Blender 2.5 Missing/Broken functionality from 2.4x

Hi all, we are trying to get ready for the next release(s), and as part of that we would like to make sure that all functionality we want to restore from the 2.4x series is back in the 2.5 series. Or at least if some functionality is left behind it is a conscious choice and not an ‘oops’.

Please report things that are missing/broken in 2.5 from 2.4x and it if was associated with a hotkey mention the hotkey for clarification (also mention if I forgot to add a specific category). I’ll do a summary in the top of each thread.

INTERFACE GENERAL
missing gestures for grab, scale, rotate

MESH MODELING bevel tool Wkey (likely will not come till BMesh)
selective bevel (likely will not come till BMesh)
Extrude > Individual
Crease Subsurf (Exists but people have difficulty finding it, NKEY panel or Ctrl-E menu)
can’t “copy face selected” ctrl c in edit mode used to bring up a menu of active material, active image, active uv coords etc etc etc…

“bridge faces” (formerly skin faces/edge loops )has recently been removed from trunk…

-Everything about the knife tool is broken except for basic cutting when holding down ‘K’ and the mouse, not even trying to do straight lines work.
Box select with visibility culling off in editmode

Primitive Names! Geometry is added as Mesh, Mesh.001, Mesh.002, etc. In 2.49 they have the name of the primitive, like Sphere, Sphere.001, Circle, Suzanne, etc.

The same rule should be applied to Force Fields too, as they are many now…
NURBS MODELING
METABALL MODELING
SCULPTING Missing partial mesh hiding/revealing[INDENT] hide mesh outside selection - ctrl-shift-lmb dragrect
hide mesh inside selection ctrl-shift-rmb dragrect
reveal all mesh alt-h
Missing Drag texture modes
Show Brush doesn’t work

Missing rotate around last

[/INDENT]MODIFIERS
MULTIRES Can’t apply displacement map to multires modifier
MULTIRES Can’t apply shrinkwrap to multires modifier
MULTIRES Can’t delete lower levels of multires (ie split multires to two stacks, and apply the lower stack)
MULTIRES - reshape modifier does work
MULTIRES - switching between catmull clark and simple blows mesh up
RETOPOLOGIZING
.retopo “paint” modes…
Retopo all
UV UNWRAPPING
Smart Unwrap: “Stretch to bounds” missing

Stitch is broken, pressing ‘V’ does nothing if done correctly (the faces being stitched together share edges with each other on the actual mesh)

two of the uv options have not been brought to 2.5 (clickproject from face… lightmapUVpack) from the “u” unwrap menu in edit mode.
Setting a texture to be an animated one in 2.5 (GLSL mode) and setting the number of tiles to cycle through destroys the UI.

2D PAINTING
3D PAINTING
Right-click color sampling is broken in vertex paint mode, instead it does the same operation it does in object mode

NODE MATERIALS
RIGGING
CONSTRAINTS
SKIN WEIGHTING
ANIMATION
LIGHTING
RENDERING preview rendering (Shift-P)
Motion Blur

Bump/normal maps not visible through transparent ray traced materials. (due to the new derivatives in 2.5, which are not preserved by the ray tracer yet)
border render! It does not even render anything when you press render with border enabled.

BAKING - Baking seems completely broken,occlusion and full render baking don’t work on high res mesh(on 2.49 it worked).
Also normal map baking doesn’t work.
COMPOSITING
in 2.49 when you added a new composite node it would add it where the mouse pointer was when you started the add operation… In 2.50 it will add the new node near/overlapping the last active node instead. To me at least, it was nicer to be able to choose where the node would be created instead of always having to drag it where you want it
NON LINEAR EDITING (SEQUENCER)
seq plugins are unusable because the plugin controls are not available (ie the effect tab in 2.49)
right-click menu
zooming the preview window (with + or -)

audio waveform view for lip synching
GAME ENGINE
Record game engine physics to ipos (I mean f-curves!).
I need my rigid bodies!
Materials and GLSL in general get messed up on some objects from files initially made in older Blender versions, the objects use modifiers and have more than 1 material, this bug was in 2.49 too.

I believe Vitorbalbio has an example file on in a thread page here (post 48)
http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...odifier&page=3
Pack/Unpack functionality for packing/unpacking sounds and textures with the .blend file is missing

SCRIPTING
FILE BROWSING
IMAGE BROWSING
OTHER middle mouse preference
LetterRip

These two have been bugging me for a while:

Mesh modeling: bevel tool
Rendering: 3d view preview rendering

I just did a post in regards to this.

I miss in the preferences being able to choose whether the middle mouse button either pans or rotates the 3D view by default.

Thanks you are asking…
I’m missing Speed control by F-curves for Follow path animation.

MESH MODELING: Extrude > Individual

MESH MODELING: Crease Subsurf

RENDERING: Motion Blur

compositing: in 2.49 when you added a new composite node it would add it where the mouse pointer was when you started the add operation… In 2.50 it will add the new node near/overlapping the last active node instead. To me at least, it was nicer to be able to choose where the node would be created instead of always having to drag it where you want it

VSE: seq plugins are unusable because the plugin controls are not available (ie the effect tab in 2.49)

It’s working already. Press N key and find section Transform.

COMPOSITING–right-click menu

SCULPTING
can’t apply shrinkwrap to multires!

not from 2.49, but from teh sculpting branch… the multiresolution “re-shape” function doesn’t work…

MESH MODELLING
can’t “copy face selected” ctrl c in edit mode used to bring up a menu of active material, active image, active uv coords etc etc etc…

“bridge faces” (formerly skin faces/edge loops )has recently been removed from trunk…

retopo “paint” modes…

sequencer: zooming the preview window (with + or -)

OTHER:
Copy XXX Data from one object to another.
Most of the copying operators seem to be missing, or their names have changed and I can’t find them.

GAME ENGINE:
Record game engine physics to ipos (I mean f-curves!).
I need my rigid bodies!

Kind of trivial but the {shift/ctrl/alt} MMB scroll wheel navigation is opposite from the 2.4 series, up is down, right is left, etc.

OTHER …I suppose.

MESH MODELING:
-Everything about the knife tool is broken except for basic cutting when holding down ‘K’ and the mouse, not even trying to do straight lines work.

GAME ENGINE:
-Materials and GLSL in general get messed up on some objects from files initially made in older Blender versions, the objects use modifiers and have more than 1 material, this bug was in 2.49 too.

I believe Vitorbalbio has an example file on in a thread page here (post 48)
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154440&highlight=modifier&page=3

UV/IMAGE EDITOR:
-Setting a texture to be an animated one in 2.5 (GLSL mode) and setting the number of tiles to cycle through destroys the UI.

baking AO to a UV image

it results in a solid color rather than the expected variation

RENDER
Bump/normal maps not visible through transparent ray traced materials. (due to the new derivatives in 2.5, which are not preserved by the ray tracer yet)

baking ao to a uv image was working a couple of weeks ago, should be working still. was a bit fiddly though

Letterip, MMB preference is deprecated - use keymaps.

Fluid sim baking is still very incomplete.

Stuff’s already in there on a ‘stock’ build but backwards from the 2.4x series, just need to swap the up/down mouse wheel part in the keymap editor to return to the old behavior.

MESH MODELING: I can’t drag/gesture-move with the left mouse button. I’m used to that, and I’ve been unable to figure out how to turn this on in 2.5’s preferences.

I am forced to either hit g, or select-drag with the right button and then hit the left button to ‘approve’ it… (hitting right again of course cancels it). The latter stresses out the hand muscles quite a bit.

In preferences, I can change the Select With option to Left, which makes everything easier to handle and more natural. So I wonder if the developers will do either of the following:

Give us back gesture-move or make Select With “Left” the default.