with a blend texture mapped to the strand of the hair… that was the original intent, to keep the hair thickness at 1 pixel and map the alpha to make the illusion of it getting thinner… controllable strand thickness was added later.

very nice composition, just two things i would change,

first i like the rectangel, but i would make it a bit smaller along the vertical axis. the type face you selected seems to be stretched along the horizontal axis. in case the type face is made this way, just dont use that one. as a type designer i saw that first and seriously the type face looks bad this way.

third, i would change the find edges, emboss fx. just dont only apply the filter. that is what everybody does, how about you apply the emboss, remove the majority of the gray background, darken than the remaning edges sharpen them a bit and attach a new gray background with a by far lighter tone. the gray tone you used draws away to much attention.

i think that would give you some really nice combination of 3d rendering and 2d sketch look.

edit: i just went to you website and read what your work is about: go to

http://de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cekuhnen/album?.dir=e3fd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3A//de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

and check out the prints there. well they are all done in printmaking with marker and ink tools and than composed in photoshop and transfered with the great low tech lacker thinner technique.

when you pay attention to the line quality and how only few lines create a string sense of erotic you can understand my comment about the embos filter thing.

I was just wondering. Is the female figure (and face) supposed to look realistic, or is it supposed to look cartoonish? I am wondering if the final rendering is close to what you envisioned.

I have to say, the body is great. I’d like to see my “head rendering” put onto that body.

Thanks for the critique! I agreed totally about the broken rectangle size and font after you mentioned it.

i would change the find edges, emboss fx.

Actually, it was two layers, each “Grain Extract.” Which is, I guess, what an emboss effect is.

edit: i just went to you website and read what your work is about: go to
http://de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cekuhnen/album?.dir=e3fd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3A//de.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
and check out the prints there.

You might consider hosting your stuff on faemalia.com. That Yahoo! site is Really Really Slow. Well, maybe it’s just a bad fibre day through the Atlantic or something… :confused: I’d really like a few more artists’ works on faemalia.com, especially by… you know… educated artists such as yourself.

when you pay attention to the line quality and how only few lines create a string sense of erotic you can understand my comment about the embos filter thing.

Of course, what you’re really saying is “don’t use an emboss effect, but rather an edge detection effect.” But no matter, right you are. I went through the process, rather than just apply an edge effect. I increased the contrast and brightness, then eliminated the saturation on those layers.

Thank you so much for your critiques. Anytime someone says something about my composition that actually makes me go open up the XCF and start modifying it is a good time. I really appreciate your comments, and I think I have a better image because of it. I’ve posted the modified versions.

http://faemalia.net/Blender/TwinsAndTwinsAgain-1024.jpg.thumb.jpg

You can see both versions here for comparison.

It’s far more photorealistic than is typically my style, because I have been experimenting with skin shaders and such. I prefer the artistic/painted look, personally, so I take away much of the photorealism in postprocessing.

After I get better with Blender and GIMP, I will probably remove 50% of the skin shader’s tweaks and move back into pure artsy look, staying far away from photorealism.

My intent with all my artworks is to be closer to the look of a painting or “cartoon” than realism (sometimes I fail?).

I have to say, the body is great. I’d like to see my “head rendering” put onto that body.

Man… wouldn’t it be awesome if you could download the .blend and play around with it? :smiley:

It’s far more photorealistic than is typically my style, because I have been experimenting with skin shaders and such. I prefer the artistic/painted look, personally, so I take away much of the photorealism in postprocessing.

After I get better with Blender and GIMP, I will probably remove 50% of the skin shader’s tweaks and move back into pure artsy look, staying far away from photorealism.

My intent with all my artworks is to be closer to the look of a painting or “cartoon” than realism (sometimes I fail?).

Man… wouldn’t it be awesome if you could download the .blend and play around with it? :D[/quote]Could you upload the file in rar or zip instead of gz? I keep getting no archive found when I try to extract.

hey

i could send you some more images of my print making work.
i just quickly uploaded it for you to show you what i mean.

the new version looks much better, but still i sense the plug in design
effect. well i have to say i went to a german design school and in contrast
to the states where i study and teach at the moment they use fx design.

what about you print out that embos / edge images use transparent paper
with a sketch / brush pen you sketch over it scan it in and put that into the
background? i like the line work now much better because the gray area does
not distract you anymore and your two figures get all attention.

think about a more creative way to position the text. the text could be in a
medium gray above the sketch version of your left model. the gray text could also be above the black rectangle. do not just use centere orientated for your text. either use left and align it with the left edge of the rectangle or let it follow the curve of the left figure.

last give the hole thing a bit more empty white space around the rectangle.

i am happy that my comments helped you. i rather dislike the word critique i prever correction a lot more. we use correction in germany.
it sounds more positive.

claas

Perhaps the word isn’t being translated properly into German. In English, the word “critique” has a positive connotation, whereas “criticism” has a negative connotation. The former is used in art and literature, the latter in disciplinary context.

When online, I try to ignore connotation in language, because there are so many non-English-speaking Europeans and Asians that post to artistic forums like this one.

(One thing that seems VERY common is to say “This is my last work” when they mean “This is my latest work,” and I always feel sad when I read it, because it feels like they are finally tired of being artists and will stop making art anymore)

Anyway, to keep it on topic, I’ll consider your further critiques. I’m really not a typesetter, so for me the text is just informational. Perhaps I should put it outside the flow of the image entirely.

Sorry to reply twice… but what do you mean by this? The second reading really makes me wonder what this is. It sounds intriguing.

mh i think three or four lines would be great.
grotest or a script might fit well
or a san or serief like gill. there are few types which can catch up
with the esthetic of the image and the linework.

it’s interesting that you explain the work critique. i did not know that it has a positive notation. well i found that students seem to like the word correction a lot cause well after showing me their work i just tell them whats wrong what good and they can correct/improve it.

still i feel uncomfortable with the word critique …

to your double post, ok i was born with the mouse in my hand acording to my old professor father but at the fachhochschule hildesheim for applied art and sience the focus was on manual skills. i hardly use any filters in photoshop. the only i use are blur and sharpen. the rest always produce static results. they just cannot compet with hand done jobs. i learned 24 illustration techniques, so give me what ever and i will draw with it. think about the prints i showed you. they are all hand drawn. i decided where i want the line to be how thick, where to end, clean or dirty … that is what makes the pieces so natural.

that is also the difference between how a lot of design classes are teached here in the usa. use use use filters is what a lot of instructors teach. your cd cover needs at “least” (sorry i guess this one is wrong as well) 9 photoshop filters. for us europeans that is called effect design in graphic design and the last to desire. this feeling is the one which emerged in me when i saw you image the first time. i saw the potential of the line work but i was bored by the steril/dead expression of the filter work.

so funny i started with computers and now i do all by hand. so funny how tast and opinion changes.

this does not mean filters should not be used. but for me there is a danger that they are used in away that people will get the though “uh they just used a filter” and that is what i do not want.

Wow, look at those preteens !!! The face is too fat, in my opinion.

I think I’m with you here. I do use a bit more than just blur/sharpen myself. I’m into noise, distorts (like value propogation), edge detection, and overlay and screen. While reworking the font and effect, I also reworked the colour and line of the girls. Make sure you look at the 1024x600 version.

that is also the difference between how a lot of design classes are teached here in the usa. use use use filters is what a lot of instructors teach. your cd cover needs at “least” (sorry i guess this one is wrong as well) 9 photoshop filters. for us europeans that is called effect design in graphic design and the last to desire.

ZOMG! You have to be joking. That is the worst! I’m glad I never went through formal design and commercial art, or I’d be tainted by this. That’s the most demoralising thing I’ve heard all day! I don’t feel satisfied until I’ve gotten the look I want with LESS filters. Zero would be nice.

this feeling is the one which emerged in me when i saw you image the first time. i saw the potential of the line work but i was bored by the steril/dead expression of the filter work.

And, you were right. Probably still are. :slight_smile: I’m simply no artist. I wish I had more time to devote to this hobby. One day I’ll be independently wealthy then I’ll devote most of my time to art and music!