Blender 2.8 Beta Sculpting and System Requirements

Hello Blender Artists!

I’m new here! Just learning blender so I am a total newbie.

I just got into Sculpting. Used it a little in Blender 2.79b (stable), and am trying to get used to it on Blender 2.8 (beta). I don’t lag as badly on 2.79b-stable but I lag a lot on 2.8-Beta.

Is my system specs to low?

Specs:
GTX 1060m 6GB GRAM dedicated
i7-6700HQ (Quad core) @2.60Ghz~
16GB system RAM

Its a lappy by the way. :slight_smile:

APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTS THANKS! :smiley:

That should be perfectly fine hardware for Blender 2.79 or 2.80.

How many polygons are you sculpting on? Dynamic Topology turned on? Any modifiers on the object? Don’t try sculpting on an object that has an active Subdivision Surface modifier in 2.80 as subdivs are currently unusably slow.

1 Like

Subdiv modifiers in 2.80 are now back up to just “very slow” rather than “unusably slow” btw.

1 Like

The whole Sculpt system in 2.8 is still very unstable and poorly optimized. It will not work well even with the best hardware in the world. You wait until 2.8 becomes really stable to make better decisions.

1 Like

Thank you! You have confirmed a hunch that I had! (I think i did test by switching between blender 2.7 and 2.8, but also wondered if there was a spec issue!)

Thank you for the info about the dynamic topology and the subdivision surface modifier stuff!

To answer, I usually do try to keep Dnynatopo on. I notice I haven’t lagged at 160k tris but do lag at 4M tris in the regular mode (haha I am new to this so I don’t know what the average threshold could be if there is one!). Also, I don’t think I turned on the subsurf modifier nor do I know if its on by default…

Also, I notice that, after i sculpt for a while, I get this torn, shreaded, fragmented mesh where I was sculpting. And, if I shift+z, sometimes, a lot of the changes I make to the “clay” revert to some save point, so I loose a lot of work.

Is this part of the stability problem as well?

There have been a number of multires/dynotopo fixes in recent days, so if you haven’t downloaded a new 2.80 beta recently, today or especially tomorrow’s beta build (in a couple hours) is worth trying to see if it improves things for you.

1 Like

Thank you. I did update to a more recent rendition of Blender 2.8 (in April a few weeks ago) and the sculpting works much better. I finally got some great work done with the sculpting feature.

But, now, at about 1.5 M tris, adding clay, creasing, and smoothing gets sluggish (trying to make eyelids on a model). Feels like a stability issue but also I am wondering if my specs were a little more fancy if I could last a little longer adding and manipulating more tris as I sculpt.