Blender 2.45 crashes when selecting multiple vertices in edit mode

Hi

I am having huge problems with Blender 2.45 - the program repeatedly crashes when I attempt to work with even simple mesh structures in edit mode. More specifically, Blender crashes once I start selecting multiple edges, vertex points or faces (Shift+Alt+RMB). When it crashes, all I get is the standard “blender.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” message.

Re-starting the software and sometimes re-booting the computer helps initially but then it gets worse as I have to keep re-launching the application. Re-installation of the Blender software did not appear to work either.

For the record, I am running Windows XP 64-bit edition with 2GB RAM and a 128Mb Nvidia Quadro FX 540 graphics card. I have used Maya 8.5 on it for some months and I’ve never had any issues or crashes with that.

Have any other forum users experienced similar problems?

Really grateful of any assistance or advice here.

offhand, I would say to try the 64-bit version of Blender. Available from Graphicall.org

Thanks for that advice. I tried out the 64-bit build but that didn’t solve the problem either. Blender still crashes when selecting things in edit mode.

Right, it would appear that updating my graphics card with new drivers from NVIDIA has rectified my problem. There are a couple of forum posts from folk who seem to have had similar problems on 32-bit systems. Anyway I don’t get repeated crashes now and as a matter of fact, Blender seems to be a whole lot more responsive. If anyone encounters similar problems to me, my advice would be to check that you have the lastest video drivers as a first measure. Hope this is useful!