Blender 2.8 cannot Image Sequence?

Is there ever likely to be a time in Blenders 2.8 development that we see PNG/AVI image sequencing switched back on?.It would be great for us green screen people because right now as of 21st August 2018 it absolutely does not do this …One image will appear on a plain in transparency but it won’t go onto the next png frame in the node editor,try it .Therefore no animation…No one seems to ask this sort of question …It would be nice to get a Blender developers take on it …Just think of the possibilities and the strength of the software if it was to be switched on at some time.All that superfast real time Eevee rendering with a real human/object in the middle of it all in bloom volumetrics shadow etc …Thank you, Gaz

1 Like

Indeed , it works in background image (camera) and compositor.
But empty images and setting it as material node doesn’t work.
This will be obviously fixed at some point, but for now dev’s have other priorities …

BTW, background image in camera mode is quite buggy when used in OpenGl/workbench. It work nicely in eevee.

it’s better to wait until bugtracker is re-opened for general bugs or regressions so we can submit these issues. For now it’s not the time to tackle these I guess.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply . This is the answer i was after .I understand it not being a priority but the great thing about Blender is that it is such a flexible program and pushes up all these fantastic possibilities…Hope it gets picked up soon. I’ve built a whole city waiting for it! Good luck to all the coders who tackle the node image sequencer and transparency .It’s supposed to be a pretty tricky job but i hope they can do it before the Beta and final release next year…

1 Like

The funny thing is that it did work in some of the pre alpha builds albeit with some coaxing, I,m kicking myself for not having kept the earlier one for just this contingency. As the current one just stays put on frame 1

2 Likes

Exactly, it appeared to work in an April version of 2.8…Since they shut it off around then ,I find i don’t have that zip file either …dammit …It can’t be too long now till they bring it back …or can it ?..Let’s hope

1 Like

Anyone knows when will image sequence will work in eevee?

Currently it seems it’s not possible to add an image sequence node at all, neither in the material node editor, or the compositor as it throws up an error to do with node wrangler. I tried to disable node wrangler and the option to add an image sequence is gone.

I can only assume that something is being tinkered with to do with images sequences. fingers crossed

EDIT: Now working! ‘Image sequence’ node still doesn’t work, but adding an image and selecting multiple images will set your node up. I set it to Auto Refresh, and it works in the render, auto update didn’t initially seem to be working, but after toggling cyclic and auto update a couple of time, it now seems to be working if I press space…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f71Joh_mNnU

1 Like

It is supposed to be solved since yesterday.

https://developer.blender.org/rB0e3a2acbfa6998b3a1ec967f3c25f7e12e0cf8fb

Default Image datablock is supposed to handle image sequences and movies.
Just use same nodes and buttons than for opening an image.
You just need to select all images of sequence or a movie instead of choosing one image.

For me, it only works correctly at render.
When I play animation, texture is only refreshed in viewport when I stop playback.
And I need an image editor to be open in same workspace as 3D View. An it only works in Solid mode.

2 Likes

Seems to be working in all draw modes now, without having to have an image editor open :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also just came across this image sequence issue with evee. Have they found a solution yet?

Yes, it was fixed a while back now. You can use image sequences in Eevee and Workbench now.

Oh great what was your solution or any link to a tutorial with it

The solution is to download the latest build on builder.blender.org.

1 Like