Blender 2.8.20 2.8.3, 2.9 - Hair Doesn't Render With Eevee when STRIP is on

Blender 2.8.3 Hair Doesn’t Render With Eevee when STRIP is on

No preview, no rendering. I’ve tried 2.8.2, 2.8.3, and 2.9, the same problem. It only renders when I switch to STRAND, but it’s of no use since all hair width information is lost.

The same hair renders fine in Blender 2.8.0. I’m on Windows 10 and I recently chatted with somebody who doesn’t have any problems with B 2.8.3, but he is on Linux.

This is really weird. I’ve been searching for weeks and cannot find anything. Any thoughts?
I like 2.8.3 and 2.9, but this hair problem makes me go back to 2.8 every time I need to render hair.

1 Like

OK guys, if you ever get this problem, I figured it out. It was my AMD video card. I’ve downloaded the latest drivers, and it renders fine now.

2 Likes

I have an Nvidia card and this was happening to me too. Realized that it had nothing to do with my graphics card but the ‘Diameter of root’ & scale setting in the hair shape panel. Increased it and it’s rendering the strip hair.
Putting it here just in case someone has the same issue.

1 Like

I have a plane with a simple hair particle and hair does not show on view port. It only shows when I go to PARTICLE EDIT…or if I go to WIREFRAME mode, otherwise the hair is not shown neither rendering. I check same file in 2.83.4 and works perfect. This problem is just in Blender 2.9. Is it just me? Or am I missing out some new strange setting introduced in 2.9 ? :blush:

1 Like

No doubt there is a glitch in 2.9, hair is not rendering or showing in Eevee. I can only see it in wireframe mode. Same file launched in 2.83.4 and it works nicely. I can render the hair in cycles but it can not been seen in the viewport…it displays a few weird triangles that seems to extend to the infinite. Hope it get solved in newer updates.

1 Like

Yes,. I also facing this issue. In Blender 2.9. When I add hair particle it extends to infinite… It should get fixed I was worried that it’s my hardware problem. They should fix this issue…

Problem continues in 2.90.1…no hair in Eevee :frowning:

Could you explain how you updated the drivers? Im kinda new to windows, been on osx for 17 years. I only get black hairs no matter what i do, tried strand and strip and both render black. Test using simple hair material. Tested both Hair BSDF and Principle Hair BSDF.

Im using Ryzen 7 with 1660Ti

EDIT
ow i see, hair shader isnt supported in EEVEE

Continuing the discussion from Blender 2.8.20 2.8.3, 2.9 - Hair Doesn't Render With Eevee when STRIP is on:

that solution fixed my problems.
I’ve downloaded the latest video drivers for my video card from AMD website and then ran the installation app. That fixed it.

I’ve downloaded the latest video drivers for my video card from AMD website and then ran the installation app. That fixed it. And it still working no problems on Windows. Recently I moved to Linux, no problem on Ubuntu in Blender but the OS keeps trying to update AMD video drivers and fails every time I am trying to install something new.

Also make sure to check your strand shape is set somewhere near 0 or more.

Strand shape of -1 makes it completely off in eevee.

Linux / Ubuntu AMD GPU rendering update.
When I installed AMD proprietary GPU/ OpneGL/OpenCL drivers it gave me all kind of problems, system wide. Like OS blacklisting AMD video drivers and not loading them at all on boot-up, AMD errors every time I was trying to update an app and so on. So I just removed them and ended up using Linux own AMD drivers. They are not supported by Cycles though, so no GPU rendering with Cycles, but I never use Cycles anyway. What I mean by that is if you guys are on Linux and don’t use Cycles, then don’t ever install AMD original proprietary drivers. They will give you all kind of grief.
Now my Linux works like a charm. Eevee rendering is still able to utilize GPU, no problem, even with Linux drivers. Getting distorted sound in Blender 3.0.0, but that’s another story. It’s just an early alpha for now.