Blender 2.7 Level of Detail only works in view port

Can someone confirm this?

It’s working just fine , if you can ignore the ‘CryEngine’ style popping effect. Most people should be sick and tired of the LOD switching concept already. Maybe you forgot to switch to GLSL mode or something. How about some LOD switching that is not noticeable to the camera or some properly done dynamic tessellation. Press P to play.

Attachments

LodSwitching.blend (498 KB)

Your File is working. My setup does not. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

lod.blend (876 KB)

While testing the lod switching thingy , I discovered a new set of backface culling problems or camera near clipping bugs. The mesh shows like it has inverted normal or transparent in some places but only in the game engine. In the viewport the mesh looks fine. Material problem ? Can anybody fix the damn camera so that we can set the near clipping to 0.0001 or less ? Why is it locked at 0.001 ? It’s not even working properly cause I can see way too much z-fighting from a distance even with a setting of 0.001.

Attachments

LodSwitching01.blend (720 KB)

I think you are right. It’s bugged , either the material or the lod switching. In some cases is switching only the material but the mesh stays the same and sometimes it’s working only in the viewport but not in the game engine. You can definitely see it in this scene with the mesh that was sculpted and decimated. At first the mesh was showing transparent like , flipped normals in some places. I had to remove the old material to fix the transparency problem but now the lod switching is not working anymore.

Attachments

LodSwitching02.blend (794 KB)

I found the solution. I had to apply the Decimate Modifier on my generated lod meshes. I over read the part in the blender wiki where it says “Generation is done using the decimate modifier. Generation does not apply the modifier to allow further changing the settings”

Be sure you have no modifiers on the level of detail objects. This currently a limitation that is being looked into.

As for the near clip value, you want that number to be as high as possible. Ideally your near clip value and far clip value should be close to each other. The closer the two values are, the more precision you get from the depth buffer, and the less likely you are to get artifacts such as z-fighting.

I found the solution. I had to apply the Decimate Modifier on my generated lod meshes. I over read the part in the blender wiki where it says “Generation is done using the decimate modifier. Generation does not apply the modifier to allow further changing the settings”