Blender 2.5 Interface as a firefox plugin ?

I’M NOT A CODER…
…But I prefer to share this idea just in case it’s any good while it’s still time.

Since Blender interface is about to be refactored for 2.5, and since we still don’t have a decent web plugin, could we get both in one go? What if the interface was just some macros separated from functional modules, so that it could be used as a web plugin:
A person having the complete blender install, the plugin from the web browser could just access them. wouldn’t that make a more maintainable and lightweighted plugin, besides creating some community sinergy?

A web interface would be GREAT !!!

Okay, we are at least two! :slight_smile:

I dont see the point technically or from user point of view of blending within your browser.
BUT… your idea opens up something else. A.blend viewer in which one could view mesh,nurb objects within their browser. At the moment the two technologies, 3dxml and some other one after that, have failed misserably! due to the fact no one really used them enough. But now imagine model repositories utilizing an object veiwer allowing you to browse the blend structure an view objects within the file in 3d detail and glory!

That’s part of what I meant: you probably know that Blender has a game engine. It allows one to switch a blend file to play mode (maybe you saw these demo files where the camera travels through an office, up some stairs…) This, the Game engine can do… Offline.
That’s why somebody once created a blender web plugin, last maintained for Blender 2.42 if I remember well. it allowed checking turnarounds from a web browser and more.
Yet what I’m talking about is wider and might be wider than what I’m talking about… :slight_smile:
All functionality of Blender engine could be called without being built into the plugin since it would only have the interface layer.

Well, putting the entire blender inside a web browser is an easy task. The challenge arises when you have to deal with security.

As .blend files allow Python Scripting these scripts must run inside a sandbox so the plugin can be guaranteed to be safe. Among other things, a sandbox prohibits the built in script to read the hard drive which in turn prohibits the script to include external scripts.

You take that out and you have a major security breach that is so easily exploited I don’t think anyone should risk.

Asking the user if he wants to view the file contents so the sandbox is disabled for some files isn’t that good either. Someone could easily upload an exploit to a well known model database site and… well… disaster!

BUT, an embed plugin that allows you to change the file stored into a web server could be fantastic! But IMHO that shouldn’t be Blender’s goal! Maybe a Mozilla plugin… but not the main package - and doing so, once you got a working web plugin and a working constructor interface is quite straightforward.

And there is also another problem: each browser window is another browser instance, and right now my only firefox window is using more than 50mb… and I just spanned a blender session… it uses only 11mb… :confused:

Of course when you actually get something in your blender workspace the space it uses get bigger (I don’t know how much bigger though). But I don’t think the amount of memory required to say “hello” to blender to be increased by a factor of 5 is something users will like.

BTW: I’m writing a new web plugin for blender for gecko compatible browsers (ie, any mozilla and webkit based browser, including apple’s safari). It should be in alpha stage soon (I can’t tell you how soon yet).

Well, putting the entire blender inside a web browser is an easy task. The challenge arises when you have to deal with security.

As .blend files allow Python Scripting these scripts must run inside a sandbox so the plugin can be guaranteed to be safe. Among other things, a sandbox prohibits the built in script to read the hard drive which in turns prohibits the script to include external files.

You take that out and you have a major security breach that is so easily exploited I don’t think anyone should risk.

Asking the user if he wants to view the file contents so the sandbox is disabled for some files isn’t that good either. Someone could easily upload an exploit to a well known model database site and… well… disaster!

BUT, an embed plugin that allows you to change the file stored into a web server could be fantastic! But IMHO that shouldn’t be Blender’s goal - maybe a Mozilla plugin… not the main package - and doing so, once you got a working web plugin and a working constructor interface implementing this is quite straightforward.

And there is also another problem: each browser window is another browser instance, and right now my only firefox window is using more than 50mb… and I just spanned a blender session… it uses only 11mb… :confused:

Of course when you actually get something in your blender workspace the space it uses get bigger (I don’t know how much bigger though). But I don’t think the amount of memory required to say “hello” to blender to be increased by a factor of 5 is something users will like.

BTW: I’m writing a new web plugin for blender for gecko compatible browsers (ie, any mozilla and webkit based browser, including apple’s safari). It should be in alpha stage soon (I can’t tell you how soon yet).

yeah, I’m currently trying to use the Blender Plug-in in a project, and the fact that its only fully compatible with the 2.42 has cause me quite a few problems. I definitely agree that there should be continued work on it, especially with all the new features the game engine is acquiring.

There has been renewed work on the 3d web plugin. Dunno if it will be a target for Blender 2.5, though.

/Nathan

There has been renewed work on the 3d web plugin. Dunno if it will be a target for Blender 2.5, though.

/Nathan

Do you mean X3D or VRML? If so you are correct. They were idea that were ahead of thier time. And other technologies like flash and whatever secondlife is based on surpassed them.

Maurice the blender web player has been upgrade by Erwin. At least for blender version 2.42.

Now the downside. It only works with Window and Internet Explorer.

checkout:

www.continuousphysics.com