Blender 2.8 development thread

The homepage for blender.chat says its backend is rocket.chat, but they say they’ll consider switching to matrix.

BF devs won’t use a chat except for puntual messages. And they have irc for that.

add render window in material node

Is it possible to have all the compositing nodes working with EEVEE in realtime.

I think you might be misreading this commit Ace. I think it means that popovers will act like menus if you click and hold the mouse button then drag down to the item and let go, thereby activating the item and closing the popover like a menu. The way it works now is that you click once to open the popover, move the mouse to the item, click on it to activate and then click outside the popover to close it. This new commit just makes the popovers behave like menus and thus quicker.

The previous way they work is not changed. You active the new style by simply treating it as if it was a menu. So, click and hold and then drag down to the item and let go.

1 Like

If some developer read this thread, could he explain why we don’t have wireframe and why the wireframe key have change to limit select to visible? won’t we have wireframe for first blender2.8?

1 Like

I’m also wondering

1 Like

Pablo said that on videos I think few times, many times it was mantioned in this forum. 2.8 is in development as you know, and many things are not ready yet. Same with wireframe mode. Old one was removed and there will be newer, better one, but it is not ready yet. Just like you could ask why modifiers are not working. Please, give some space to devs.

I know perfectly well that blender2.8 is in development. But since I’ve read William say there is no wireframe mode, now I see that the hotkey is changed to another function and the developers seem to avoid answering… everything seems strange to me, so I ask if it will be ready for the release of 2.8 or directly give up on it and that’s why they have changed the hotkey,

Devs have all the space they need. They have many fans here answering questions and running interference for them (as if they need it).

Thanks for the info. Don’t be a forum nanny.

2 Likes

I’d like some clarification on what they have planned for wireframe mode too.

4 Likes

Yes i know but even with 4k shadows you can still see strange clipping on corners, overall the shadow is nice and smooth but this clipping i don’t know whats causing this

Thats true but everything else in eevee is working so well its very easy to forget its still in development :wink:

I’m not. Just some information are really easy to find when you search for it. And about space - with every little change there are so many voices that devs don’t know what they’re doing and don’t listen to people etc. Of course, it is better to give you opionion but c’mon. Devs are not taken from street and they are not fresh students. I believe they know what to do. Just give them some time.

1 Like

I think that this bug was added later, the first builds that I made with shadows I don’t remember that problem.

Because it’s obvious…

The devs of other apps are doing great, they don’t miss anything…

Maybe, but I don’t think it beats Discord. Can it do voice/video chats, screenshare etc?

But hey, guys, better stop here… I’m not a fighter… To each their own… Let’s stick with the past, and all is fine :wink:

Coming in late but eevee right? I don’t have the same issue if I build the same thing.

Are you using contact shadows in your lights? Happy to check out your scene if you’d like.

Cheers,
Glenn

Hi.
@grsaaynoel, You forgot the sphere who is the one that projects shadow with artifact in first rectangle edge. You also do not show the problematic edge of the remaining rectangles.

@vvertex, Please, next time you share .blend file to better analyze the scene.

The problem occurs even in a build of 2018-02-23. I do not remember if before too.
The problem becomes more visible if you increase “Soft” in Shadows.
VSM method also produces strange things, such as halos intersection of shadows.

My test:
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=49535
If Blender crashes while attempting to open this scene, you will probably need the latest 2.8 build.

If this is not due to our error using bad configurations, Clément may already have knowledge of this problem.

No, what should be obvious is the fact that different people have different tastes. When a person has a difference in opinion on something, its because of that difference in taste. You yourself should understand that most blender users use blender along side other packages. You even replied to a thread which shows this much.

When there are a lot of people who prefer blender’s method of doing something over the method that you prefer, its most likely because folks who like that style tend to stick to software that fits those tastes.

I don’t advocate piracy, but if a user wanted to, they could easily find and use cracked versions of these expensive apps. Do not make the assumption that most people only use blender because its all they have access to. Heck there are even student versions of packages they could obtain without too much hassle.

============================================

I seriously doubt devs want or even need a video or voice chat service. Could you imagine the amount of time they’d waste in the day video conferencing people one on one? Forums and irc are more than enough for feed back. This is a non-profit we are talking about.

I think I should stop here as well. I’m not a fighter either. I’m just long winded and opinionated. Also, if you don’t want to argue, then please don’t say things which could rub people the wrong way.

We should probably try to keep this thread clear of too much opinion that isn’t directly related to recent news. There is a whole thread devoted to Eevee rendering issues, and although it’s been buried since the site changed, maybe it would be more productive to talk about that issue there, or on the Blender bug/task tracker?

It’s exciting to watch 2.8 develop, but it kinda sucks to check the thread for news and find there are 200 new comments, but they are mostly about floating windows or rendering bugs and not much news.

Not directly 2.8 related news, but it looks like they finally moved everyone out of the old Institute: https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/997435372274626561

3 Likes