Blender 2.41 release is soon, with emphasis on GE updates!!!

Yah, I appreciate the work that is put into the GE already. I mean in my last post, is there plans for integration of 2d sprites?

no luck on osx builds yet

Suggested new features:

1. The Parent Actuator - as suggested by PlantPerson
  2. Python script to reload a certain texture during the game - I’ve developed some GREAT scene transition scripts that would only require this feature to work.
  3. The ability to render from a non-active camera onto a texture - This would allow an AMAZING leap forward in game quality. It could be used to fake reflections, etc. :o

Also please could you implement all your (Dreamkatana’s) and Snailrose’s test engines into mainstream blender? That would be great! :smiley:

Keith. 8)

How about “object gravity”: objects with this turned on will move towards each other depending on their mass. Useful for planet/moon systems and magnetism.

Hehe finally the GE got some attention.
Well before we all want to add some features, we have to find all the possible bugs that we encountered right now, greate a blend file that recreates the bug, add a text file in the blend and type how to find the bug and recreate it, and what it exactly causes. Then post at the bugtracker, upload your blend and post a link as well to that file.

Personally I can’t use the bugtracker because for some reason the blender.org account system doesn’t like all my e-mails. The server log says it sends activation e-mails to activate my account, but when I check my e-mail, I never got one, even not in the spam folder. :x

I hope the people who find some bug, can report it. :slight_smile:

If you want it really badly, it can be done with a python script, by applying forces to both objects.
Erwin

Sorry by Python script in num 2) I meant the ability to do it from a python script. An addition to the game engine python API in other words.

Keith. 8)

I just thought of another one. I once had a small airplane in a game with a different main character. The airplane had to have a constant upward force applied so it would not be affected by the scenes’ gravity. It would be useful if there was a way to disable gravity for some dynamic objects.

Why can’t I find anything on the official website about this release?

Ummm… you can just add a constant upward force with the relative button off.

Keith. 8)

Ummm… you can just add a constant upward force with the relative button off.

Keith. 8)[/quote]
That’s exactly what I did, my friend. But it didn’t work very well.

Quick update, Erwin has posted a new ( windows ) build…

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7849

Please test all of your GE content with this, and report any bugs.

Regards…
Mal

Just tested the Blender 2.41 alpha1 with the test files.
Sebulba looked great! Really beautiful.

But in the PhysicsAnimationBakingDemo, when the ball get stuck by the boxes, it forces it’s way through it… Coming forth and back, until it falls, really wierd.
The textures from Splat demo are missing. It can be replaced by any image?

The textures from Splat demo are missing. It can be replaced by any image?

I forgot to pack the textures :expressionless: . The second texture needs an alpha channel for this demo to work.

Thanks,
snailrose

Snailrose, how difficult would it be to get this working in the current GE?

This is a very simple scene, just a box with two materials, but it could be a student modelled spaceship with different colours for the wind-screen, wings, thrusters etc ).

www.candointeractive.com/blender/SimpleMaterials.blend

When you press P, the whole object uses the first material. It would be AMAZING if the GE could automatically use the two different materials in-game ( without requiring the object to be split and attached first etc )

With so many advanced features being added, this would be a nice simple addition ( but I’m sure it wouldn’t be so simple to code! )

Best regards, and keep up the great work!
Mal

Hey,

I must not understand your question fully. You can do that without splitting the model.
just select the faces you want for a certain material and hit the Assign button(in the material
panel)

here is the same model doing that.
http://home.bresnan.net/~snailrose/tmp-del/SimpleMaterials2.blend

Thanks,
snailrose

Hi Snailrose,

> You can do that without splitting the model. just select the faces you want > for a certain material and hit the Assign button(in the material
> panel)

I thought I did do that, I created a simple cube, and mapped it with one colour. I then selected two faces of the object, added a new material, and assigned it to just those two faces ( so that in the viewport, there were two different colours applied to the model - well, in the solid and shaded viewport ).

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between our two scenes? Your’s works, but the one I created doesn’t.

When you loaded my scene into Blender and ran it, did you see the two different colours ( I noticed that your scene was set to textured, could you try loading my scene up and switching to solid or shaded view ( you should see the two colours on the cube ), and then pressing P? )

It would be great if this was working ( I’m using Erwins latest build )
Mal

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1. I hope some of the feature proposals you all posted get into this new blender release…
    2… I’m soooo happy! A new release… and only for us! Time to get a real video card :smiley: !

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You’re all my heroes :wink: !

Hey,

I down loaded your file again and it looks like the ‘Use Blender Materials’ option isn’t
set. Just check that and it should work, it worked for me any way.
All the changes made will be bypassed if this option is unchecked.

Thanks,
snailrose

Hi Snailrose,

That rocks!

Just out of curiosity ( this might be a bug btw ), could you load the clown.blend file from the Blender GE regression suite?

Here’s the download link, you probably already have it.

http://download.blender.org/demo/test/225_game_demos.zip

When you play it normally in the GE, all of the materials come through.

When you use Blender materials however, some of the textured objects appear ( the clown etc ), but some dont ( the floor ). Is there a reason for some of the textures working and some not, or shoud they all be displayed ( ie bug )?

If the majority of scenes were compatible with the Blender Materials option, then hopefully it can be enabled by default!

Regards…
Mal

Hey,

The problem is that materials on an object are handled differently now.
If there is a material on the object it will use the material instead, if not the default face texture material will be used.
You can however fix this by setting the TexFace button. The textures will then come from the face texture.
Materials in the clown blend are used to set physics information and no textures are assigned to it.
So it is the grey material color only. If you set the TexFace option it will look the same as the default.

I could not find the materials coming through when played normally. so that may be a bug.
can you post a picture with this happening?

Thanks,
snailrose