Blender 2.4x GUI - Dead Idea

Whatever you want endi. :wink:

btw Prince, please don’t say “I took it upon myself to redesign the new Blender 2.4x Series Graphic User Interface”, or “Blender’s new look”.

It’s sounds like you’re saying you did actually remake the interface and it’s the one we’ll be downloading come the new release.

Please be careful how you say things, example, “I’ve proposed my own version of the Blender GUI”. Instead of “I took it upon myself to redesign the new Blender 2.4x Series Graphic User Interface”.

And, “My design”, instead of “Blender’s new look”.

p.s. Have you thought about how your proposed design will appear in 800x600 resolutions?

Wow, I didn’t know that about maya’s icons… That’s actually logical…

Do you think that it is a logical progression to transform many of blender’s text-based buttons to icon buttons? i.e in the edit mesh panel

BTW: As for customizable menus, see matt ebb’s ( http://www.mke3.net/ ) post - This sort of thing would be a real time saver if it matures.

true and not so true - a design is not a development it is just an idea that is well thought out and displayed - these are merely screenshots of several different things - both a real blender gui and some photo editing to get some new functions and show what I was trying to explain. But just to please anyone who expresses the same idea, i will change it to “my proposal for Blender 2.4x series GUI” however since it sounds like this won’t be used at all - for future gui’s even! so there isn’t much point in continuing the thread…

as far as the 800x600 - yes i already thought about it and if you read the details post then you would have noticed i mentioned the hover feature for displaying “off screen” content - the tabs shrink and so those won’t ever be “off screen” - doesn’t matter - it isn’t happening!

the administrators can just go ahead an delete the entire thread as it will innevetiably become a spamming and flaming grounds (as endie has alreadys started…) - thanks to anyone interested in it and to the comment on the other builds - sorry, didn’t know the developers had already started or else I would have followed the guidelines proposed in that wiki.

I would like to still have certain features developed, but i’ll take it up on blender.org!

sorry,

daniel

endi, don’t imitate Kansas. What are you so grouchy about, anyway?

Prince - i think you raised some interesting points, i’m surprised by the reactionary response.

Has endi become a pillhead since I was last regular round these parts?

That official 2.4 shot looks fantastic. When the panels first came in they did feel clumsy cos the button arrangement didn’t sensibly map. But hey.

I’m currently trying to get my “Illustrator with a Blender-like UI” thing off the ground (born of a long term frustration with 90% of 2D vector apps, and my getting better at Java thanks to my work) but at this rate I’m never going to touch it. All I have is a collection of splitpanels and buttons . . .

I really like this, nice way of showing the lamps, camera, and deleted the object points and replaced with sort of empties (x,y,z axises) I really like that one. Isn’t it from Tupohuu3? Gehehe, I love that GUI and the way you see the objects and such, soo clean, fresh, open, graphical great, smooth to work with. :stuck_out_tongue:

the new interface (not princes one but the real one)

i seriously don’t like the white text on the darker background in the center of the other boxes. i know its there to define a tick box, but IMO its been done very unergonomically (in terms of fast visual recognition)

you need to flip your eyes around, it makes it very hard to read.

Ugggg.

other than that i like it very much.

Alltaken

Yes, the colour theme is still at quite an early revision. Not so good for PR purposes, since it’s one of the first things people see in screenshots or when they start tuhopuu, but at the moment, the fundamental issues of the panel layout are being worked on. This is the right way to go since that will change the shapes, distributions of light and dark, space, etc. and what theme may have worked well in the older layout may not work well with a newer one.

I don’t know if you could call it “90% done” or not. Surely, an enormous of work has been done so far, but there’s still a bit left to go. At least my own personal todo includes these things. There still needs to be a lot more written on the wiki, to better explain the thought processes, analysis and justification of how and why things have been changed and improved before talking about moving things to bf-blender.

I should also note, if you’re curious about what’s there so far, go and download a tuhopuu3 testing build from the blender.org forums. At least in the buttons themselves there’s a lot more functionality under the covers, like tabbing between text/number fields, text selection in text/number fields, and a few others.

broken, i am pretty interested in the ergonomics and workflow aspect of blender interface (since its in my field of study as an industrial designer)

i will have a good look at the blender interface after my semester is finsihed, and will give you my ergonomic study/ crit/ possible ideas on certain elements of it.

i know you are already graduated from a VCD course, so probably know more than i do, but i hope i would be able to give some feedback and ideas you might not have considered. if nothing else i will be able to put some of the things i have been taught to task and get some eperience of my own :D.

i would of course be critiquing your work with “bloody long” pages of feedback for your to mull over :smiley: :smiley:

i had a few concets earlier this year for blender things which could be very work flow advantageous. so i will try to document them. then you can understand the jist of some of my concpets and perfect them to fit within your GUI.

Alltaken

I don’t like the “ticks” , in/out buttons as per existing layout are easier to click on and less busy.
the colours are horrible but that isn’t an issue as they are user theme changable.
my 2cents.

broken:

I quickly tested the TAB function between number/textfields in Tuhopuu and I noticed that after finishing the last field in particular “panel” it jumps out and gets the mesh into editmode :wink: - purpose or forgotten ?

and on 2nd note, I couldn’t TAB backwards, like TAB+shift… :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello,

I thing that the one of endi is not a way to talk about nothing. At a first look, the proposal of prince is not too bad. Some critics to him smells like a insane blender’s identity freakism.

I like the Blender look and his identity. But there are also a lot of those freaks that designs GUI themes -i say only GUI themes- with a 0% usability. This themes have often a high-tech look and are very spectacular, and very Blender looking. Nobody can read the text or see the icons because there aren’t enough contrast on the needed parts, but a high contrast in uneeded areas (grid or some highlights, buttons, etc.). This is only an example, but is needed to not confuse functionality and some type of beautiness… i think this is the Blender GUI’s basis. In this way i think Prince’s proposal not too bad.

Blender is usable. I thing this is the main target. It has yet a very usable GUI. How to enforce it? Don’t matters if it is too similar to Maya or cinema4D on this or those GUI feature. The GUI developpers team, which Prince must join, loves enough Blender to give it own visual and aesthetic identity. The fanatism, from a newbie with yellow cubes or from a consolidated monkey, is a poor growth tool.

Thanks Prince, for your contribution. However, you should know the steps and the way (including the words) to contribute on a Blender project. I thank you again, you have spent time on this proposal, and this only thing needs all the respects.
Glaurung

well than lets all sit back and watch what the final version will be.

i am not getting rid of the feeling that the new buttons with the text
are more difficult to read but lets see what will come out when it
is in final stage.

to the icon questions:
humans do not read a text letter by letter.
they scan the text for memories letter images they associate a meaning with.
that is the same for icons. once you understood or linked a meaning to it
you do not read the icon you just look for a known pixel information to do a certain task.

everybody who dows icon design will understand that.

I closed this topic because it was already several months old