Blender 2.5 release?

(zbirdboy) #1

When is there going to be a 2.5 release. ive been searching the web and i cant find it anywhere. I also am wondering what new features or improvements there’s going to be. i heard that maybe there was going to be an upgrade in the way to create and style hair. Is that true? i hope so :smiley:

0 Likes

(Guran) #2

Check out http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/changes-since-244/ at the bottom of the page… Probaly the date october/november 2007 ain’t that realistic.
There is probaly more things that will be included, but someone else will have to confirm that.

Really looking forward to 2.50 myself. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Falgor) #3

I’d say next year. A new particle system by Jahka (Janne Karhu) will be in the 2.5 release. It is already in the a SVN build.
It’s A LOT better for making hair, and everything. I also believe soft raytracing (with QCM sampling) will be in, along with glossy reflections and refraction by broken. My 1000th post! Let us rejoice, for I am a centurian now.

0 Likes

(egan) #4

There may actually be a 2.46 release with all the GSoC projects, Jakha’s particles, Elubie’s image browser, Broken’s soft shadows, glossy raytracing, and QMC (and all the other features) before the actual event refactor of 2.50.

0 Likes

(IamInnocent) #5

Yay Falgor!

I still hope for a 2.46 some time around Christmas. The particles are almost ready and much other stuff while the event system refactor, which is determinant for a jump to the 2.5x series won’t be ready for this year I feel.
Jean

0 Likes

(zbirdboy) #6

yay:D i can’t wait to check out all those improvements, even though im not sure what all of them will let me do. if anyone can explain them, id appreciate that. anyway, ill look foward to 2.46 :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(LetterRip) #7

At this point it sounds like another release before 2.50 is unlikely. Also 2.50 probably won’t happen till after the final development stuff is due for Peach which means February or later.

LetterRip

0 Likes

(Meta-Androcto) #8

any ideas on when the project peach cvs build will appear?
I look forward to the addition & grouping of features more than an actual new release.
m.a.

0 Likes

(IamInnocent) #9

That is just bad, sorry to say that. The last two releases seemed to take forever and the process felt arduous. By comparison the development of new features is going stronger than ever: I guess that that’s where the motivation is. I wonder if the relative absence of Ton on the development front to coordinate things and, let’s be honest, to take care of more clerical tasks like debugging and pushing for releases to be ready is not what’s making the difference? Can’t wait till he finds a producer and he gets more time for development (and vacations likely…)

0 Likes

(LetterRip) #10

That is just bad, sorry to say that. The last two releases seemed to take forever and the process felt arduous. By comparison the development of new features is going stronger than ever: I guess that that’s where the motivation is. I wonder if the relative absence of Ton on the development front to coordinate things and, let’s be honest, to take care of more clerical tasks like debugging and pushing for releases to be ready is not what’s making the difference? Can’t wait till he finds a producer and he gets more time for development (and vacations likely…)

I managed a significant release during Orange with Ton essentially completely absent. I’ve also volunteered to do one during Peach as well if the rest of the team wants to do one. There are two fairly good reasons not to though

1. The interface refactor isn’t yet begun and won’t be finished till probably January at the soonest. The refactor is something that users outside of Blender have been patiently waiting for a long time, and it has been pushed back to the next release for quite a few releases. Many of the core devs feel we should just bite the bullet, and not do a release until it is in. It is a sentiment I’m inclined to agree with.

2. Due to the Peach development schedule many of our core coders will be tied up trying to make sure everything for Peach goes well. During Orange it was primarily Ton who was absent - for Peach it will be Brecht and Ideasman, as well and probably a fair chunk of the rest of the core coders.

LetterRip

0 Likes

(IamInnocent) #11

Thanks LetterRip.

Of course I didn’t imply that you or another but Ton couldn’t coordinate a release. You should know by now the outmost respect in which I hold your vast contribution to Blender; yet I’ll reiterate it for everyone to be aware of that much.

I also know that having so many great features in SVN but no official, stable, compatibility proof release is akin to having your girlfriend who made herself all pretty and desirable but who is held talking to her mother on the phone… for six months!
Well, maybe not quite that bad. LOL

Thanks in any case.

Jean

0 Likes

(CatsWithMatches) #12

I’d also like to extend a thank you for at least letting us know what’s going on, and what the devs are currently doing/thinking. Many times there are perfectly good reasons not to release something (and I agree on both of your points), and it helps us rest easier, so to speak, to at least know what’s up.

0 Likes

(Ace Dragon) #13

With the GSoC projects, Broken’s work, Jahka’s particles, Wizard’s tiles(?) AND the peach improvements and event recode the 2.5 release will be huge. I know project Orange brought hair and other major improvements to Blender, Peach may bring even more major improvements then Orange.

If micropolygons and bmesh make it in then 2.5 will be the biggest release ever.:spin::eek:

EDIT: I noticed Mr. Ton will be going back to developing Blender again, but then I think of him to be working on Peach improvements or the event recode.

0 Likes

(IanC) #14

I recall when 2.50 was slated to have raytracing.

The development of Blender has been just incredible since we bought it from NaN. Thanks go out to the devs, testers, co-ordinators and idea proposers :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Ace Dragon) #15

You serious about that IanC.

If features slated for future versions came sooner then expected then it may happen again. But raytracing for 2.50, instead it came early in the 2.30 series.

0 Likes

(IanC) #16

You serious about that IanC.

Yup. Back around 2.2, just as 2.25/6 was released I think. There wasn’t a raytracer and it was planned for version 2.5.

To be fair to the team back then, it’s taken a lot longer than 2.5 would have been out, based on their numbering system. Even so, I still think it’s cool.

0 Likes

(kbot) #17

I’ve always wanted to do lots of things with ‘hair’ so I guess I wait a 'lil longer!

0 Likes