Blender 2.66 64bit crash

This may be a false alarm and just my computer, but since I’ve downloaded the 64bit version of the newest Blender yesterday my computer has fallen twice into a series of instantaneous crashes: the first whilst editing a mesh in Blender, the following couple in the start-up screen, and, later, during the use of Firefox. They seem to be incited perhaps just by the installation of the new Blender… Again, this could be nothing, but it’s worth putting out there. I’m running a 2010 Macbook Pro, using the 10.7.5 OS version, with 8gb 1067 MHz DDR3 memory and a 2.66 GHz Intel i7 processor, which should be able to handle a 64bit version just fine. Please, don’t give me crap about owning a mac, it is, frankly, annoying, and besides, I have plenty of logic and experience to back me up. Anyway. Take note, be wary. To end the series of seemingly connected crashes I shut down the computer, booted it back up, and then restarted it from the restart menu, which allowed it to continue functioning. I’ve uninstalled/deleted the 64bit Blender version, and so I’ll report back here should the crash occur again. Good luck in life, safe travels, I dunno. I hope I put this in the right forum.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Sounds very like hardware problem, and reading you post, i suspect you already think same, but need somebody who say same to be sure. Search 'net about memory /CPU test program, usually RAM is main problem and can be tested, run memtest several hours to be sure you can exclude it, then try usual benchmarks/ CPU"fry" tests, etc. Blender do not alter any system libraries in any way.

Aye, thank you, and sorry for the late response. I’ve been unable to use my computer until now (it was more or less dead, having gone through just about every kind of documented failure a computer can, short of bursting into flames, and thus repairs took a while…) and thus haven’t been able to return to this. Anyway: some folks I talked to suggested that the installation had merely exposed the problem rather than caused it, which seemed to be the case. The RAM was dying and the logic board had failed, and I’m supposing it had something to do with the fact that I used the 64-bit version, given all the extra processing power required, and that this simply blew it out. However, it seems functional now.