Blender 2.65: Cannot change visible layer, but only in one project.

Firstly, I apologise in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong section, or even worse the wrong website.

I’m using Blender 2.65 on 64 bit Windows 7, and I’m currently trying to learn how to use this software from the Blender 3D: Noob to Pro guide on wikibooks. In one of the modules, it requires me to create a new object in a new layer. There’s one problem with this, though: the layer selector box on the 3D view bar is not visible, and furthermore, when I press a number key to try and change layers that way, absolutely nothing happens.

Where I should see this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]208156[/ATTACH]

I instead see this:

However, if I load any other blender project, or create a new file, the buttons appear, and pressing keyboard shortcuts to select the visible layer works normally. Is there anything I’m missing, or is this a bug. Also, is it fixable, or will I need to copy and paste the object I already have into a new project?

In case they’re relevant (which I doubt), my PC specs are below:

Intel i5 2320 @3.0 GHz
4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB (factory overclocked)
64 bit Windows 7 Professional
64 bit Blender 2.65
More versions of python than are worth listing.

From your screenshot you are in Edit mode. You can only change layers when you are in Object Mode

Attachments

I’ve stopped working on this project now, but I get the same issue in object mode… I think. Either way, for me, this no longer matters.