Blender 2.5 Renderman exporter

Man, I have tried your exporter… Amazing :slight_smile: keep it

The update looks good but I still have trouble with the outputs. Default RIB path does not work and if I set it to c: emp\output, it prints:

Failed to find “C”
Failed to find “/temp/output\Beauty0001.rib”

As though the colon is problematic. I’ve tried using slahes tha other way and nesting it in “” but nothing works.

~Glenn

did you create the “/temp/output” ?? because the subfolder “output” is automatically created.
so is nothing working for you ? does it find the shader directory? i mean if you set your envrionment variable to “DELIGHT” (i think you use 3delight) and set the other settings accordingly and then hit the refresh button next to the shader paths list in the renderer settings or next to the shader selection filed in the material settings. is there any shader to chose from in the shader selection field ?

i will try to get a windows machine where i can test and fix that.

@pavlik thank you. glad it works for you. which os do you use? and is shadow map generation working for you? with more than one shadow map?
here i got a strange bug and dont know how to solve it where only the last pass + beauty pass is saved to a file. it used to work as expected but doesnt anymore and i dont know what ive changed thats causing that o.O

I have been testing it with your PIXIE preset (using pixie :slight_smile: ) and it finds everything including shaders. If I check "use default RIB path, I get much the same…

Failed to find “c”
Failed to find “\docume~1\gmelen~1\locals~1 emp\output\Beauty0001.rib”

Glenn

I’m still coming to grips with 2.5 in general, but when im comfortable with default blender, i will test the crap out of this awesome looking script! :slight_smile:

I have a question. I know that the blender render api doesnt currently support hair export, do you know if thats planned to be supported, and if so, would you be able to add hair primitives and particles to your script?

Thanks for all of your efforts! Blender + renderman could be a magic combination.

I am on Windows 7 Pro. Shadowing mapping doesn’t work for me at all.

I find out that exporter reset scale of an object to 1.0. I add a Plane to the scene, make its scale 3.0 and when I render the scene the plane is back at 1.0.To avoid this I always have to apply scales.

Similiar thing happened to me with lights when Pixie tries to render it. The light is slighty shifted…
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3443/picjhk.jpg

http://www.blendertorenderman.org/

It seems like things are in progress. I can’t help thinking that, all these coders could join their efforts.
Personnaly I prefer a simple exporter which allow me to render only with opensource renderman renderers (pixie and aqsis), and use it for organics (displace, SSS, particles etc) No technical things.
BTW, I still have problem to render with your exporter Frigge!!! I use winows xp,

I cant figure out how to specify a path to the executable on OS X with Aqsis. Anyone know how to do this?

There has been lots of python API changes inbetween, the script does not work with the latest blender builds anymore :confused:

hi
sorry for the delayed reply. i feld i needed a little break. so i did a few other things including putting together a little blog/portfolio.
www.frg-vfx.com - its still in development and the content is still a bit lean.

I’m already working on the script again and made a few major changes that hopefully made it more flexible, yet easy to use and purged some bugs including the show stopper on windows machines.

I’m planning to release the new version on my page with a little video tutorial explaining the things ive added/changed.

@pixelznbits you do not need to specify the full path anymore. the script just assumes that the executables are in path. that should always be the case. also ive removed the “use env” checkbox and all that path stuff but added the possibility to directly write “$ENVNAME/shaders” if you want to specify the shaders path for example.

@pavlik scale for lamps is not exported as i thought that wouldnt be that important but for objects it is exported so dont know how that could happen. Anyway will change the transform code as it is pretty ugly. that will hopefully solve that issue.

@fahr as matt ebb managed to export hair particles in his script it already seems to be possible. particles themselves should be easy and thats on my todo list including instances.

This is good news, your work is much appreciated! I like the speed modelling on your website, nice stuff!

uploaded the new version to my homepage with a little post about it listing the features that are already working(at least i hope so :))
lots of things still to do but you can already see in which direction the script is evolving.
when you try it, make shure that your beauty pass got at least one display assigned with a file, tiff or openexr displaydriver and rgb as output value. if thats not working open the created rib file and delete the “samples” stuff in the display statement. thats the wrong parameter name though i’m shure you can pass the samples directly in the display statement. so thats a known bug.
and add another display with a framebuffer output to use your renderman internal framebuffer as the code to show it in blenders render result in the image editor is very hackish. I’m still not shure how to implement the AOV stuff as blender has a fixed list of render passes. the only thing i could do is either always use layered EXRs as output but i dont know if pixie supports this and if so the implementions still differ in the different renderman renderers (at least i think so) or add every display as a render layer. the third idea i got is to just put a checkbox into the display, called “send to Render Result” which, when checked, unchecks itself on all other displays, making it possible to only send one output to the render result. the other images could still be loaded manualy in the compositing editor. Tell me what you think about that and if you’ve got another idea.
for the options and attributes read the manual of your renderman compliant engine.
hope it works
cheers

Updates are on the way!

Ive uploaded a small video previewing the new cleaned UI and some of its new features.
This is what i wrote on the vimeo site:

This is a small video i made to show and explain the UI of my Renderman Integration in its current state.
The video basically shows:
-How to add your own Attributes/Options/Hiders, how to group them and how to access them in the UI.
-How to write and add custom outputs to your shaders and access them in the UI.
-how to add Displays to output images and the settings available for them(subject to change, plan to add custom options for them as well to access for example PRmans “merge” option)
-all the settings available by now.(everything thats listed in the Renderman Settings Panel is saved in a preset. so now you can make all your fancy options, attributes, hiders, shader paths etc. of your favorite renderman compliant engine available in the UI.)

note that this is just some kind of a sneek peek. some things are broken due to changes in the code. I will work on that in the next few days and will upload a detailed tutorial (with voice) after that explaining everything a bit better including rendering and sending your pictures to blenders compositor.

I didnt update the script on my site as quite a few things are broken. but i think by next week you should have something to play with. By then i will also have shown you more details about the workflow i had in mind with this attributes stuff.

http://vimeo.com/14274735 - video is up but needs to be converted. will work in about an hour i hope

updated the script. things are shaping.

environment maps and point light shadow maps are finaly working.

you can now save presets for your attributes and choose which attributes are to be saved in the preset. for reusing combinations of attribute settings for different objects/scenes/passes. I’ve already made a few example presets for Pixie just to give you a hint on what it could be useful for.

and ive disabled the Load image into RenderResult function as it just causes trouble and is quite useless.
for now add a new display to output your image to a file. but when you do output your image as a file, it is automatically loaded into blender as an image(after the rendering completed). so its still quite easy and fast to composite in blender.

didn’t make a tutorial although i’ve promised to do so. sorry for that but wanted to wait until i’ve completed instancing, motion blur and particles. and also wanted to test it in different situations.
Don’t want to deal or work around lots of bugs when recording the tutorial.
But its already outputting what you’d expect it to so its already a lot more solid then it used to be.

if you think it could already be useful in some situations and want to know more about how to use it feel free to ask me about the tutorial and I’ll record one asap.
cheers

http://www.frg-vfx.com/wp-content/blender_renderman/blender_renderman.zip

fixed a few bugs that made some things stop working.

update: instancing, arealights and textures are working. and a lot more. still fixing some bugs and getting particles/-instances to work. after that i’ll make a screencast.

http://www.frg-vfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Beauty_rgba0001.jpeg

btw: is there still someone interested in my script? seems like i’m the only one posting in this thread …

I am! I am busy with rigging at the moment, however i still do think i want to use renderman. Thanks for your hard work! Where can i get the latest script from? Does it work with the latest svn?

edit: found the link on your website, thanks!

hi frigge,
you can consider me still very interested :slight_smile:
just hadn’t had much time lately.

Oh yes Frigge I am very very interested :slight_smile:

Keep up the work! The more options the better and yours seems to work well, though I have not had a chance to use it, I would have to dismantle my pipeline that I spent the past year smoothing out… or wait a little longer and upgrade the entire pipeline… anyways

Your efforts are not forgotten!!! :smiley:

Sorry for my dumb question, but what are the ups and downs of using Renderman in place of Blender Internal?
I know that Renderman shaders must be programmed manually… is it true? Is it worth the hassle?