Blender 2.8 development thread

So no shortcut for sculpt mode, texture paint mode, vertex paint mode, weight paint mode and particle edit mode ? Maybe you don’t use them that often, but someone else does ? They talked about it here if you want to have a look.

F1-F6 are used by Save operators, Repeat History, Editors switches.

The difficulty is that default keymap configuration is full. When you start modifying keymap configuration, you can’t stop. You are removing shortcuts uses and have to find replacement.
So probably, first step should be to remove shortcuts that are not essential, frequently used by Spring artists.
Then there will be a space for customization.

Seriously, you should try to use shortcut of entries of menu.

Because current solution is elegant. You don’t have to raise your finger very far.
Actually entering in Vertex edit mode is 2,2,1.
Entering in Edge Edit mode is 2,2,2.
Entering in Face edit mode is 2,2,3.
That’s less finger gymnastic than a Shift 3.
You just have to set your middle finger on 2 and things are becoming pretty intuitive.

1 Like

enough, and we will not forget about the contexts
in any case, we will not argue, the way the developers think. This is only the view of users

Juste tested, not really user-friendly either ^^

“Wasting your time, forcing me to spend my time customizing shortcuts again & again.”
Sisyphus

Please rather join - put Info editor (scripting) back on top with the header along with info on the bottom line header… now that’s become another confusingly inconsistent cluster fuck.

Also, why is asterix* gone notifying user about a modified file & instead a written text (Modified) appears on the bottom line? Who went full retard? Show yourself!

Also snapping/fixing the T-panel to 3 optional modes is painful to use, because one must always change it dependent on active tools/mode.
Snapping and options for icons or text or both is more than enough.

Give us only options, adaptivity… so we or anyone interested can do further UI design work without the need for coding. Hopefully not too much to ask… or is it?

It is all starting to show how really badly planned project it was. Ideas wonderful, planned poorly.
Hopefully will not stay half baked.

Say what was the flag about?

2 Likes

I have an addictive idea! we all have different hotkeys, so let them leave it as is, and time to spend on creating a really good editor of hotkey maps

4 Likes

If “Blender is for artists”… why not development ”is for artists” ?

The developers have hard user artists advising them in decision making? or the decisions are made by an technician and not by an artist who works every day with these changes ?
I just wanted to know that. Thank you

3 Likes

I loaded up an old file and hit play! Fantastic.
Glenn

20 Likes

“Look, i am your father & I know what’s best for you.” :rofl:

PS
Looks like someone doesn’t understands sarcasm, humor & paraphrasing.
‘Look’ = ‘Luke’

1 Like

I think the artists working on the Spring project among the other projects are also involved in the process which means there are going to be improvements due to the fact that there is first hand experience which is being passed from artists directly to developers so they can hone the tools.

4 Likes

Clement Foucault just committed a lot of work about the hair drawing, we should have better performance, better looking and hair info node support in eevee now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Open - Ctrl+O
Save - Ctrl+S, Ctrl+Shift+S
Repeat History - any other key, or from menu, this is not frequently used command (very controversial opinion :slight_smile: I know)
Editors switches - Shift + F1…F12

2 Likes

asterisk is not gone for me. This info is not visible if user is in Fullscreen mode Alt F11.
It is why it was added to status bar.
Status bar is also handling progress bar for rendering and baking and scene info that can no longer be displayed in top line. Because a line of 9 default workspace tabs can take the whole space.
New .blend files will probably contain less tabs.

There should be an improvement of workspace tabs to let space between them and Scene template if we want to restore things from status bar up there.
Probably, Scene and Renderlayer templates should ave Popover look.
So, maybe a status region could return to top line to display file info. But a path to a file can be too long.

I think that we can keep this part of status bar about file name at bottom. We could move progress bar to space between tabs and scene/renderlayer templates.
Except Memory and Blender version, Scene info could go to 3D View overlays.
So space of file name and warnings could to a third of width of bottom. Status bar would become a status editor that could be remove. And we could have Info Editor and Python console in 2 other thirds of bottom line for scripting.
And at bottom line

What do you mean go through seven tabs ? You don’t have to go through anything, just click the one you want. Have you been cycling through all of them each time ? Or are you saying that this one click is too much to get to the relevant information ?

Amazing!

Edit:
If you are not able to watch the video, you try updating your web browser.
Here the direct link to download and watch locally on your PC:
https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/3/c/1/3c1890cf5bf7c5fe645aacac75c9d682f095c5ec.webm

8 Likes

I’m not against change but these keymap proposals seem ill thought out. I go between edit and object mode a lot mote than any of the other modes and tabbing was nice for that… other modes I use less frequently and tend to stick in that mode a long time rather than switch in and out rapidly. . E.g. sculpt, paint, pose…

The context for different objects is so varied that using the number keys for mode switching isn’t appealing as it won’t be consistent… it will change… meshes have lots of modes they can be switched to. Curves, latices, have only two modes… armature has 3 modes… lights, cameras , empties only one. Using a shortcut between edit and object mode saves loads of time… the other modes it saves me virtually nothing and will be harder to access the correct number quickly without accidentally entering another mode.

Ctrl tab for workspace switching is something I’m open to but the old system was quick and easy to find with the ctrl arrow keys so doesn’t seem like a problem to solve.

As others have stated sub modes are changed much more frequently and do seem more important than mode switching. You just do them far more!

Tldr: tab was a great design decision and mode switching to other modes quickly is not such a frequent need for the other modes

3 Likes

What did you post? The video is not showing anything here ,but a blank screen.

It is a WebM video. It works here in Firefox and Chromium in Linux. Please, report the problem in Forum indicating your operating system and web browser.

You try with right button on the space where the video should be, and copy the link. Then you paste the link on a new tab to see if it gives options to download it to watch video on your operating system’s player.

1 Like

Seriously, give it a try.
It is not so blocking.
Object mode 1
Edit mode 2
It means that you press 2 keys that are next to each other.
As I said put your middle finger on 2 and you can just give a rotation to your hand to have a switch between object mode and edit mode.
It is not less left productive than a right click for selection and a left click to action.

And for these 2 modes, it is not hard to remember 1,2.
Campbell have just updated the keymap. Weight paint mode became 3. Pose mode for armature is 3.
Vertex paint mode is 4. Sculpt mode is 5. Paint mode is 6 and Particle mode is 7.
So, there is no more gap for any object type. Less frequent mode are at the end.
You can cycles through what comes after 2 if you don’t remember.
And after a little period of adaptation, you will remember order easily.

And shortcuts for submodes and pie-menus are not more difficult to remember. It is same shortcut than the mode to call it.

1 is not a switch like tab was.
We could imagine to use 1 as a modifier key to call a pie-menu to choose modes.
Press 1 object mode.
Hold 1 press 2 -> modes pie-menu