as Blender 2.5 seems already quite usable for animation I have decided to test it. It is also good way how to develop some animation skills as well as become really familiar with the new system.
My first lesson - bouncing ball (of course :-).
- to tweak curves in F-curves editor is really really fast now
- great is to let an animation to play (Alt-A) and to see in real-time the result of curves tweaking
- Euler rotation is the best and fastest how to animate this, great we have them in 2.5
- animsets feature is also great, everything is more “readable”
- different kinds of handles and interpolations of the same curve is superb
- great tool is also mute (eye icon) for curves which in real-time mutes the curve in 3d view (so in this case you can mute X location and have ball bouncing in place!)
So BIG THANK to Aligorith for this excellent new animation system.
Here is the blend (should work with Blender 2.5 22647 build at least http://rapidshare.com/files/269788531/B25_Anim_1_Simple_SS_Ball.blend
(The ball rig is my own. Really fast to use, at the same time squashing and stretching is independent form ball rotations.).