Blender 2.6a Problem with rotation of viewport

I cant rotate the viewport via the middle mouse button like I used to…it used to allow me to rotate upwards as well, like this -----
and also
but it wont let me rotate upwards diagonally and it keeps the ‘grid’ flat to my viewport at all times…I really liked the freedom of movement from 2.59 and now I dont have it>? how do i change this back?

also this ‘freedom’ is in all blender versions since 2.5.0

Change the orbit style in your preferences from turntable to trackball.

mmk i will try it thank you

OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can finally rotate correctly…thank goodness it wasnt a bug :smiley:

Hi!
I’m having the same problem with rotation. I tried changing the orbit style in User Preferences to Trackball with no apparent difference. I’m using a mac os x 10.5.8 with a touchpad. Any suggestions?

I don’t know if it can be applied to your case as i don’t have a touchpad, but i sometime got such problem when using a new build of Blender, and going to File -> User Preferences -> Input tab -> Enabling then Disabling the “Emulate 3 buttons mouse” was enough to give me back the mousewheel control to zoom in/out

Brilliant! Actually, all I did was enable “Emulate 3 button mouse”, then “Save as default” and it works a charm! Thank you so much!