Blender 2.58 menu text garbled: LLooookkss lliikkee tthhiiss

I posted this at the blender.org developer forums, and I looked for a bug report, but I don’t really know what’s wrong:

I just installed Blender 2.58 on an AMD 64 computer running Ubuntu Studio 11.04 “Natty Narwhal”, using instructions here:

http://www.linuxnov.com/install-blender-2-58-stable-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-ppa/
Which uses this package repository: ppa:cheleb/blender-svn/ubuntu
The splash screen identifies it as version 2.5.8.1 (bear in mind, I actually see “22558811”). Below that, it says what looks like it would decode as “IT 38161” – although, curiously, “IT” isn’t doubled – maybe it’s really an icon or something.

The characters are actually uneven and they might even be in two slightly different fonts. As defaulted, the text looks like unrecognizable gibberish, but I went to File->User Preferences->System, unchecked “Anti-Aliasing” and set the DPI up to 128. It was at that point that I could see the doubled characters.

The screen is 1920x1200, BTW, if that matters. I believe the video hardware is a Radeon 9250 card (although the computer is new to me, it’s somewhat older hardware).

I could probably upload a screencap if the forum permits that.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is it a GL bug or something? Is there a way to change the menu font, or apply some other kind of workaround?

The graphic elements dispay just fine – I can easily manipulate the 3D window, etc. In fact, it’s kind of exciting to see 2.58 now, but this font problem makes it very very hard to use.

TIA for any suggestions.

Okay. Well I’ve at least learned that it isn’t just a problem in Blender. Tux Racer has the same thing. It must be a GL driver bug of some kind. I’ll investigate that.

I could still use a clue if anyone’s got one, though. :slight_smile:

I´d go for the usual suspects…

ATI Card + Anti Aliasing (GL Driver AA, not Blenders)
Font AA Sampling (Cleartype)
Compiz