Blender 2.77a 2016-05-05 18:12 Hash abf6f08 Crashing Computer on Render

I’m not sure what is going on here.

Every time I try to render an image of what I’m working on, Blender stops responding and eventually my computer goes BSOD (if I don’t do a power reset first, and I missed the windows error message on the last BSOD.) I’ll get a render in the render image editor, but then, if I move a mouse, or if I try to re-render or cancel a render, or even if I do nothing at all, Blender goes Not Responding and eventually dies and takes the rest of my computer with it.

This has never happened to me in previous versions.

I have downloaded the latest 2.77a zips ( both 32 and 64 bit) from Blender.org and run them standalone, I also have the Steam version with the most recent update. All versions cause the same problem when trying to render a scene.

I have updated my graphics drive to the newest possible even trying the beta currently available (wondered if there might be a fix in that) but just like the most current stable the render crashed my computer.

Anyone else experiencing the same or may found a fix to stop the behaviour?

I’m about to try earlier versions of Blender to see if I get the same result as I know they work. If they crash my system, then I’ll have to suspect something else is afoot.

Computer specs…

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX 75 °F
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942) 94 °F
Graphics
SMB2430H ([email protected])
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 96 °F
Storage
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA) 110 °F
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 94 °F
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 103 °F
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA) 101 °F
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Regards.

Weird, Blender version 2.76b 2015-11-03 10:56 Hash f337fea runs perfectly fine. It does not go into a non responsive state after rendering anything. 2.77a however, crashes at the end of any render job (including image sequence renders to mp4.)

Hi, if you can reproduce the crash please report as bug in bugtracker with a simple as possible .blend.
Link is in Blender Help menu.
Do you render on GPU?
Does it crash with every file?

Cheers, mib

Thanks mib2berlin

I was screen recording the problem showing the problem does not exist until 2.77a. As I worked from 2.68 forward without problems, I found 2.77 (not 2.77a) was giving me the same problem when it hadn’t before.

I think I’ve found the problem. It may be a plugin that I have loaded that is not compatible with 2.77. (Now, all I have to find which one or ones (or combinations of) are causing the situation. I have so many that I’ve installed and activated.)

However, after resetting 2.77a back to factory settings, the problem seems to have gone away in its factory state but I have to do more testing to be sure.

As I start reloading the plugins I had and I find the guilty thing, I’ll follow up here then take this to the appropriate Forum informing the author of the situation (if he/she’s interested) and I’ll mark this one as solved.

Thanks for your reply.

Followup -

As I started re-invoking plug ins, I got to Spritify. As soon as I turn that puppy on, 2.77a started to misbehave again when rendering. (This may be one of the guilty culprits.)

Edit - I thought Spritify was Blender Native, however looking at a couple of posts on the subject, I’ve read that the script may fail if you have ImageMagick loaded. (I do, therefore this maybe my problem)…

So, looking at Spritify, the script information says it requires ImageMagick. With the most current version of ImageMagick installed and the plugin enabled, 2.77a crashes. With the plugin disabled and ImageMagick installed, 2.77a is happy. With ImageMagic not installed and Spritify enabled, 2.77a is still happy, however I don’t know if Spritified is still working.

More testing to be done with the others that are still disabled.

Last followup on this one. I’ve found the guilty party. It is Spritify.

Final testing. So, the Spritify install warning informs us that ImageMagick is required for the plugin. I’ve done some more testing.

I went to the ImageMagick website and downloaded the newest build (looks like there was a change just 2 hours ago.) Version downloaded was “ImageMagick-7.0.2-0-Q16-x64-dll.exe” and reinstalled.

Going through the install options, I DIDNOT select Install Legacy Utilities. After the program installed, I attempted to use 2.77a with the Spritify plugin enabled and rendered the cube. 2.77a was happy and complied without incident.

I uninstalled ImageMagick and reinstalled. This time I DID select Install Legacy Utilities and performed the same test in 2.77a. 2.77a was VERY unhappy and the situation recurred. Blender went unresponsive, which eventually lead to the whole system going unresponsive and the system crashed.

I uninstalled ImageMagick and reinstalled again as I had originally NOT selecting Install Legacy Utilities and performed the same test again. 2.77a was happy again and complied without incident again.

Now whether or not Spritify is happy without the legacy utilities enabled in ImageMagick, I don’t know. I’m not currently in a project where I use it to test.

I’ve logged into the Bug Report site using the Script’s Report a Bug button and left Jason a note and asked if Legacy Utilities are required for the plugin to work. I also pointed him here to this discussion.

Whether or not the plugin is still being supported into the newer versions of Blender and ImageMagick, I don’t know. Hopefully Jason will read my note and reply somewhere.

But, I’m happy with the results I’ve found here and consider this problem solved (for this forum anyway.)