Blender 2.8 development thread

2.8 is not ready for any actual work. Major parts are broken, or will be broken soon. The UI is changing on a daily basis.

Stick with 2.79 for work.

1 Like

Thanks @Piotr_Adamowicz ! Then I guess I’ll stick to 2.79 for another while . :slightly_smiling_face:

Modifiers still don’t work and pre-2.80 projects still throw CTD from time to time.

I’d say try 2.80 just for getting aquainted with the new features.

1 Like

Quick note regarding face-dots: limit-selection-to-visible requires face centers for selection so face dots cannot be removed in that case. Updated the task to reflect this.

Edit: if you wan’t to try 2.7x w/o face-dots, enable “Texture Solid”, this was done so you could focus on the texture without distraction of face-dots (although it’s admittedly a hidden way of turning off face dots :smiley: )

5 Likes

One more wish : in paint mode the color picker should work as in photoshop (or as in Bpainter)
when you press S to sample a color, this color should be selected, should become your brush actual color

Hi guys, I thought a little about the PolyBuild Tool from the 2.8 development versions of Blender.
One could argue about this, but I would love to see an implementation like this:

You could retopo and model freely without Shrinkwraps and more in a “pen and paper” kind of way. Because If you know your topology, you can create it really fast by hand and then add edge loops, extrusions etc on top with the usual shortcuts. This is just to get a quick basis down.

These Ideas are loosely based on other Retopo tools such as the Topology Brush in ZBrush and the Draw Tool from XSI Softimage.

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

those are two pentagons :wink:

3 Likes

LGTM. Would still be nice if zero area polys were drawn as thick lines or dots in some kind of obnoxious color so you know they’re there. They’re almost always created by mistake, and the sooner the user knows about them, the less work it is to fix them.

I saw talk of remove doubles as a solution to this, but Remove doubles is almost always a very risky proposition, particularly with hard surface models.

1 Like

First row of mockup, extrude at cursor works like that.
Ctrl left click to create 1 vert. Continue to create more.
L to Select Linked. F to make face.
Basically, your proposal just skip selection requirement. That makes sense for first face.
But what happens when you want to create a second face.
There is already a mesh. Pre-Selection by hovering does not allow you to keep 2 isolated vertices as selection.
But without pre-selection by hovering, this polybuild tool is less efficient than just select an edge and extrude it. Even with, it is less efficient.

Second row, knife works like that. So, why keeping a tool that brings nothing to copy knife.

IMO, left click of polybuild is totally useless as is. Pre-selection by hovering is sympathetic and intuitive. But not to create triangles or quad in 2 times.

Polybuild should not create triangles. People making low poly models would rather quads, too. It should create quads by edge extrusion or 3 vertices selection. Then if you want a triangle, just delete one vert like alt left click does and adjust the survivor with right click drag. Wanting triangles is a rarer case.
Anyways, pre-selection is forcing user to create vertex in an area bounded by length of adjacent edge.
So, actual polybuild is forcing him to re-position vertices, too.

IMO, polybuild should be left click to extrude. Ctrl left click to extend vertices. Alt left click to delete selection.
Shift + hovering to extend selection. Ctrl+Shift+ hovering to deselect. And having a selection of 3 vertices or more should stop automatic pre-selection.

Selection done. Enter could be make face. Ctrl Enter, grid fill. Alt Enter, beauty fill.

2 Likes

I don’t understand here that facedot will be optional in 2.8, I only understand that it will be remove.

Current PolyBuild tool is a proof of concept.
There are just a bunch of tools added in to show how something like this is now possible.

Also it seems not to be as interactive as when I first added it (some missing refresh/update, I didn’t yet check on why).
So consider this a place-holder tool which needs work to make it something we would put in a release.

3 Likes

It was a mistake to say it would be removed.

But try to appreciate we already spend quite some time on meetings here, so instead of talking to everyone before making any decisions, sometimes its better to make a design and get feedback afterwards. As you can see the design has been edited to show this ability wont be removed.

9 Likes

Yeah, the problem, like we have told, is that you remove facedot in normal view, and we need it in normal view. I never use limit selection to visible unable. And the feedback that we give since yesterday is a lot of reasons to keep it like optional (global, not of each object) to allow users work like now. I don’t see the problem to keep it like option, like in maya.

I don’t see any reason to remove it from normal view mode, I need it.

If users want this as an option it can be an overlay (assuming there are good reasons - which seems to be the case).

4 Likes

Of course that we have good reasons. Some of the reasons that we have apported

• Is a good way to select hide faces or with few area in that moment (you can select facedot clicking outside the object)
  • Is a good way to have feedback about ngons with more faces that you want (facedot is not in the center, you have a problem)
  • Is a good way to use like reference to center objects or check that they are in center (you only need to see is two or more facedots are in same point or line)
  • Is a good way to see incorrect ngons with zero area that a lot of times are generated because you forgot some operation (extrude → cancel, new faces are created but not moved)
  • Is a good way to know where the cursor will go if you made a “3d cursor to selection”

This happens all days a loot of times, each few minutes, specially if you made hard surfaces. And I’m sure that it have more utilities that right now I don’t remember.

In the other hand. Do you have some plans to make a retopology mode? It was the only thing that 2.79 viewport needed specially, not xray or things like that. A solution to retopology like 3dcoat.

With the low poly model in a different color/tone, over the surface, allowing to see the high poly details and don’t seeing the backfaces/wires and far faces. That works in solid and matcap shading.

I’d like to, but no near term plans.

2.8 will need a lot of work just to bring it up to 2.7x level of stability.

2 Likes

I think this will work fine as a plugin. Which is not to say that this shouldn’t be a built in feature set, but if developers are busy with other priorities there is no reason the community here can’t take care of certain things on our own.

@JonathanW are you guys already working on making Retopoflow ready for 2.8?

Awesome! Btw regarding selections - I asked Pablo in one of the BlenderToday livestreams if there were any plans/discussions regarding pre-selection highlighting and he said no. I was just asking myself wouldn’t this help a lot with selecting different elements?

Could it be possible to create a task about the Poly Build tool?

There is no need for a retopolopgy mode, this tool is enough and with overlays we can make some king of preset.

The tool is great, it just need more work.

1 Like