blender 2.47 States Tutorial

I just wrote a tutorial for the new states feature for the GE. Feel free to link it in the blender wiki.

Link: http://lostinspacesite.googlepages.com/states.html

:cool:Lostinspace:cool:

this goes in resources xD

thanks for this tut. Now I know why states were made.

I need the newest version right?

Oh thank you very much

now I know what states do :wink:

Hey, that is cool! Thanks!

is what you did in the tut make it so that the object has state 2 only active until you tell it to use state 1?

I’m not really clear on what you are trying to ask… please rephrase with more detail.

I’m having trouble getting it to go back to normal after it leaves the ice.

what do all the different options on the state actuator do?(not the same question but will still help)

as far as I can tell from his tut… he just turns on the other states… I don’t think he turns any of them off.

The state actuator can either turn states on using add, turn them of using sub… or invert them (off become on… on becomes off)… or it can copy the state (doesn’t matter if it is on or off?).

hello lostinspace ,

1- good tutorial , thanks .
2- in the first blend , you have forgot to enable the ghost button on each word :slight_smile: , i thought that i was not apllying it well at the begining , then found out that it’s all a matter of physics …

3- can you expand your tutorial to cover add and subtract ,

4- i suggest you make a blend that will solve the attached phase and expand your tut … , so the logic handle it , and noobs like me understand the whole thing , not only an outline :slight_smile:

5- when i hit 4 to rate your tut , there’s no send rate button .

6- do states only organize , or they open horizones for new things to program ? , i mean is there anything that can’t be done without states ?

thanks for having the potential to the write the tut .

3DGURU .

Attachments

Nice tutorial buddy.It cleared up some concepts for me.

I wish i had come across it last week itself, cause I spent a day figuring out the system and made a simple state machine simulation.

http://iluvblender.googlepages.com/blenderprojects%3Asimplestatemachinesimula

I have linked your tutorial from my project page. Cheers :slight_smile:

as far as I can tell from his tut… he just turns on the other states… I don’t think he turns any of them off.

The state actuator can either turn states on using add, turn them of using sub… or invert them (off become on… on becomes off)… or it can copy the state (doesn’t matter if it is on or off?).

I believe that it turns off the other state and switches to the one it is assigned to… kind of like the ‘set scene’ actuator.

Thank you.

Woops… I will have to fix that. My bad.

At the moment no, because of a combination that I am busy due to school starting and I also do not have much knowledge with them yet. Maybe in the future.

Sounds good… as I said above I’m too busy now but maybe in the future.

That’s weird… what browser are you using?

Well, as far as I know, it just speeds up production. The stuff you can do with states you can probably do with lots and lots of properties but that just adds more logic making the job even more complicated. So as I said AS FAR AS I KNOW it seems like the quick answer is no.

No problem. I wanted to write a tutorial that no one has written about and I found this to be a good topic. And with 437 hits so far it seems to be catching on!

@lostinspace… this a quote from Ben2610 documentation about the copy function for the state actuator.

Cpy: the bit mask is copied to the object state mask.
Add: the bits that set in the bit mask will be turned on in the object state mask.
Sub: the bits that set in the bit mask will be turned off in the object state mask.
Inv: the bits that set in the bit mask will be inverted in the objecyy state mask.
a link to the mailing list topic with the rest of the info.

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2008-June/014521.html

So copying shouldn’t affect the copied from state. You would use copy to run states together… eg. when state 2 is on… you always want state 3 to be on… hence you could use the state actuator to copy the states between state 2 and state 3.

bugger this I tested it out… here’s a link to a demo file
http://blendershare.servebeer.com/newblenderforum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=4

In the file you can control the cube by pushing the up arrow and the right arrow… BUT…
The right arrow gets its state copied after 300 frames delay…ie it turns on after 300 frames.
The up arrow gets its state turned off after 300 frames…
Note how the ‘copy’ states keeps both states on… eg. you can move the box with both the up arrow and the right arrow…

I’m also busy working on a more in depth tut that shows people how to use invert to affect a player by making pickups… I hope to have it finished either today or by the end of the week… it’s posted allready in it’s unfinished form in the tut section of the forum. It’s my first attempt at a tut so feel free to crit it.