Blender 2.63 and PSD Files

I use PSD files for textures all the time because I can edit them on the fly. I am currently creating a UV map for my character, but I cannot configure my texture with it because I have to save all of my textures as PNG files before I use them as textures. In Blender 2.62, I culd use PSD files as textures, but in 2.63 i cannot. I have updated Quicktime like the internet said, but it still does not work. PSD files work on my laptop, though. I just re-installed Blender and it still doesn’t work. I use Blender 2.49b sometimes, and PSD files always work in there… Could anyone help me?

Thanks!

-Rioforce

PC Stats:
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Quicktime 7.7.2
Blender 2.63a 32 Bit

You can also use TIFF files for textures in Blender. TIFF format supports multiple layers, so you don’t have to remember to convert every time you make a change. Just save (with layers still intact) and reload in Blender.

Just make sure you check ‘Save Transparency’ in the TIFF dialog if you actually have transparent areas in the image. All other options in the save dialog can be left at default values.

Actually, I’d like to use PSD files. So I’d like to have a fix for this. You see, I work from a Dropbox, so space is valuable. And PSD files are smaller and I use them alot more. I have a whole collection of PSD files and i do not what to have to convert them all to TIFF.

Good luck.

Good luck? Does anyone else have this glitch or is it just me? My laptop supports PSD files and it has the same stats as my desktop.

Win 7 64 bit
Blender 2.63a 32 bit.

EDIT: Never mind. I thought it did but i was totally wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

The devs have removed PSD (and GIF) along the Quicktime support starting from Blender 2.58 :

And it has been done -for Windows OS only- Linux and Mac can always open those files.

So the only solutions i can see is to either download Blender 2.57 :
http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.57/

Or to download an image editing program if you don’t have one that can load PSD files and save them in a format Blender support on Windows OS.
the free programs Gimp natively and Paint.NET (with a plugin) can do that by example.

Gimp has a batch process function ( in Filter -> Batch Process) that allow to convert (and more) bunch of files into another format instead of doing them one by one.

Oh? Is there a way I can re-insert the old code into the new Blender? Plus, why does it work on my Laptop? All I did was update Quicktime and PSD files worked…
I have Photostop Elements 8 on each computer too…

:spin:

Wait a minute… If they removed the PSD file support in Windows, but it still works on Linux, what is it using on Linux? Why can’t I use that in the Windows build? Plus, I have been saying this whole time, my laptop with the same stats (Win 7, Blender 2.63, Quicktime same version), PSDs WORK. Why and How?

Okay, I’ve changed my stance on this issue, so I’m bumping the thread. A generous friend gave me her spare license for the Adobe Master Collection and, well, it changed my point of view on a lot of things.

So, any developers out there interested in taking on the task of bringing Photoshop .PSD format back to Blender for Windows? The code is available in the 2.57 version and, if nothing else, it could serve as a guide for writing a plugin, n’est pas?

For those who want a pipeline from Blender to Premiere Pro, and not just Photoshop and After Effects, PSD support would be very handy. Originally, as I stated above, I was using TIFF sequences, but Premiere Pro CS5.5 doesn’t like Blender’s flavour of TIFF. Even though a TIFF sequence can be rendered out in 8-bit colour, something demanded by Premiere Pro (it won’t import 16-bit TIFFs even though it’ll import 32-bit PSDs) there doesn’t seem to be any way to turn off compression of rendered TIFFs.

As a workaround, I’ve been able to use Photoshop Extended’s File -> Export -> Render Video to convert either a TIFF sequence or an EXR sequence to PSD which Premiere Pro will load, but it’s an extra step and takes time.

What would be really handy is to have PSD support across the board in Blender, for rendering (8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit with or without an alpha channel) but also for the UV Image Editor, background images and textures, too.

Anyone?

Hurray! Finally someone sees my Point of View! :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe the script from Blender 2.5 will work, or at least we could try it. I’d like to get PSDs working again so I can edit my images on the fly without having to save a PNG.

BTW, I’m not a noob anymore like I was when I first posted this. I’ve learned a lot in Blender since. :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I could see looking at the source, it seems PSD support wasn’t a Python addon. There were references in header files, etc. to PSD leading me to believe it was integrated right into the C code.

I considered an attempt at making an addon, but it would be way beyond my current understanding of Blender, Python and PSD format.

Maybe some other kind soul, more versed in these things, is watching and will take pity on us. :slight_smile:

I agree. Take pity on us poor creatures with PSD files! :stuck_out_tongue:

Too bad the import wasn’t a py script…

Yeah, almost makes me want to dual-boot Linux… except then I’d go nuts having to go back and forth.

Can someone in the know tell us if PSD support was removed because of licensing? Or was it some other reason?

Hmm… I downloaded the Linux version of Blender 2.64… Didn’t you say it was in that version? Anyway, I swapped out the folders of Windows with Linux and I didn’t get PSD support. I guess it’s built into the executable file… Hmm…

I was going by scuttlebutt on this forum. Perhaps I was misinformed.