Blender 2.8.2 Rendering of materials not possible in object mode

Hi there,

I am a pretty newbie, I only use blender (and any 3D software) since approx 3 months.
So I apologize if my request may be stupid.

I used to become pretty comfortable with materials and textures and UV Editing.
But in the new Blender 2.8 nothing seems to work again. When I create a new object and put on the materials and textures, these are not rendered when the object is set in “object mode.” Neither in wiewport nor in final export. It just makes a grey or black opaque surface. In the viewport, only the first material aplied is shown, all over the object, disregarding the faces with other materials / textures on them.

If the object is set in “edit mode”, then it works. But what to do if a have to render a scene with several objects ? all can’t be set in “edit mode”.
The problem does not occur when I load a file created in the old version of Blender 2.8.1 Only with newly created objects in the new version.

Do I really have to switch back to 2.8.1 ? :worried:
Anyone wit the same problem?

My Config

Windows 10
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K CPU 3,70 HHZ
RAM 32 GA
Graphic card : NVIDIA GForce GTX 560 Ti

Thanks for any help

Diana

Intended behavior is that :
The whole object uses material, you precise in first slot of material list.
Some parts of it will use a material precised in second, or third slot of material list, only if user assigns those specific materials to those parts in edit mode.

In 2.8, that did not change. What changes is just the way to present options to display textures in viewport. But you should see them in Material Preview or Rendered mode. That should not impact Render.
Pressing F12 should show textures if everything is set-up correctly and whatever mode is active.

So, what do you mean precisely ?
If you mean that you have to enter edit mode to assign material to faces : well, that has always been the case.
If you mean that correctly assigned materials are not rendered, that is a rendering problem.
You may have wrongly set-up your lights or connections into material nodes.
If you were used to Blender Internal and never touched Cycles, that would not be surprising to experience difficulties with material nodes of EEVEE.
If you mean that you don’t see textures in Viewport, check Viewport Shading popover and different display modes. Follow some tutorials about basics of 2.8, and when it will be understood; you will probably easily figure out what is not well-configured.

Hi Zeauro.

I probably did not express myslef well.

“If you mean that correctly assigned materials are not rendered, that is a rendering problem.”

It must be that.

“If you were used to Blender Internal and never touched Cycles, that would not be surprising to experience difficulties with material nodes of EEVEE.”

The problem occurs as well in Eevee as in Cycles and I am used to work in both.

“If you mean that you don’t see textures in Viewport, check Viewport Shading popover and different display modes.”

The problem occurs as WELL AS in the viewport as in the final render.

“Follow some tutorials about basics of 2.8, and when it will be understood; you will probably easily figure out what is not well-configured.”

I went trough a lot of them. As I said, despite of being a beginner, I am comfortable with shading nodes and never had the problem in the previous versions of Blender. It only occurs in the latest version.

Perhaps this has something to do with this issue?

1 Like

Well, that looks like a bug.

Except the case of using a modifier to tweak mapping, there is no reason to obtain a different result after a switch in edit mode.
And being in edit mode or object mode should not affect a render obtained by pressing F12.

If you don’t use a post-effect like motion blur or a complex nodetree for material that would imply a shader node not well supported by EEVEE, I don’t see a valuable reason for that.

You probably should report it as a bug.

1 Like

Stan, yes, apparently this is said bug. Good to know it is reported

1 Like

Zezaro, yes, it must be bug. The link Stan posted refers to the vexact same problem.

So lets just hope bug will be fixed quickly

1 Like