Blender 2.5x - OpenGL Rendering and Antialiasing

I think this new Feature is really great, since it is very fast and good enough for many things. But now i stumbled upon some strange behavior. The antialiasing setting don’t work for OpenGL rendering. I always get this ugly looking raw pixels.

I tried to make a workaround in rendering the picture at an much higher resolution and then scale it back down to the original Size. But it just won’t work, since the maximum size of this images is limited internally by the graphic cards. So i can at max render it at double resolution, giving me very poor 2x2 antialising, while the graphicscard even support 16x16

do you mean antialiasing in the 3d viewport , how do you do that ?

thanx !

He means antialiasing in the render, smoothing out the edges in the render at a set ratio. In previous versions the buttons 5, 8, 11, 16, OSA were used for this.

I currently have 2.49b, so I’m afraid I can not help you with this.

I just told my Graphicsdriver to ignore/override the application settings for antialiasing. It works like a charm inside the 3D-Viewport, but it is completly ignored if i render an image with OpenGL/GLSL. Is this maybe a bug of my graphic card or is this intentional (don’t think so)?

The OGL end of 2.5x is still being developed, I think, so you may have to wait until it’s fully implemented.

It does work in 2.49b (at least with my Nvidia card), so if you want to use OGL rendering for now, try using that version.

And thanks for the post – I hadn’t set my card for hardware optimization, didn’t realize what a large diff it makes. Now I’m all set!

Currently i used both versions of blender, but if i tried to render in blender 2.49b there was no option to disable the non visible things (like empties) and i had no control over the image size. Or at least it was impossible to make it bigger then screensize. Hopefully this will be implemented very soon. I have great plans for this feature :wink:

I usually just hide things I don’t want to render by clicking the little eye icon on the Outliner (when the eye’s “closed” the object is hidden in the UI) – anything thus hidden won’t show in the OpenGL render.

TIP: You can get rid of object center dots (pain in the rear!) by selecting a light just before rendering, since they don’t render at all.

And, for renders larger than screen rez, just use OpenGL render through the Active Camera in a 3D Window – gives the same size image (whatever is set in the Render specs) as a full render but as you say, much faster but with fewer bells & whistles, of course. I usually do this with what I call “playblast” animation tests, since it’s so fast, even with subsurf enabled.

I have a problem with this in two different computers. I have two computers that are powerful enough to use antialiasing in the display (while editing with Open GL) with Blender but it only works with Blender 2.49b in one of them and not with any Blender 2.5x (including the latest 2.56 beta).

I have an i7 2.66 Ghz PC that has two Evga 260GTX cards in SLI and another PC With an Athlon II X4 2.80 Ghz that uses a HIS (Ati based) 4670 graphic card and in both I can force the antialiasing on and with very good performance but…

I can force the antialiasing and have no problems (so far) with Blender 2.49b in the Athlon II based PC with the ATI chip card, in the i7 based PC with Nvidia chip cards I get a few errors of the display going black when I scroll the cursor above some buttons and then going back to normal when I move the cursor over the 3D view area. Also when I do this with any of the newer Blenders (2.5x) the selection goes out of whack, I mean that if I get into segment selection mode (in edit mode of course) for example and I try to select a segment it selects the wrong one, it just selects another segment from the object randomly.

The same thing happens with vertex select mode or face select mode, it just selects the wrong one randomly, I click in one segment and somewhere (anywhere) in the object another segment gets selected. Is this a Blender 2.5x bug? Cause it looks like that to me but that could depend on the point view.

I mean these are two completely different PCs with different operating systems. The i7 PC has Vista 64 Bit Ultimate and the Athlon II PC has Win XP Pro 32 Bit and both of them show this behavior with Blender 2.5x.

This is a pity cause like I said both are powerful enough. I loaded a scene with around 325,000 faces and neither PC shows the slightest hint of slowing down yet. The displays stay completely smooth and fast updating and I’m setting the antialiasing to 16Q in the i7 and to 8x in the Athlon II PC, again this is a pity cause I have learned how to use 2.5x already and it’s stable enough for me (I just save a little bit more often just in case) but I’m working with it just fine.

Does anybody knows anything about this? If this is going to get corrected or there is any plan to fix this? I mean do you think that the developers have in mind that some people are starting to use antialiasing while editing, if this is supposed to work normally or is this a stretch of sorts?

I mean, I think we are in a time were 3D application users (including 3D modeling, 3D CAD and other 3D applications) are starting to edit like this which I think is somewhat analogous to the time when antialiasing was started to be used in 2D illustration programs which is the defacto standard today.

Today, editing with antialiasing (not just rendering with it when you save as a bitmap, png, etc.) in programs like Illustrator, CorelDraw, SerifDraw Plus, Inkscape and the like is the standard (and notice that Acrobat Reader has had antialiasing for a long, long time in the fonts which are vector based and in any 2D vector artwork in the documents) and I have noticed that in other 3D modeling, 3D CAD and other 3D programs there is a move toward using antialiasing in the display while editing at the moment.

I think that this will become soon the standard way of editing in 3D. It didn’t happen sooner because in 3D much more performance was needed than what was needed to edit with antialiasing in 2D but computers are starting to have enough performance now to do it in 3D too.

I’m aware that the Blender site recommends people to turn antialiasing off when using Blender precisely because of these issues but I’m also aware that some people are using it like that already from what I read and I’m also aware of this new trend in the industry.

That is why I ask if anybody knows if the Blender developers are aware of this trend and if Blender is supposed to be able to do this too as it is starting to be used in other applications. I would like to know if there is any plan from the Blender developers to embrace this trend and allow antialiasing to be used in the 3D viewports and in the Open GL renders as it is starting to be used in other places in the industry.

It simply would be terrific to have this capability in the new Blender cause it makes pre-visualization while editing so much better and it would also be great if it could be done in Open GL renders for pre-visualizations of animations, it would simply be great.