Blender 2.8 development thread

Did ambient occlusion and bloom stop working on this last build or am I missing something?

I welcome the new functionality of collections but i have doubt regarding navigation/presentation.
I somehow find it way too over-complex with its doubled entries in the hierarchies, and the fact that it is all in one window.
I would prefer 2 editors, the collections as the driver for the visibility in the outliner. This might be easy to create with just a workspace/layout, but i find the default behavior confusing. Not to mention the outliner as a whole clumsy and limited.

Well, let’s criticize that too, it’s free for us :yum: (you know we love you devs)
In Workbench at the moment I do not like that in certain positions of view some faces/edges are not well differentiated, even with shadows enabled.
If you compare default cube with solid view in 2.79 and you orbit the view, you get cube faces always distinguishable, but in 2.8 Workbench in some positions some faces look very similar without a distinguishable boundary between them.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong, or maybe it’s still in plans to be improved.

EDIT:
Oh, I was definitely doing something wrong.
Apparently the “default studio light” shader is the one that presents the problem. With two of other three options the faces are much more distinguishable between them

Here is video using the snap tool and the new xray :slight_smile: thanks for your work dev. retopo 2.8 Bye bye wireframe :joy_cat::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

I still want wireframe back!

https://twitter.com/atmind/status/1000032099104116736

3 Likes

Do you have a source for that?

source For what?

A source for wireframe being removed

Did you watch the video? There is the source at the end :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Campbell has been doing a lot of UI changes today.

So amid all the UI and usability discussion here, keep in mind that everything is still in a heavily WIP state and that the Code Quest has at least one more month with all of the current developers. Also keep in mind that if the BF was a commercial vendor, we wouldn’t even see anything until the marketing material for SIGGRAPH was ready.

5 Likes

Wake me when dockable windows/panels, customizable menus and floating windows are implemented. :wink:

On the part in bold, the video by ErickBlender showed a floating window displaying some of the options in the preferences, does that count?

Those companies have a lot of beta testers who are experts in their software, there’s a lot of stuff that happens behind the scenes, mostly to avoid espionage by concurrent companies.

Blender Foundation has this forum and its user (not only) to do the tests, if we keep silent and wait until the project is done, and there’s something obvious that the team missed, who’s going to fix it? Another Code Quest next year?

4 Likes

Can’t see videos where I’m at moment, but if they are working on it that’s good news. :slight_smile:

I’m not arguing against feedback right now, I’m arguing against drawing conclusions (because it’s obvious the current feedback has already led to changes to make 2.8 better and more usable).

So keep the feedback coming, but do acknowledge there is still plenty of time for suggestions and proposals to be heard.

2 Likes

About those new area light types updates:
Will changing the size affect the size of shadows?
It does in cycles but does it also work in Eevee?

Shadows are currently not fully developed in eevee, scaling the area light will not effect the softness of the shadow.

OK, thank you!

But is it possible to make it work ( an approximation )?

I gues it works different but would love to see something like this in Eevee:

1 Like

Sheez, so many posts, so much I want to respond to, haha.

Definitely. Combining with modifier keys makes a lot of sense.

Well, I’m reflecting on my education, the education offered in many schools, the animation software being used by various film and game companies. I consistently see Maya more than any other software, which indicates widespread usage, which makes it a standard, if not the standard.

But, again, I only advocate this because it makes the artist so much more efficient.

Well, yes, I know about it, but… it’s a paid add-on, haha. Like we shouldn’t need to pay for an add-on to be able to easily change hotkeys. I just think it should be the same with pie menus. =)

No need to cringe. The task is called “Industry Standard Keymap” for a reason. Like it or not, Maya is pretty much the industry standard for animation work. That doesn’t automatically make everything Maya does good, but they did good with the marking menus.

I agree, this should be the driving philosophy behind pie menus. But at the same time, having additional menus as the bottom item as Maya does also adds to functionality.

YES. Now we just need that for duplicated windows and it’ll resolve the windows-not-staying-on-top problem. Will make so many people happy.

Are you sure about this? I tested Blender’s pie menus just last night and it seems to do this (just not right-click). You hold the hotkey for a pie menu, then quickly drag in the general direction of the item, and quickly let go before the menu items completely appear. Maybe not as natural as Maya’s version, but the ability seems to be there.

Agreed, that’s why I suggested it for the industry standard keymap, not Blender’s new keymap.

Same problem in 2.79 with a collapsed hierarchy or groups.
Show Active operator is still there.
You can disable Collections grouping display in filters pop-up.

It is button sticked to Overlays popover in 3DView header.
Definitely an improvement. A quicker access than in 2.79.

1 Like