Blender 2.8 discontinue support old hardware

Different countries have different prices and standard of living … Think about it …

Doesn’t change the fact, if can’t afford ask for donations there is people who not only give it for free, but pay for shipping…

Or accept that your hardware can’t run new version and stick with old, Blender development should not be waiting for every person with old hardware.

As others have said, of all of the major DCC and content creation apps. (even including game engines), Blender 2.8 will still have some of the lowest hardware requirements you will find anywhere. Clement is even going through the trouble of trying to support Intel Integrated graphics with Eevee, that alone says a lot.

3 Likes

You can still run 2.8, but it will be slow.

In my hardware Blender 2.8 not run :frowning:

Your GPU core supports OpenGL 3.3 under Linux, in Windows it only supports up to 3.1

So if you run Linux it should be able to run 2.80

Are you on windows?

Yes, Windows.

I have such a machine an on windows won’t work, and on linux will work, albeit slow. You should do your research. And yup, you should upgrade your entire renderfarm. If you are just trolling™ for one machine, ask your local linux user group and probably they give one machine for free or, like in my case, for US$5.

Trolling or not trolling, count as you like. But on older laptops Blender 2.8 will not start. In General, I am also interested in the question of backward compatibility. Okay?

I’m live in not rich country. It sad, but it’s a cruel reality.
I can’t stop progress, I can’t stop technology, I can’t froze cgi in 1999.
CGI it always was not for everyone. It always was for people who can buy software and hardware.
Minimal hardware threshold always moving up. No one can stop it. You must be prepared for this.
sorry for my english

2 Likes

Not possible end of story

This is very sad … for many users of Blender in the World…

There is still plenty of time before 2.8< gets popular.
Imo at least year.

BTW where are you from?

And good news for large majority since old code finally getting ditched…

1 Like

I’m from Russia. Аnd my Country under European and USA economic sanctions, like in Iran and North Korea.

Russia is no where near dramatic when it comes to hardware…

Yes, but the standard of living is different … for someone $ 5 is a small thing … not so for many of us …

Let’s simplify the problem:
The 2.8 features are not compatible with old hardware. It has nothing to do with the devs not willing to support it. The HARDWARE doesn’t support it.

Sometimes progress requires letting go of the past. If you don’t believe that, then we should go back to Blender 1.0 and only support hardware from 20 years ago, because there might be someone out there with hardware even older than yours.

2 Likes

I will not answer this question.