Blender 2.71 NEW Muscle Simulator

Can you get something like this? {:
https://vimeo.com/46429322

I think the question should be … can you get something like this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VlthWa5pu8&feature=kp

nope…

Awesome!! This brings Blender characters to another level.

I m sure thats in some way possible but for this the muscle creator has to be developed a little more advanced. I would be greatful for any help and if someone could code python in blender to create a suitable interface for muscle creation and skinning and jiggle effects with softbodys etc :slight_smile: so if you can please write a private message or if oyu have some improvement proposes i would be glad to hear them to make an epic and good working muscle sim for blender :slight_smile:

cool setup, would be great to get a nice concept and interface for it. maybe laplacian deform could be used for this somehow. we use a lot of deformations in our engine and usually get the best results when using tetmeshes. maybe it can help with muscle density and volume at a later stage.
ps: the calf muscle does not get bigger when bending the knee but the foot:D

Can i use it in 2.70 blender?

Do you have any plans to add automatic muscle creation functionality?

For instance, a single button to add a predefined human muscle or muscle group?

Yeah i try to develope a tool or an add on to simplify the work with the muscle creator :slight_smile:

a google summer of code would be nice :slight_smile:

What do you mean by “an armature modifier just for meshes”?

I mean that the armature modifier works perfect with bones but not with mesh objects so if there would be an option to deform the mesh by the same way like the joints doing without overlapping and stuff like this then the muscle simulator would work much better and more professionel :smiley:

Are you thinking of something like this?

Exactly ! just a deformer who works “Good” with other meshes :slight_smile:

Looked like those characters were from “Tangled”.

Yes, they were from “Tangled”. Walt Disney Animation Studios produced the software and video.

This is the original video I was looking for. This “implicit skinning” method requires less computation, and its mechanics seem similar to what we are attempting in Blender. Simply put, it works like this:

1. Generates iso-surfaces based upon field functions from the mesh, weight groups, and partitions.
  2. Rigidly deform the iso-surfaces with the armature, allowing them to intersect.
  3. Deform the mesh normally
  4. Project the mesh onto the iso-surfaces, creating creases where the iso-surfaces intersect.

The shrinkwrap modifier’s greatest shortcoming is that it can only project to vertices, not surfaces. The field function has infinite surface points where the mesh only has vertices. Somewhere along the way a mathematical representation of the target mesh would need created. Even then, Blender may just be doing a distance calculation between vertices, requiring the creation of a complex surface projection algorithm.

I have gotten modest results using a single soft body and a skin mesh that are both deformed by an armature. The softbody would eventually be an entire underlying form made of rigid and soft objects that the skin would be shrinkwrapped to individually using weighted vertex groups. The idea is that something like your muscle system could help construct that underlying form. The largest problem, now, is how many vertices the underlying form would need to have.

The only practical solution I see is to create an object that is a simple, mathematically generated surface rather than a mesh. Then, the shrinkwrap modifier could be augmented to use those objects, which would not result in vertex snapping. However, transforming those objects would be more difficult than transforming a mesh.

EDIT:
I feel like such a noob. xD I found the feature of the shrinkwrap modifier that projects onto a surface rather than a vertex. This is quite wonderful. This makes my plans viable without any modifications to Blender.

@AustinCPrescott

This is easy possible with the muscle simulator add on :smiley:

@austin,
although the shrinkwrap modifier projects unto surfaces, it’s very annoying most times. it still seems to snap the vertices rather than allowing them to slide on the target mesh. it doesn’t allow for slight and precise adjustments

@coloremblem,
you’ve just opened some huge doors for us. thanks!

implicit skinning is ready for blender read this

[LIST=|INDENT=1]

• Ton Roosendaal had mail from this team. Implicit Skinning is close to a source release. We need to find someone who’s interested to help getting this in Blender.
    [/LIST]

YEAH! Thanks for the awesome addon! I look forward to trying it out.

although the shrinkwrap modifier projects unto surfaces, it’s very annoying most times. it still seems to snap the vertices rather than allowing them to slide on the target mesh. it doesn’t allow for slight and precise adjustments

I faced some jiterry and glitchy behavior, but I was able to “tweak it out”. I hope it does not become a much larger problem later.

I look forward to seeing what people are able to do with this new addon! :slight_smile:

Originally Posted by coloremblem
the shrinkwrap modifier is a not so good but the only possible soltion at now and at my opinion blender definately needs a real object deformer ! Not this mesh deform thing i mean an armature modifier just for meshes !

• you can use Mesh deform i have see some good technique with armature and mesh deform
  • have you experiment with skin modifier, armature and mesh deform i get some nice result with it
    here is an old experiment with deform modifier and skin modifier
  • 12 vertex edge > skin modifier blue object
  • a cylinder deformed with the skin modifier as a deform object
  • the best part is that the skin modifier generate his own armature this can be a really advantage