Blender 2.65a :)

i can see now, thanks. As long as it’s somewhere on a todo list, i’m happy.

so!, no more knife tool bug reports, I assume its working perfect and all users are happy with it (besides possible additions and improvements with snapping), if something doesnt work pls report it and we’ll check on it.

Trying to reproduce an old bug i reported with the knife and that was fixed some time ago, i could find a way to redo it simply using r52759 win32 from the buildbot of today
I’m not sure if it is the same as the bugs on the todo so i post it here

Load that blend with load ui enabled (or if not, just go in Orthographic view when going into Edit Mode, but the problem should still be in Perspective view too) :

Make that cut by pressing K (make sure limit selection to visible is disabled, as we want to cut the whole mesh, not just the face in front of the view):

It will miss cutting there :

Or do this simpler cut :
http://i.imgur.com/1yQKz.jpg

Result , the cut is missing faces despite limit selection to visible disabled :
http://i.imgur.com/PmENP.jpg

Only way to have it cut without missing like in the screenshots would be to first select all then press SHIFT+K to make that cut.

@Sanctuary, for this you want ‘cut through’, enable with Z key during cut. (As the header shows)
… or you can activate knife with ‘Shift+K’, or in the toolbar with the baddly named button on the right hand side of ‘Knife’

This works more like the knife tool before bmesh.

Thank you, i had no idea there was a Z “cut through” function for the knife (because at my resolution the header does not show all the functions unless i nearly completely remove the properties panel to reveal the part of the header hidden under it).
It works great with Z pressed during the cut.

I’ve had this problem with a mesh that I’m exporting as an obj. It worked fine before I applied the new decimate modifier to the ground plane. I’ve tried using the triangulate option in the exporter and turning that off and using the new triangulate modifier and I keep getting errors.

I’ll try it with a few other meshes and if I have any other problems, or if anyone else reports it, I’ll narrow it down and file a bug report.

Hello,

Wondered about reporting this as a bug but thought I would ask here first…

Anybody else using an Intel GPU, experience Blender 2.65 hanging after setting any MultiSample setting (other than “No MultiSample”), re-starting Blender, then trying to open the User Preferences?

When Blender is re-started the Viewport correctly displays with AA, but as mentioned any attempt to go into User Preferences causes Blender to hang, the only solution is to close Blender.

Only way Blender’s User Preferences can once again be accessed is by deleting the saved preferences folder.

Test Specifications:

• Two systems, one using an Intel HD 4000, the other an Intel HD 3000, both have the latest graphics driver.
  • Both systems are running Windows 7 x64
  • Most recent BuildBot build tested, Blender 2.64.9 (52761)

In case wondering, why use an Intel GPU for display? I use a powerful NVIDIA GPU purely for GPGPU, plus Intel Viewport performance (with the HD 4000) is surprising good and doesn’t seem to suffer while using Double Sided normals.

David

When trying to load CUDA kernels, I get compilation errors like
12-12-05 8:44:54.045 PM [0x0-0x18b18b].org.blenderfoundation.blender: /Applications/blender-2.65-RC1-OSX_10.6-x86_64/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/2.64/scripts/addons/cycles/kernel/svm/svm_bsdf.h:19:46: error: …/closure/bsdf_ashikhmin_velvet.h: No such file or directory

Any clue?

@Tea_Monster, that bugs fixed since 2.65rc1
@David Black, some graphics cards just have bad drivers, in most cases theres not much we can do about it, afraid you’ll just have to disable multisample (and report the bug to intel if you like).

Thank you ideasman42 for your rapid reply,

Out of interest why does Blender hang (only while trying to enter User Preferences) if the Viewport correctly displays AA using MultiSample with an Intel card, or to ask the question a different way… what is it about the driver that prevents the User Preferences from displaying while everything else seems to work with MulitSample enabled?

Thank you for your time,
David

Intel has for many years not bothered to write stable OpenGL drivers. I’d be surprised if this was anything but yet another weird bug in their drivers.

so i don’t know how to file a bug report on this, because its not exactly reproducable, but it happens with incredibly frequent irregularity. the new smoke simulator seems to crash when using uv textured image sequences to control emission on the emitter object. i am using the dynamic domain and a fairly high resolution (300 res with 1 high res), but the problem seems to be most prevalent in cases using the image sequence for emission.

ram usage doesn’t appear to be a problem, and it can get through a sim without crashing, it just takes many, many tries (without changing any values) before it works. sometimes it will crash during cache (bake button seems to calculate an empty domain for the entire animation), sometimes during “cache to bake”, sometimes during render.

Blender 2.65 RC2 starting to show up http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.65/
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2012-December/038389.html

Hmm, no Linux builds yet… guess I either have to wait, or try my hand at compiling from source :wink:

Speaking of compiling, are there any pros/cons when it comes to CMake or Scons? I read about it yesterday but I couldn’t find what the difference is.

Thank you Lord Crc for your feedback. I am genuinely interested to know why only the User Preferences would be affected, causing Blender to hang, while it seems all other parts of the interface and Viewport work rapidly & smoothly without issues using MulitiSample on the Intel chipset?

Thank you in advance for any helpful explanation,

David

PS: Will carry out further tests and see if I can identify any other triggers.

On some older Intel chipsets (at least up to the G31/G33) , there was a crash occuring when doing a File -> User Preference if you had changed the “Window Draw Mode” in the System tab or enabled VBO (that didn’t worked anyways for those older Intel chipsets).

A workaround for those older intel Chipset was to change the 3D view into the User Preferences instead of clicking on File -> User Preferences :
http://i.imgur.com/clGal.jpg

See if it works for you this way, as it’s possible this crash you’re experiencing has some links to the old chipsets problem .
Be sure to have the latest intel driver for your card, on every Intel chipset i had, the latest driver was always much better in term of OpenGL support than the driver that came with the chipset originally.

Thank you Sanctuary, the workaround you offered works perfectly while using MultiSample, allowing the User Preferences to be edited (User Preferences can be accessed normally without MultiSample). I wonder what it is about opening a new window that causes the hang under those circumstances, might try setting the maximum 1GB memory in the BIOS for the Intel card and see if it is a memory issue.

David

I don’t know how the UI is drawn in Blender, so I can’t really say. However I do know that it’s not uncommon for certain specific usages to trigger extreme slowdowns. My ATI card back in the days would do the same on some scenes in a specific game, when a lot of transparent polygons were drawn over each other (simulating a rocket exhaust) and I had enabled AA. If I disabled multisampling, the game ran fine. Other games with similar scenes ran fine. So that one game did something specific.

Anyway, perhaps some of the Blender devs could shed some light. In the mean time, do yourself a favor and get a proper video card. Stuff a second bottom-line NVIDIA card, passive cooled, just for the viewport. Anything is better than an Intel.

The blender OSX 10.5 build on blender bot doesnt work on OSx 10.5… ;(
Also the 10.5 RC2 build doesnt work on Leopard…
What i also recognized that the builds after Rev. 51723 could handle my scenes before this Revisions…
Also after many subdivisions the viewprt is getting lagy…

Great to hear that, thanks! Many thanks to yourself and all the other people slaving away over Blender.