Blender 2.5 Possible GUI

First post to this forum. First off I have to say that this is just a graphic design I have been working on. This design has been in progress for a week or so now. I am looking for C/C (crits & comments) on it. I am staying with the non-overlaping theme. it is really visually fast. The concept incorporates the idea of a Content Management System (you can see it on the right hand side). The rest of the design lets tabs do the work.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts about this design. more sketch’s will follow. link below…

wow i like it good job!

This is probably one of the most palatable GUI mock ups for Blender I have seen.

I think that the old/tuhopuu (is that the way it is spelled?) sliders are better than the ones you have in you mockup though. Also, it looks like you can assign a texture channel to affect only one variable at a time (col, nor, ref, etc), and it is often useful to have the texture affect multiple things.

Also where are the Physics, Particle, and Scene contexts? Also, I suppose you made the Logic context its own window type (makes sense to me).

Lastly, what happens when you have more screens layouts than the 7 you have there?

Well, at least there’s some thought behind this. Not saying it would be the perfect GUI, or even necessarily more effective than the current one, but there are a lot of really bad mockups out there.
So congrats on using your nogin;) This is not bad.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118467

Lookin’ good!
One crit: The unselected tabs look a little dark and hard to read.

Well, not half bad for a first attempt. Looks a little bit like the After Effects UI (which I really really like).

I think the important thing here is make the UI flexible enough so people can organize and skin their own.

Need a hotkey for cycling through tabs per view pane (I know, that’s a code thing).

Kevin

I really like the tabbed 3D view. That can be really useful. Where are the layers? And what will the IPO and timeslider look like?

Great work so far, looks really potential :slight_smile:

Oh noes. I like the current one better. Icons are a lot better then text in a GUI methinks…

Looks good, realy good, but I like old/current GUI better. :slight_smile:

Nice concept. The thing I don’t like is that with the current screenshot too much information is hidden in different panels. I like to see my diffuse, specular, mirror color on one screen. Same goes with the textures. I like to see the map to settings and the map input settings with one look I don’t want to click around.
I like the idea of a integrated CMS. Going further on that concept I’d love to see a SVN Client integrated into blender that allows you to version your blends automatically.

finally we get layers tabbed nicely. that’s a big one, according to me. i hope we’ll have more control over those layers, selectability, naming, view…the works.

wow, I got none of these replies in my mail box at all :slight_smile: - let me catch up and I will post updates…

Sergeant_Oreo… you posted a link to another forum thread… is there something I am missing… Could you kindly advise… vbmenu_register(“postmenu_1061966”, true);

I’m with devspoon. I think you’re idea is great, but since I can’t quickly see how it will directly speed up my use of blender, I like the old interface better. Maybe its not that, but that all of the buttons in the materials panel stay there, in approximate relation to each other. Don’t be discouraged by me, though. We need all the ideas that we can get to make blender 2.50 awesome.

eagan >
Also where are the Physics, Particle, and Scene contexts? Also, I suppose you made the Logic context its own window type (makes sense to me).
>RL5 …YES they are on the way

Lastly, what happens when you have more screens layouts than the 7 you have there?
>rl5 > they would size or stack like mozilla FF

kevinW>Need a hotkey for cycling through tabs per view pane (I know, that’s a code thing).
>RL5 … AGREED! nice idea

>roger>Where are the layers? And what will the IPO and timeslider look like?
>RL5 …still progress next day or so you should see something

musk>I like the idea of a integrated CMS. Going further on that concept I’d love to see a SVN Client integrated into blender that allows you to version your blends automatically.
>RL5 …Thanks musk I am there too!

Thanks all I will post more l8r

Nice mock up it would be cool to see something similar to this in Blender, Is this something that is been worked by the devs or are these just your own ideas. I love the fact that you have kept the panels non-overlapping and cms is an inspired addition. I would to see what else you can come up with.

Tabs are certainly clearer to a complete beginner on the button window especially!
Can’t see how that’d work with a vertical button bar though…

I’d personally prefer scenes as a pulldown myself.

It’s not clear what the thinking behind the pale grey buttons at the very top of the screen though…Are they the different user layouts? How would they “overflow” (when you have more than can fit across the top of the screen?) Personally I prefer the top bar as it is now.

on the outliner/browser/layers is the idea that the user can put different “tabs” of their choosing into a window? That’d be cool and quicker than the popup, (though not as fast as keyshortcut) but’d probably fight with the tabs you put on the
button context.

By the look of things you’ve not put any widgets in to customise what’s in each window (unless that’s the icon on the corner still being a pop up as now… looks like you removed that functionality which is a big no-no.
You’ve lost the stats from the header bar too. Really need those! it’s great that they’re always therein the present version…

Don’t get the timeline slider, or the content library… Personally I like text interfaces as they’re explicit and you don’t have to decipher whatever was in the icon designers warped head… i like to keep icons to a minimum, but others love them!
HOWEVER I personally can’t stand text written sideways… it always makes me want to rotate my head to read it… (I guess that’s why I hate KDE!)

The content of the button windows seems like a step backwards, seemingly less thought out than the current one (ie could be harder to use) and doesn’t really address the issues (the current design is most clunky when dealing with materials and textures)

On a styling note, the tab edges and shading looks over designed and distracting to me.

Overall then I worry about your design being less flexible than the current one.
I really like the idea of tabbed windows as an option for windows!
Some people like icons, some text, some both!

I hope that the real interface focus’s on increasing/maintaining the flexibility so that it can be icon based or text based, have window tabs or a pulldown!

custom key shortcuts, Pie or Hotbox menus and better integrated scripts are all on the list, add a vertical “header” style and the ability to create completely new window types (lightwave style spreadsheet or external game engine, console window or web browser as examples) and Blender will be much easier for anyone to tailor to what they like…

Just think, rather than mock up your own interface you could just make it yourself! (Silo does this rather well)

Hope that’s constructive!

mike

This looks awesome. The one big thing that blender lacks is a content management system.

When can this be done?

wow :slight_smile: much better than any outer mock-ups iv seen.

I think the layers are better on the hedder, where thay are alredy, and make the buttons window half as tall. also it should be posable to easely get rid of the outlier, I like the 3D view port as big as posable :wink: