Blender 2.8 and Scripts collection

Hi, i would like to open this discussion over the observation of the previous collection of python scripts and its future.

Right, we have been creating multiple scripts in the past for various features and tools, but i was always disturb by the fact that there are many very similar or many could be merged for more efficiency, am i right here ?

Well, as a pro user, i would expect a collection of scripts that can be updated along the way, by various dev and with a sens of collaboration. Yes, i would like to see a script context method for each one, as a library would be.

to give some detail , i would like to present a specific context (not my favorite one, but one of the most used in the industry), the architecture studio.
we know that for architects, Blender depends on many scripts, and in this case, i would dream of a united script that does everything from add specific objects (parametric windows and doors…), add measurement ruler with various units, a set of tools to ensure that the imported CAD plan get its correct proportion and wall structure, etc… for a final name of “Blender Architecture script toolset”

An other context for exemple, would be the creation of natural environment, i can see here a unified script, offering help for landscape creation with automatic tree, flower, grass… generation, an advanced sky system with sun position, cloud generation, physics (wind, rain…) and an advanced ground textures painting tools (like Unity)…for a final name of “Blender Landscape script toolset”

Well, you get my point, a Unified script System, that calls for developpers, and respect the main objective, which is to provide to users the best tool for professional works.

I would like to get your opinion on that point…
Also, i consider seriously that some companies are making profit out of their scripts, and i just respect this, but on the community level, i would see here the point to contribute to the profit of all.
Thx, have a nice day blending :slight_smile:
uriel

1 Like

This is where application templates are usefull,
by providing toolsets made of many addons and pre-configured workspaces dedicated to specific tasks.

It also separate the work required in two clear parts, addon devs and templates devs.

Addons being mostly user contributions over time, building somethig consistent using shared code and maintainable over time from it will require huge work.

Blender’s way of (not) managing addons dependency and library prevent any initiative to build shared library unless they are shipped with the core, so some work on API is probably required to make this happen.

1 Like

Of course this would be awesome , but I guess it’s also very hard to do in practice.
At least, all blender’s addons are GPL so in theory someone can take the code and try to unify some of them.

I think to get a true and complete solution it’s better to bet on some commercial projects like grass essential / rock essentials . If they make Tree essentials and a few others you may get something that start to look like a natural environment creation tool.

As stephen pointed out, maybe the template system could help here too.

Making a collaborative addon like you describe sound a bit like “who want’s to make a great movie with me”, there are a lot of attempt but very few chances of success.
Many open source projects are a one person projects, and it’s hard for them to get external contributions.

1 Like

thanks for that precisions, app template looks promising ! i gonna look at the template dev doc…
have a nice day