Blender 2.47RC2 win - Yafray Registry Key...?

HI -

Blender 2.47RC2 win installer
Comp: Dell XPS M140 Laptop - Processor 1.73ghz

I’m trying to re-familiarize myself with Blender - since there has been a lot of chnages since i used it last in any capasity. I understand Yafray comes with Blender now.

Using the default scene - attempting to render using Yafray… i get a black blank preview render when attempting to use Yafray for rendering.

Tried Default settings - low - medium - high - full
Tried different exposure settings
clicked xml and it crashed Blender immediatly

While writting this i took a look at the cmd line panel to see if anything showed up - and something did.

cmd panel states the following:

compiled with Pythoin verison 2.5.2 etc etc…looking for python … got it…
Starting scene conversion
conversion done
No export directory set in user defaults
will try TEMP… etc etc.
couldn’t find registry key for yafray, is it installed?

well - is it or isn’t it?

Is there a fix?

• and also is there a updated tutorial [2.46 and up] on the different settings for using the built in version of Yafray?

thanx
chase

Two things:

1. Yafray does not come with Blender, but it had become fairly integrated in 2.32. You have to install it separately: http://www.yafray.org/
  2. Yafray is getting old so Blender is dropping support for it. In Blender 2.45, you can only use the xml export, plugin rendering will no longer work.

Some more info:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/YafRay

yafray does not come wih Blender.
you must download it & install.
if you use the search function in the forum you will find some good info.

edit: hmm, egan is way quicker than Meta.

Thanks - i guess it was an old tut i looked at last night as it mentioned Yafray did come bundled with Blender.

BTW - had noticed when using the Particle side - playing with the hair particles last night.

the limit is 100,000? it wouldn’t let me go above that for a grass on a plane last night.

Also the lower panel freaked out - all the little panels for settings went micro mini and all tried crawling up under the header of the lower main panel.

I kept having to hit - Panel view - horizontal - to get it back to even see them - then it finally crashed.

simple scene - grass plane - ball - cube when this happened.

lastly is this the place to mention things like this? or is there a specific area in the forums?
thanx

1. Yafray is not being actively developed, and we are hoping to get a render api that will allow any renderer we want to be plugged in rather than hackishly integrated.
  2. The limit is 100,000 but you can go above this using more than one particle system or by using child particles. In the latter you only really need around a thousand. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Sandbox/Particles-Children
  3. I don’t quite understand you here. A screenshot would help.
  4. Generally, you shouldn’t post things of this nature in this forum, instead you should do it in the relevant support forum. For example, your original post could go into Other Software, and this one if started on its own could go in Basics and Interface.

We aren’t ‘dropping support’ but it takes awhile for new yafray builds with the same compiler version to come around.

LetterRip

I did a google of Blender internal versus Yafray -hence i deleted my statement
for anyone else the link i read of the differences was here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72522
As for Blender freaking out - I tried to get a screne shot of it - it didn’t come out as well nor did my screen shot of the render for some reason…???
lower panel - while in shader - materials then particles
I don’t know exactly what triggered it but all the little panels - went micro mini - like in super high rez - could barely read them -
they jus jumbled up - started seperating if i moved one and when i did move one all then would crawl up under the main panel header about half way - ie: little micro panel half way exposed from under the header panel of the lower main panel.
i could only get them back by selecting over and over Panel view - horizontal.
then they would re-line up - if i clicked on one for changing a setting - they would all crawl back up under the header again.
lol - was interesting to say the least. then finally blender crashed.

Thanks for the reply

I did a google of the differences with Blender internal versus Yafray - hence i edited my post, Here is the link incase anyone else is interested:

As far as Blender Freaking out - i could attempt to recreate the issue but really i don’t know what triggered it.

I try to give a better explaination -

Lower panel - Shader - Materials or any aftere it started.

Little panels inside main lower panel for settings - all of sudden went micro - super high rezolution making them mini - micro panels -

• they became all jumbled up and separated if i tried to move them.

i could barely read them - … they were cute but - little micro panels…

they would all go up under the main lower panel header - where you would select which panel you want - or shader or what ever. ( sorry I not familiar enough to now exact names of each of the areas)

ie: the little micro panels for settings would be partially exposed about half way from under the main lower panel viewing area header.

The only way i could get them back was to click Panel view -> Horizontal

then they would line up again fully exposed in main panel viewing area.

Click a setting on one or try to move them - they’d go back up under the main panel header again. so i’d click Panel view - horizontal again.

lol - was interesting… lasted for about 15 minutes before Blender crashed and all was lost… sigh… lol
the loss didn’t matter noting improtant - i was just playing around with a simple render to as stated, re-familiarize myself with the new version.

chase

I keep trying to reply but… it doesn’t take - i’l try again

I did a google for the differences of Blender versus yafray - hence my final edit of the above post. here is the link incase anyone else is interested:

as far as Blender freaking out -

all the setting panels in the lower main panel viewing area suddenly went micro mini - jumbled up - and seperated if i tried to move them.

they would be half way exposed from up under the lower panel main viewing area header - the bar that is at the top of the lower main panel.

and they were all micro mini - high rez - i could barely read them.

the only way i could get them to come back into the lowere panel main viewing area was to hit Panel view - Horizontal.

they kept going under the header if i tried to move them back in to postion and arrange them

this went on for about 15 minutes before Blender crashed. and all was lost… lol
was interesting to say the least…

i didn’t get a screen shot but could try to re-create it - i don’t know what triggered it though.

chase

I keep trying to reply but… it doesn’t take - i’l try again

I did a google for the differences of Blender versus yafray - hence my final edit of the above post. here is the link incase anyone else is interested:

as far as Blender freaking out -

all the setting panels in the lower main panel viewing area suddenly went micro mini - jumbled up - and seperated if i tried to move them.

they would be half way exposed from up under the lower panel main viewing area header - the bar that is at the top of the lower main panel.

and they were all micro mini - high rez - i could barely read them.

the only way i could get them to come back into the lowere panel main viewing area was to hit Panel view - horizontal.

they kept going under the header if i tried to move them back in to postion and arrange them

this went on for about 15 minutes before Blender crashed. and all was lost

i didn’t get a sreen shot but could try to re-create it - i don’t know what triggered it though.
chase

Oops, I guess I misunderstood a Sunday Meeting or something. It sounded as though you were dropping it after the Blender 2.46 release (2.46/2.47).

Thanx all for the help…

I did a google for Yafray versus Blender internal render engine and it pulled up some very intresting reads about the differences. Including a couple here at Blender Artists. Intended uses - expected outcome etc etc.

As was suggested in one of these reads it would really be nice to have all in one place a shoot-out of the render engines such as Renderman - Indego - yafray - Blender internal - Aqsis - Pixie etec etc etc. comparisions of each via render - main and suggested uses render time comparisions with finals compared and so on.

Just finding out that the Blender internal was suggested for use or prefered for animation rather than Yafray and the reasons why - was enlighting - whether i’ll take that advice - who knows, but it was interesting to hear the reason and hear the differences and suggested uses.

Thanxs egan for responding to my pm

• and the tip about adding links to my posts for now, which was preventing me from posting.

I’ll try to re-create the lower panel going into micro mini panels and seperating and hiding as they did - and get a screen shot… but i don’t know as of yet what triggered it or caused it to continually hide the little setting palletes.

thanx again all
chase

Don’t forget Yafaray is available. There hasn’t been an official release yet but it is highly usable.

You can get it here.

What is yaf(a)ray?
What’s the difference with YafRay?

I looked into this a few days ago. The (a) in Yaf(a)ray means ‘active’ , as in it’s a rewrite of Yafray that is being actively worked on. The last version of yafray (0.0.9) had development stopped about two years ago.

So basically Yaf(a)ray is more advanced than Yafray but works a bit differently in Blender (yaf(a)ray specific shaders are used etc.). If you want to try it out go to www.yafray.org, go to the forums and look in the yaf(a)ray subforum. You’ll find links to yaf(a)ray and a link to a specific build of blender2.47 that has been altered to use yaf(a)ray instead of yafray.

The (a) in Yaf(a)ray means ‘active
The (a) means ‘abandoned’ I think, yet another free abandoned raytracer (like so many others) although in this case at the moment it has not become true. That’s why Lynx say somewhere in the yafray site:

Speaking of obscurity, if you asked what the additional “a” in Yaf(a)Ray means, i don’t want to speak it out too loud, let’s just hope it does not become reality, okay?